• 1 Post By IM QUIKR

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Serp belt tesioner

I replaced my TB and water pump a few weeks ago and gave my serpentine belt tensioner a once over and the bearing felt solid and just reinstalled it. It was a 100k miles ago when the tesioner pulley began squeeking so I priced out a full unit from rockauto. If I recall it was $120 or so. Not too bad really. Then I saw the bearing was a 6302 2R and figured I would just replace the bearing and save $115. Well, now the pulley has 260,000 miles on it (100k bearing) and I didnt notice the pulley surface was pretty rough and pitted where the belt rides and has already started to wear on the back side of the belt. I went back to rockauto and ordered a new pulley for $18 shipped. Of course the bearing on the 4seasons pulley was a cheap chinese bearing, good for maybe 60,000 miles. I pressed out the pulley's bearing and replaced it with a new SKF 6302 before reinstalling it on the car. I bought 6 SKF bearings off ebay for $25. Im confident this will last another 250,000 miles. The spring part of the tensioner should last the life of the car, its the bearing that fail and starts making noise when it fails.

I have replace pulley bearings on virtually every vehicle I have owned. Am I the only one who routinely swaps out just the bearing around here or is it common to do? I couldnt find any threads on the pulley bearings.

What I like about this car is that I look for parts to update to keep it running well. Its so easy and a pleasure to work on. All except for the motor mounts that is.

The pulley is worn badly. The koyo bearing I had pressed in it is still solid and smooth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5082.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	593.7 KB
ID:	123041   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5083.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	619.1 KB
ID:	123043  
Ek9B18 likes this.

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
-- Pres. George Washington
Real gun stats will shock you

Last edited by IM QUIKR; 03-17-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 06:12 PM
Follower

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)

I havent had any issues with pulley bearings on any of the cars i have owned over the years, low or high mileage so ive never replaced them. I tend to give things a spin and feel their action as i am pulling apart and putting together, a left over from working in factory maintenance when i was younger, so i make sure its all good and will swap out if needed. Personally I have never seen a pulley wear that much, but with 260000 miles (~416000km) on it i am not surprised!

2001 Altezza Gita JCE10
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 06:57 AM
Extremist

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)

Quote:
I have replace pulley bearings on virtually every vehicle I have owned. Am I the only one who routinely swaps out just the bearing around here or is it common to do? I couldnt find any threads on the pulley bearings.
Typically I just order another OEM pulley. I swapped out all the tensioners on my 1UZ. Seeing you results, in the future I'll definitely try it.

You do run into situations where the other parts are too worn. Your pulley there looks pretty chewy. It might be due for replacement.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek9B18 View Post
Typically I just order another OEM pulley. I swapped out all the tensioners on my 1UZ. Seeing you results, in the future I'll definitely try it.

You do run into situations where the other parts are too worn. Your pulley there looks pretty chewy. It might be due for replacement.
I did replace the pulley but removed the crap Chinese bearing and pressed in a SKF bearing in its place before installing.

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
-- Pres. George Washington
Real gun stats will shock you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page