post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 10:49 AM
CRB
Extremist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazdoc

It's like when I get someone complainging that "they have clicking in thier front end." I am thinking like," Is it gastritis, peptic ulcer, esophagitis/GERD, pancreatitis, hepatitis, cholecystitis, choledocololithiasis, nephritis, nephrolithiasis, appendicitis, IBD, IBS, ischemis bowel, ileus, volvulus, constipation, or a hernia?" And then they want me to fix is without an exam.

In your case david2004, I consulted with my Tarot Cards (HIPPOCRATIC Edition) and you IS300 has IBS.
So your professional opinion Spaz is that his Lexus has Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) ... Okay, there you go david2004 take that diagnosis to your local dealer and let them have at it.

BTW, I B.S. on occasion and it doesn't hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 10:51 AM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossMan
I recommend you read the first post one more time, because he says nothing about an extended warranty in it. It is called a powertrain warranty and all IS come with it.

I never said there were no CV joints in the IS. I know where they are, you don't have to tell me. The reason CV joints click when going around turns with a FWD car is because they are put at a severe angle when making sharp turns. The CVs in the IS are not put at this severe angle when going around turns therefore there should be no reason for them to click any more when turning than they do going in a straight line.

I'm trying to help the guy with suggestions and I tried recommending him to bring it to another shop and you start bickering about my post? If you are going to insult my post, at least know what you are talking about.
I think Bartkat was just saying that the Thread starter was just asking for some advice and was just responding to your "BossMan" attitude toward the problem.

The poster wasen't looking for someone to boss him around like a 10yr old he was just looking for some friendly advice from fellow IS owners. Your tone of posting was a little on the offensive side.

Now in reguards to the warranty issue, I would take it to Lexus. The $96 would be worth the piece of mind that a qualified trained Lexus mechanic looked at the problem and will tell you what is wrong.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Deity

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieSleeps

If you get it fixed at a different shop there is no way lexus will reimburse you. That's not a feasable option.

Sorry De, but thats not true.

Just three weeks ago, a friend of mine was traveling through New Orleans (he has family there). The ignition coil in one of the cylinders of his 3 series went bad. No dealer nearby could look at this car due to the backup in New Orleans right now.

So my friend went to a local autoparts store, bought the part himself and installed it.

Got back to Houston, showed them the receipt... they not only reimbursed him on the spot, but they replaced all the coils.

Its the right thing to do.

Once awhile back, I took a Honda to a local shp to have the brakes replaced... when I got the car back, the brakes were terrible.. no pressure in the system. I let them look at it again and they said "I dunno"... so I took it to the Honda dealer who then proceeded to charge me 100 bucks to bleed the brakes... the brakes were perfect again...

I went back to the local shop, showed them the receipt, they even called the Honda dealer to make sure that was all that was needed...

They then issued a reimbursement for the work...

Again, its the right thing to do. And Lexus will do it too.

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 11:37 AM
Immortal

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I think De means that if Lexus offered (or was able) to fix it, but this guy takes it some place else and has them perform the work, Lexus will not reimburse the costs.

Thats how I read it at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaSchmonda View Post
I would give Denard a blowjob while I wear my #16 Michigan jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm__ View Post
maybe your the one that's stupid. It's spelt "Canada", not "canadia"
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 11:58 AM
Deity

Lexus wants 90 bucks to look at it.... IF it turns out to be a warranty repair, they wont charge him... while that practice might not be illegal, it is bad for business.

He shouldnt have to "gamble" with his 90 bucks to find out if its a powertrain issue or not... nor should he abuse an independent shop by using them for a free diagnosis if he has no intentions of using them for the repair.

I would notify Lexus before I take it to the shop of my choice what I intend on doing. If they want to waive the fee, great.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 12:17 PM
Immortal

Correct, thats why I said he should check the "no charge" box or make the monetary sum "0." It's a gimmick. They did this to my mother's ES that just recently went out of the 4 year warranty. If you go about it by those means, they look at the car anyway...its shady.

Quote:
Quote:
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 01:54 PM
Deity

^ good point, but I would hate to get caught in the middle of that game.

Charging a fee for diagnostics may be seperate than saying you authorize $0 for repairs. Too shady for me, and I dont support that type of business practice. I would much rather support a qualified independent shop and get reimbursed as necessary.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 03:56 PM
Immortal

I see your point, it can get very strange at the dealer and in the end they are holding the keys to your car and aren't going to give them back if you don't satisfy the monetary means.

Quote:
Quote:
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 04:25 PM

Hi, new member here. Just looking through the boards to get a better idea of what the IS is all about.

Just to throw in my .02 on the subject real quick.

Most dealerships are all the same; I've worked at two myself. The dealer (as well as Lexus Corp.) is a business. And bottom line, the dealer is in the business of making money, not fixing cars for free. Charging a small diag. fee is not unreasonable to ask for IMO if the problem winds up not being covered under warranty or if they cannot duplicate it.

Service managers generally have previous experience as techs/writers themselves, but they get older and lazier, and enjoy the big paycheck without having to twist wrenches all day. Maybe go back and ask to do a ride along with one of the techs instead. They should be willing to do that for you.

It doesn't hurt to ask them to waive the charge or perhaps do a little persuasive bargaining and see if they'll split it with you or something. Being a jerk about it and raising bloody hell on the middle of the service drive can go one of two ways. If you're old enough, and throw enough cash around, it will probably go well for you. If you're young and have an attitude, be prepared to have the price increase and go home with a slow leak in your front left tire, lol. (totally joking…..about the slow leak that is).

Dealers always charge through the nose, but they generally have higher operating costs. It's not "bad for business" to charge a customer for a service. The tech is going to want to get paid for his time, the service writer will want to be compensated for writing the ticket and on down the line. "We spend lots of money so we pass our savings on to you!" basically, ha ha. But a certified technician is a certified technician. Find a reputable foreign car shop and call and see if they do free estimates.

Good luck! And write a letter if you want to. You never know.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for all the good advice. Much apprciated all the help from the forum members. The reason I am not happy with Longo Lexus is because they should tell me there will be fee if the problem is not covered by the powertrain warranty before I take my car in since I already told them it is over 50,000 miles (54k to be exact). If I need to pay Lexus to inspect my car, I can basically just take my car to local mechanic to have it look at it for free.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 03:32 AM
Fiend

You got it. If I were you, I will definitely take my car to local and see if there is a free estimate. And yes, I will write a letter to Lexus NA in such case.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 02:41 PM
Follower

Don't waste your time with Lexus NA. They've been pretty useless in my experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page