Techstream on virtualized Windows 7 host - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Techstream on virtualized Windows 7 host

I'm trying to determine if Techstream will run on a Windows 7 host that is virtualized on a Windows 10 laptop?

Otherwise, I do have another older Toshiba that should be able to run it. However I'll need to upgrade the ram and try to reinstall the Windows 7 image since it's been upgraded to 10 as well.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:57 PM
Loyalist

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)

If you get it to work. Let me know. I tried a ton of combinations under 10. Was not stable enough for me.

Careful & Consistent

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:10 AM
Follower

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)

I am pretty sure it does, its a while back now but i think thats how i was running it when i went to 64bit on windows 7 and needed to run 32bit drivers for techstream at the time. I have Techstream 8.? running on windows 10 64 bit now.

TBH i have tried a couple of different versions of techstream (7, 8, 9) on windows 7 and 10, none of them have been very stable. Its always been slow to connect to the ECU, takes ages to save and update changes, and probably drops connection to the ECU about 1/2 - 2/3 of any connection i try to make with the ECU. Now it could be the miniVCI i am using or the ECU booting it off, but i would have expected the software to be able to cope with and maintain connections better given that it is written specifically for Toyota/Lexus. :/

2001 Altezza Gita JCE10
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:52 AM
Extremist

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)

This was my experience with techstream too. it seems like a terrible piece of software. Then again, I do wonder if it was written and tested on a specific PC platform. I have run it on a toughbook though which I believe is what the toyota techs use and it's no more reliable.

Hard to beat at $200. I have one of these out in my garage serving up music 24x7 and containing all my manuals. I use it with google docs to note my projects.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-T...Condition=3000

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01 SolarYellow View Post
If you get it to work. Let me know. I tried a ton of combinations under 10. Was not stable enough for me.
Good to know, thanks.

What did you use instead?

I'm considering a Launch or Autel, but they are pricey and I want access to all possible data and settings for both of my cars, including ECU reprogramming and steering calibration (for a Chevy I'm preparing to sell). I can't justify 1k for partial functionality, especially when I could pay less than $100 for full (for both Tech2Win and Techstream combined, albeit unstable which sounds dangerous for ecu flashing).

Last edited by trancend; 06-17-2019 at 11:57 AM. Reason: added quote
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut00 View Post
I am pretty sure it does, its a while back now but i think thats how i was running it when i went to 64bit on windows 7 and needed to run 32bit drivers for techstream at the time. I have Techstream 8.? running on windows 10 64 bit now.

TBH i have tried a couple of different versions of techstream (7, 8, 9) on windows 7 and 10, none of them have been very stable. Its always been slow to connect to the ECU, takes ages to save and update changes, and probably drops connection to the ECU about 1/2 - 2/3 of any connection i try to make with the ECU. Now it could be the miniVCI i am using or the ECU booting it off, but i would have expected the software to be able to cope with and maintain connections better given that it is written specifically for Toyota/Lexus. :/
Thanks for insight, sounds worrisome.

Have you tried anything past version 9?

I think it's up to 14, according to what is available on the odbii365 site.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek9B18 View Post
This was my experience with techstream too. it seems like a terrible piece of software. Then again, I do wonder if it was written and tested on a specific PC platform. I have run it on a toughbook though which I believe is what the toyota techs use and it's no more reliable.

Hard to beat at $200. I have one of these out in my garage serving up music 24x7 and containing all my manuals. I use it with google docs to note my projects.
So you still use it despite it being buggy and unstable, or is there anything else that can be used instead with all the same functionality (like an Autel or Launch)?

Do you avoid ECU flashing with it?

Thanks again.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek9B18 View Post
...Then again, I do wonder if it was written and tested on a specific PC platform. ...
Thought I read XP, but if dealerships are still using it to this day than I'd like to image at some point it was officially "brought up" to at least 7 (though XP and 7 I'm pretty sure share a common platform, which is NT, and 8 and 10 are still largely based on 7).
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:15 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

use VMware Workstation works the best.. I newer post if u want to go this rt.. http://blog.obdii365.com/2019/06/06/...-for-mini-vci/

"I know that SOB is cheatin! Cause, I'm cheatin and he beat me"!

Last edited by blackmenace; 06-17-2019 at 06:29 PM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:45 PM
Follower

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancend View Post
Have you tried anything past version 9?
No, i had trouble finding an easily accessible "free" version and gave up , but that would have been a few years ago now.

2001 Altezza Gita JCE10
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I work in IT and struggled getting any 64bit OS version to work, because like you found out, there is only a 32bit driver. Every combination of registry hack and custom driver file did nothing but waste time. You shouldn't have a problem virtualizing and running it as long as you have USB passthrough setup. Save yourself the headache and just install a 32bit OS, I use Windows 7. You should be fine with 8 also. I want to say I use version 12 and haven't had a problem with it once the OBD2-> USB adapter was detected correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page