Oversensitive TRAC? - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been driving my new IS300 for over a week now, and I love it. I do though, notice that my traction control seems REALLY sensitive. Living in Seattle, this car gets driven on a lot of wet roads, but still the traction control seems to kick in on half of the turns I take. Also, on straightaway acceleration, I notice it kicking in a lot. I've had it kick in on dry roads also.

Does this seem consistent with everyone else's experiences with the IS? I know that there was discussions about ECU updates and TRAC replacments, but I thought that this was only on 2001 models.

For comparison, I've been in my friends 330, and there is a huge difference in the two cars. His traction control kicks in when his tires break loose. Mine kicks in much more often.

Any information is appreciated. I am wondering if I should bring this up to my dealer when I get my 1000 mile service.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 12:04 PM
Lurker

yes, i have noticed the same thing. i usually turn my t/c off everytime i get into the car. i think that it is way too sensitive.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 03:59 PM
Lurker

I don't know for a fact, but the traction control seems to be in tandem with steering angle, or possibly with rear wheel speed sensors. Steering angle sensor would tell the ECU that you are still in a turn, so if the driver tries to mash the throttle, it engages TRAC for ya.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 06:16 PM
Frequenter

Yeah TRAC really sucks sometimes. Especially when you come around on a good hard turn and lay in on the throttle. It takes the fun out of it sometimes.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 09:40 PM
Extremist

Its called getting your trac updated at lexus..

Do your DD..

werd!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2001, 11:42 PM
Enthusiast

<TABLE BORDER=0 CELLPADDING=0 CELLSPACING=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD COLSPAN=2><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD>&nbsp;</TD><TD><FONT SIZE=-1>
On 2001-12-12 23:40, Lexus_Rex wrote:
Its called getting your trac updated at lexus..

Do your DD..

</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD COLSPAN=2><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Ummmmm.....I believe he has an '02 model, which to my understanding, does not need the update. However, please correct me if I'm wrong.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2001, 11:56 AM
Aficionado

No, the traction control sucks! I have the update, and it is a little better...but it still basically just stops the car! My friend just got a CLK 430, and the traction control on his car is great, it doesn't have what I call the &quot;Bog Effect&quot; of the IS's traction control. The remedy for this is that I am getting the VeilSide traction control ECU for the car. You can tune your traction control with this ECU, as it is mainly set up for drag racing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page