Spark plugs/coils ms3 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Spark plugs/coils ms3

So im planning on going turbo this weekend, first platform with a 2jz-ge im looking for performance plugs/coils so i dont misfire, is there a certain one people usually get?ngk 1 step colder? Not sure on coils

Also which megasquirt is needed to tune?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:08 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Unless you'll really be getting into "high boost" right after you get it built, wired, and tuned this weekend - I think you'll be ok running the oem coils. Once you are really leaning on it and start to have ignition issues even with ~.020" spark plug gap, you can take a look at the LQ9 and IGN-1A coils, which are the common upgrade coils people are having success with.

For plugs, I like the cheap copper NGK BKR7E.

I think you'd be able to tune a 2J with an original Megasquirt, the MS2 or the MS3. Or the Microsquirt. They'll all do the job, just depends on what all features you want (or need) to incorporate.

Sure sounds like you've got a busy week and weekend in front of you!

Last edited by Hodgdon Extreme; 06-05-2019 at 02:17 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgdon Extreme View Post
Unless you'll really be getting into "high boost" right after you get it built, wired, and tuned this weekend - I think you'll be ok running the oem coils. Once you are really leaning on it and start to have ignition issues even with ~.020" spark plug gap, you can take a look at the LQ9 and IGN-1A coils, which are the common upgrade coils people are having success with.

For plugs, I like the cheap copper NGK BKR7E.

I think you'd be able to tune a 2J with an original Megasquirt, the MS2 or the MS3. Or the Microsquirt. They'll all do the job, just depends on what all features you want (or need) to incorporate.

Sure sounds like you've got a busy week and weekend in front of you!
I dont think ill get it tuned for about another week or so out, just wanting to get everything together, and im not sure which megasquirt to get i went on diyautotune.com and saw they have one thats the expansion pack or something but im not sure on which options to get either, and thanks for the info on the plugs and coils, im only aiming for like 350-375whp with the stock head
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E82E00E2-4A94-4445-AAF7-2B771CF3CD07_1559766802184.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	124521  

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:02 AM
Fiend

Quoted: 144 Post(s)

Stock is ok up to a point, I’d say 18 psi is where mine started to break up/blow out the spark. At least, that’s what it looked like on the datalogs. Im sure it’ll go beyond that - MKIV supras get into the 20’s psi but they are COP, not wasted-spark. I’m running Denso IK22 plugs, which is what the Aristo has stock. I went to sequential spark with a Yaris COP setup, for S’s and G’s. It’s easy enough to just buy the brackets, coilpacks (from junkyard so you know they’re not counterfeit), and make your own harness. The price on complete COP setups is ridiculously expensive whether you buy Yaris/GTR/GM. Way cheap and simple to make it yourself.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Alright cool, im not planning on going crazy anyways, just something to have fun with, also whats a good tuner? I dont think anyone tunes local for 2jz’s
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:43 AM
Fiend

Remote tuning is an option for people that don’t have a local tuner. I deal with Brewed Motorsports Montana. Give Eric and Alex an email to see what they can do for you.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:13 PM
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris OK View Post
Remote tuning is an option for people that donít have a local tuner. I deal with Brewed Motorsports Montana. Give Eric and Alex an email to see what they can do for you.
I know this remote-tuning thing has become somewhat common over the past couple years, but I'm not a real big fan of it - particularly for initial setups.

For remote tuning to work well, the car has to be 100% correct with the exception of the 1's and 0's programmed into the ECU.

It's pretty rare when somebody rolls in with a fresh build where everything is hooked up right and is simply AJ-squared away. There's almost always some odds and ends that need experienced hands and eyes. Whether it's confirming that baseline timing on the timing light agrees with what the ECU is commanding, or fuel pump relay control, or boost control solenoid plumbed correctly... There's dozens of these particulars that are super easy to get wrong.

Once the car is known to be setup correctly, everything functioning correctly, and all you need is a qualified tuner - the remote tuning becomes a much better option.

Just my $0.02
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:07 PM
Fiend

That’s true, and I agree with you. I swapped my motor/trans myself and built the harness for the standalone too. I’ll admit not everyone can do that. Prolly could have tuned it, but felt that was a bit beyond my capabilities. I’ve never been to a dyno tune, but from what I understand the car needs to be “on point” and ready for tuning, otherwise your tuning sesh turns into a gremlin chase at an exorbitant fee. It’s like everything else, if you can do part of it yourself, it makes it easier on the wallet and you have an understanding on how to fix things when they break. So, I see your point, but you have to agree from another techies standpoint that a remote tune would be good for someone mechanically/electrically inclined.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:08 PM
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris OK View Post
...but you have to agree from another techies standpoint that a remote tune would be good for someone mechanically/electrically inclined.
Absolutely!

Surprised to hear you didn't do the tuning stuff yourself. That's the biggest source of fun for me.

Also, when it's your car, and you have access to it day after day, you can develop a way better overall calibration that a tuner-dude can in an afternoon. It's easy enough to get WOT fueling and timing setup correctly, but calibrating all the transients, fuel cooling effect, cold start, warm start, etc etc etc - takes months to really nail down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page