Stumbled back into the IS world and I couldnt be happier! - Page 2 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asn007 View Post
Welcome back soldier! It's going to be a sweet reunion in July. I've had my IS300 since 2001 and never stopped loving it. Got other cool cars after it but can't ever let her go. The chassis just feels alive and is a joy to drive.

A manual that's stock is really hard to find...don't let her go this time!

Stay safe, Godspeed!
Thanks, I don't plan to get rid of it. I need to good reliable car to road trip from VA to TN a couple times a year. The reliability of the 2J is hard to deny. Plus I don't think I would be able to find a similar condition car down the road. This one is a 2 owner car with the 2nd owner having it for 12 years. Currently I drive a 2003 Escalade on that trip and get about 12 MPG so even the 25 or a little better on the IS will be quite nice on the fuel bill. The caddy calls for premium as well.

2004 Absolutely Red 5 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Here's a shot of the interior. Seems like it was cared for very well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	122841  

post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 01:38 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Dang, that is CLEAN! love the interior of the IS300, especially the instrument panel, feels like I'm in a cockpit. The whole car is just designed so well...except for where that oil filter is!

btw, I never got past 20 mpg. After installing cams/gears, I'm getting around 17-18...just terrible but I still love driving her hard!

Suspension: Tanabe Sustec Pro RR 16kg, Cusco UCA & trunk bar, Figs MegaArms, Tanabe SB, UR underbraces, fender brace, floor bar, TRD door stabilizers
Brakes: Supra BBK w/Racing Brake 2 piece rotors
Engine: BC264, Fidanza, PLP intake, Dezod headers, Tanabe exhaust, Koyo radiator, Gates belt, Fig heat shield, Derale cooler, VibraTechnic engine mounts
External: Lsportline, Beatrush underpanel & radiator panel
Internal: Recaro Sportster CS
Wheels: TRD T3 Bronze/Michelin PS4S
4.10 Torsen LSD

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by asn007 View Post
Dang, that is CLEAN! love the interior of the IS300, especially the instrument panel, feels like I'm in a cockpit. The whole car is just designed so well...except for where that oil filter is!

btw, I never got past 20 mpg. After installing cams/gears, I'm getting around 17-18...just terrible but I still love driving her hard!
Funny you say that because I've been in many a fighter cockpit. Minus the MPG gauge that I find annoying and pointless I really enjoy how different it is than the normal clusters out there. To bad that MGP gauge wasn't an oil pressure gauge. I figure on a road trip cruising at 70 I should be able to see mid 20's but honestly it doesn't matter to me. As long as I enjoy what I'm driving I don't pay attention to fuel mileage.

post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 02:21 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

haha yeah, that MPG gauge is pointless...there is a TRD/Altezza gauge with an oil temp gauge on it, more useful. Yeah, I'm more concern with the smiles per miles instead of MPG but makes no sense when engines with more power get better fuel efficiency. Guess we can't have it all!
nismofan240 likes this.

Suspension: Tanabe Sustec Pro RR 16kg, Cusco UCA & trunk bar, Figs MegaArms, Tanabe SB, UR underbraces, fender brace, floor bar, TRD door stabilizers
Brakes: Supra BBK w/Racing Brake 2 piece rotors
Engine: BC264, Fidanza, PLP intake, Dezod headers, Tanabe exhaust, Koyo radiator, Gates belt, Fig heat shield, Derale cooler, VibraTechnic engine mounts
External: Lsportline, Beatrush underpanel & radiator panel
Internal: Recaro Sportster CS
Wheels: TRD T3 Bronze/Michelin PS4S
4.10 Torsen LSD
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 09:22 AM
Loyalist

Quoted: 103 Post(s)

I'm more concerned with the MPG than the smiles per miles myself. Unfortunately I am emotionally attached to the thing and won't let it go. But I really need to get myself a hybrid for DD or something. My mothers SUV gets better mileage....I'm sorry but it's just terrible.

I have the altezza cluster and there's mixed info on how to make that gauge work. I just have never looked into it as I have an external gauge for that....and for water....as the water gauge does not work either. Other than that it was pnp with a Dakota box for rev correction.
nismofan240 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
1-8-7 on the undercova i-s-3-hundgy
IS3TT
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 09:41 AM
Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismofan240 View Post
Here's a shot of the interior. Seems like it was cared for very well.

You need to take that dash out and paint it before the sticky dash issue arise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'03 IS300 SD TCM 5-SPD LSD
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 01:59 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 48 Post(s)

Quote:
I gave 6900 for it. I feel that was within reason. Not great not terrible. I know you would have to add a couple grand to that for me to let it go.
Great price, I would've paid around that much as well. Someone else recently tried to sell me one in less than average condition with over 200k miles and asked for $8,500. No maintenance records. His reasoning? Because it's a manual transmission. Thanks, but no thanks...
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 02:24 PM
Mr. Roo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)

Quote:
The caddy calls for premium as well.
So does the IS300....
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynca View Post
You need to take that dash out and paint it before the sticky dash issue arise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's a few sticky spots. Ill scope it out when I get home and see what's up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2884987 View Post
Great price, I would've paid around that much as well. Someone else recently tried to sell me one in less than average condition with over 200k miles and asked for $8,500. No maintenance records. His reasoning? Because it's a manual transmission. Thanks, but no thanks...
Guess you cant blame a fella for trying! somebody will pay it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasSing View Post
So does the IS300....
Yea everything I own take premium. Cars that take 87 are boring but they do have their place though.
TobiasSing likes this.

post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Small update. I had a buddy replace the pass headlight ballast because it was doing the usual cutting on and off. The dealer we got it from purchased the ballast for us so that was nice. I also picked up some LS400 calipers and an OEM rebuild kit. I got the full Figg's adapter kit with the RCA spacer. That bad boy is expensive but it seems like he does a lot for the IS community so its worth it. I like to help out companies that help us out when I can.
I have a buddy that powder coats so it wont cost me anything to do the calipers which is nice. Once I get back to the U.S. and get all that done ill get some wheels and I'm looking at maybe some fortune coils with swift springs. Fortune Auto is about an hour from me and they are good dudes and they stand by their products. That's about it so far.

post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I had a set of Fortunes on my FRS and they rode great. No complaints. Any plans for aesthetics?
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroomin350 View Post
I had a set of Fortunes on my FRS and they rode great. No complaints. Any plans for aesthetics?
I picked up a square set of Work Cr Kai's in 18x8.5 so that will be the main aesthetics on the car. Coupled with the drop and maybe a lip down the road it should look pretty nice. I picked up a catback for a little more noise. That will pretty much have me set for a while.

Once I get home I am going to go over the whole car and change fluids, plugs, valve cover gaskets as preventative maint. I will powder coat the valve covers and ditch the plastic engine cover and I'll give the engine bay a good cleaning at the same time.

post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 12:25 AM
Loyalist

Quoted: 103 Post(s)

Best looking wheels IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
1-8-7 on the undercova i-s-3-hundgy
IS3TT
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
I picked up a square set of Work Cr Kai's in 18x8.5 so that will be the main aesthetics on the car. Coupled with the drop and maybe a lip down the road it should look pretty nice. I picked up a catback for a little more noise. That will pretty much have me set for a while.

Once I get home I am going to go over the whole car and change fluids, plugs, valve cover gaskets as preventative maint. I will powder coat the valve covers and ditch the plastic engine cover and I'll give the engine bay a good cleaning at the same time.

Nice. I did all the maintenance plus water pump/vvt/cam gear less than 10,000 miles ago, with an oil change about 5k.

Before I start spending money on the outside I want to replace every possible bushing/ball joint possible but don't know where to start.
Mathieu Bernier likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page