• 1 Post By Davef_dci
  • 1 Post By Hodgdon Extreme

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Sell us your 1st gen IS300 project car?

Howdy, New to the forum so I hope this is correctly posted - if not I apologize and please redirect me! We are an amateur endurance race car team currently competing a Dodge Neon chassis in the Champ series but have decided to try fielding an IS300. As such we are on the hunt for a 1st gen IS300 donor car to begin work on. We're assuming that building the car will take us about a year.

We will be completely stripping the car and completely rebuilding the engine and possibly the trans so it occurred to us that there might be some half-finished project cars with little current general consumer value that have a decent amount of value to us. Plus, if you'd get a kick out of seeing your IS300 turned into a race car then we're the team for you. We'll be removing all the interior, seats, lights, HVAC, power steering, dash, etc. so none of this really matters to us. We'll also be stripping down the doors, hood and deck to just the skins as we'll be adding a full roll cage so there's a fair amount of body and all of the interior that we don't care about.

We plan on running a MegaSquirt controller so we don't necessarily need a running car although the opportunity to baseline the operation of drive-by-wire, variable valve timing and intake runners on ECU operation is attractive.

We are located in Madison, WI and the ideal car would be close by although we're willing to ship.

We do NOT want already race-prepped cars. If your car is stripped and has a roll cage we're not going to be interested. We want control of this part of the exercise.

If you've been thinking of parting with your IS300 and think it might be a match for us then just send me a message.

Thanks for your attention!

Dave
Posh469 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:42 PM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)

check craigslist. theres an 01 not that far from you that needs work.

Lucy; 04 manual sportdesign
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:47 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 88 Post(s)

Sounds fun. I think the IS is a great platform and should be very competitive with the BMWs.

My 2Ę is DON'T buy one from your area, on account of salt/corrosion. I have two of these cars - one that lived in Jersey, and the other in Florida. Same age, not a lot of difference in miles, but the overall condition of the underneath is world's apart. The Florida car is a joy to work on and everything comes apart nicely. The Jersey car sucks, and sloughs off all kinds of rusty debris on the floor every time I work on it. The extra $500-1000 you'll pay to ship would be well worth it to get an uncorroded car, I think, because you'll be wrenching on the chassis all the time.
Mathieu Bernier likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:19 AM
Lurker

Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Looking forward to seeing this future build. I raced an SC300 in chump for a few years and am now tracking my IS300 at HPDEs. I'm glad to see they lowered the VPI to 500 for the IS300. I think the biggest disadvantage you'll have is the fuel tank size and this cars gas mileage in making 2 hours. Other than that the car can be made to be pretty quick.

Also I'm sure you've seen Brandon's build. Super super clean....almost too clean to race imo.
https://www.my.is/forums/f219/is300-...-build-533217/
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:35 AM
Follower

Quoted: 145 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbucker87 View Post
Looking forward to seeing this future build. I raced an SC300 in chump for a few years and am now tracking my IS300 at HPDEs. I'm glad to see they lowered the VPI to 500 for the IS300. I think the biggest disadvantage you'll have is the fuel tank size and this cars gas mileage in making 2 hours. Other than that the car can be made to be pretty quick.

Also I'm sure you've seen Brandon's build. Super super clean....almost too clean to race imo.
https://www.my.is/forums/f219/is300-...-build-533217/
Wow, that build was very detailed! Thanks for sharing it, since I haven't seen it before.

02' MT w/MK3 Supra LSD and no sunroof
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:50 AM
Fiend

Quoted: 78 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davef_dci View Post
Howdy, New to the forum so I hope this is correctly posted - if not I apologize and please redirect me! We are an amateur endurance race car team currently competing a Dodge Neon chassis in the Champ series but have decided to try fielding an IS300. As such we are on the hunt for a 1st gen IS300 donor car to begin work on. We're assuming that building the car will take us about a year.

We will be completely stripping the car and completely rebuilding the engine and possibly the trans so it occurred to us that there might be some half-finished project cars with little current general consumer value that have a decent amount of value to us. Plus, if you'd get a kick out of seeing your IS300 turned into a race car then we're the team for you. We'll be removing all the interior, seats, lights, HVAC, power steering, dash, etc. so none of this really matters to us. We'll also be stripping down the doors, hood and deck to just the skins as we'll be adding a full roll cage so there's a fair amount of body and all of the interior that we don't care about.

We plan on running a MegaSquirt controller so we don't necessarily need a running car although the opportunity to baseline the operation of drive-by-wire, variable valve timing and intake runners on ECU operation is attractive.

We are located in Madison, WI and the ideal car would be close by although we're willing to ship.

We do NOT want already race-prepped cars. If your car is stripped and has a roll cage we're not going to be interested. We want control of this part of the exercise.

If you've been thinking of parting with your IS300 and think it might be a match for us then just send me a message.

Thanks for your attention!

Dave
Nice! I'm in SE Wisconsin! While I can't help out - I too would like to see what comes of this project!
- There are a few in our area as well if you CL Search Kenosha - Racine / (Chicago Area) IS300.

<3 IS LUV <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page