1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ek9B18

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Over Pressurized Cooling System

So I've had a mysterious coolant leak for the last few months that I haven't bothered much to try & track down. Just top off the reservoir & move along. Well a couple weeks ago I decided to pressure test the system & see if I could track down the leak. Car off, pump the tester up to 15psi & let it hold for 10 minutes. Didn't budge. So I relieved the pressure, then hooked the gauge back up. Started the car up. Within 15-20 minutes she'd spiked up to 29psi before I finally had had enough & wasn't trying to push it any further.

It looks/feels like a standard head gasket blown. But I'm just not trying to dive into that without doing a little more research. It's got 188k on it, I just did the timing belt/water pump two years ago & have never had any issues with over heating.

I'll do a compression test before I start the tear down just to check everything else. I've already got my head gasket kit & new head bolts sitting here waiting for me to start. But I figured I'd check in & see if there's any other (far flung) idea that might be the cause.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I would think head gasket also. Not on my IS, but on my older Civic, I had a mysterious coolant loss like this. Wasn't burning, it would just keep overfilling the overflow and drain the radiator. The explanation I read was that the air pressure from the motor running is leaking air into the coolant system around the headgasket and pressurizing it, essentially pushing the coolant out of the system. I replaced my headgasket and the problem went away immediately.

Test the headgasket and see what your pressure is in each cylinder.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:15 AM
Extremist

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)

I'm thinking HG too.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:35 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 51 Post(s)

Buy a test kit and determine if you're getting oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:41 PM
Extremist

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)

There are testers that look for combustion gases in the coolant too. I might start with that.
Hodgdon Extreme likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page