1Likes
  • 1 Post By TobiasSing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Passenger HID Headlight Not Working Correctly

After putting on side skirts at night, I turned on the car/lights only to see that my passenger HID is not working. After flickering the switch a few times, it will work but the times it doesn't, the ballast will make a buzzing sound for a short second. Also, when I start the engine, the passenger light that was previously on will shut off. It seems like I would haft to be lucky (after 4-5 tries) in order to have both the HID headlight on when igniting the engine. Now I am still learning on cars and a bit newbie with this stuff. Tomorrow I will switch the HIDs out and see if it is the Bulb, ballast, or relay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 05:16 AM
Enthusiast

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongstatus View Post
After putting on side skirts at night, I turned on the car/lights only to see that my passenger HID is not working. After flickering the switch a few times, it will work but the times it doesn't, the ballast will make a buzzing sound for a short second. Also, when I start the engine, the passenger light that was previously on will shut off. It seems like I would haft to be lucky (after 4-5 tries) in order to have both the HID headlight on when igniting the engine. Now I am still learning on cars and a bit newbie with this stuff. Tomorrow I will switch the HIDs out and see if it is the Bulb, ballast, or relay.
Ballast is going out. Will need to replace it soon.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

interesting, is that the reason that it is having trouble igniting the HID bulb when starting the engine?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 02:13 PM
Enthusiast

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)

Yes, Just plan on getting another oem ballat and a seal for the compartment.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 02:49 PM
Mr. Roo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)

If the ballast is buzzing for a second and nothing lights, then the ballast is working properly, and the bulb is dead. If there was no buzzing, then the ballast would be dead. However, it's not always that straightfoward, so the only real way to check it is to do what you say and switch stuff around and figure it out. Is it possible that your batter ran low while working on the car? Happens to me all the time lol.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasSing View Post
If the ballast is buzzing for a second and nothing lights, then the ballast is working properly, and the bulb is dead. If there was no buzzing, then the ballast would be dead. However, it's not always that straightfoward, so the only real way to check it is to do what you say and switch stuff around and figure it out. Is it possible that your batter ran low while working on the car? Happens to me all the time lol.
That does happen with me too! a week ago I was fitting an integra type r wing on the is300 (which looks amazing btw) and I left the door open causing some power to be used from sounds/lights causing me to need a jumpstart.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

now im probly gonna get slammed for this question and i deff fell like a idiot for asking but does each headlight have its own ballast?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 11:46 AM
Follower

Quoted: 141 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyrules420 View Post
now im probly gonna get slammed for this question and i deff fell like a idiot for asking but does each headlight have its own ballast?

Yes. Right behind each headlight you'll see the ballast.

02' MT w/MK3 Supra LSD and no sunroof
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:16 PM
Fiend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)

Quote:
If the ballast is buzzing for a second and nothing lights, then the ballast is working properly, and the bulb is dead. If there was no buzzing, then the ballast would be dead. However, it's not always that straightfoward, so the only real way to check it is to do what you say and switch stuff around and figure it out.
When i had the same issue last year the ballast was buzzing but it was the ballast at fault, had me chasing my tail with the bulbs though as it would sometimes follow the bulb when testing and sometimes not.

2001 Altezza Gita JCE10
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:38 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Actually the ballast is mounted under the headlamp housing. The only way to access is to remove the lower large access panel - then the bumper. When one of my ballasts went - I replaced both ballasts, and every bulb I had access to so as to not have to remove all that again for awhile.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

yea i figured that right after i did this post i replaced the driverside ballasat because that was the side that kept going out it will now let me put the highbemas on without it going out after i turn the highbeams off but if i turn the headlights themselfs off then turn them right back on the drivers side will not work i have to wait a good 10 mins before i can get it to work again im figuring the bulb must be shot..... thanks for the reply tho bud
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 06:24 PM
Mr. Roo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut00 View Post
When i had the same issue last year the ballast was buzzing but it was the ballast at fault, had me chasing my tail with the bulbs though as it would sometimes follow the bulb when testing and sometimes not.
well yeah I guess there are always exceptions to the rule. Could have been a problem with the actual bulb connector in your case, or something else, who knows. My statement was more for a general rule of thumb to get started in a pinch, but nothing beats just swapping parts left and right to test.
Pnut00 likes this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:26 PM
Fiend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)

Quote:
well yeah I guess there are always exceptions to the rule. Could have been a problem with the actual bulb connector in your case, or something else, who knows. My statement was more for a general rule of thumb to get started in a pinch, but nothing beats just swapping parts left and right to test.
Could be, I've had bulbs blow on other cars and could trace it easily with the bulb swap method, but not this time. I have a feeling i might have ended up leaving the bulbs swapped, i had a spare headlight so swapped the ballast and bulb from that as it looked less burnt. The cable was definitively squeezed up tight in there though which did make me wonder why more people dont have wiring or plug issues.

2001 Altezza Gita JCE10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page