User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Not happy with my is300

Hey fellas! New to the forums here and im going through a ultimatum right now LOL! I need your guys opinion! but anyways i bought a GGP 03 is300 about early november and at first i was in love with it but now i feel like i made a mistake of selling my pearl white 2GS to buy a is300. I miss my 2nd gen gs everyday! The is300 just isnt cutting it for me. imo its just too small for me. I feel like im in a tiny ass car for some reason and second it doesnt give me a luxorious feel to it idk why. Third, it just doesnt look as appealing to me than the 2gs or the 99-00 ls400! Fourth, it doesnt have dual exhaust! Im a big sucker for dual exhaust because imo it just looks dope to me! Maybe im just into big/wide body cars! I have a couple of mods done to the car but nothing significant. im just not as happy with it as i was with the 2gs. What should i do guys? Should i try to sell/trade my is300 and go back to a 2gs or buy a 98-00 ls400. OR just keep my is300 and dump some money into it for some more mods and MAYBE i might start enjoying the is300 again? Lol! This is probably a stupid thread but idk what to do and im stuck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 06:48 AM
Extremist

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)

Quote:
OR just keep my is300 and dump some money into it for some more mods and MAYBE i might start enjoying the is300 again? Lol! This is probably a stupid thread but idk what to do and im stuck!
Sell, cut your loses, move on to something else. Life's too short to agonize over something like this.

One of the things I like about the IS is that it's as close to sporty as Lexus made back then and that it's small and agile. If that's not what you're looking for, it might just not be for you.
stuis likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 05:07 PM
Follower

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek9B18 View Post
Sell, cut your loses, move on to something else. Life's too short to agonize over something like this.

One of the things I like about the IS is that it's as close to sporty as Lexus made back then and that it's small and agile. If that's not what you're looking for, it might just not be for you.
I feel the same way. My dad has a 2014 GS350 and I still like my 2001 IS300 more. Sure it's weaker, but I hate the excessive lag of newer cars. Plus mods don't hurt, I'm trying to take out the luxury of a lexus as much as possible. But having some luxury aspects is also nice, like a quiet ride.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Yeah i think im going to sell/trade it. What i am going to miss when i sell it is the upgraded aftermarket sound system in the car! It was installed by the previous owner and thats one of the many reasons i bought my is300. But it is what it is. If anyone is trying to trade a 99-00 ls400 black on black or any color with black interior pm me! Located in the bay area!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 10:46 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 46 Post(s)

There is obviously a piece of you that still wants to keep the IS300, or else you won't have wanted our opinions.

Anyway, they're cool little cars.. But, they aren't as luxurious as the GS's. The GS's are a step above the IS300, still sports oriented, but a lot more focus on the luxury side. My buddy has one as a daily and he raves about his GS. So, I will say to you sir, don't feel any apprehension, sell that IS300, and get a GS. I would actually go as far to say you should get a 3rd Gen GS, I personally love the looks of them. You will also get more of a luxury feel from them, but not sacrafice much in the power deparment.

2003 Millennium Silver IS300
2000 RSTi JDM EJ207 Swap
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:30 AM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanfou300 View Post
Hey fellas! New to the forums here and im going through a ultimatum right now LOL! I need your guys opinion! but anyways i bought a GGP 03 is300 about early november and at first i was in love with it but now i feel like i made a mistake of selling my pearl white 2GS to buy a is300. I miss my 2nd gen gs everyday! The is300 just isnt cutting it for me. imo its just too small for me. I feel like im in a tiny ass car for some reason and second it doesnt give me a luxorious feel to it idk why. Third, it just doesnt look as appealing to me than the 2gs or the 99-00 ls400! Fourth, it doesnt have dual exhaust! Im a big sucker for dual exhaust because imo it just looks dope to me! Maybe im just into big/wide body cars! I have a couple of mods done to the car but nothing significant. im just not as happy with it as i was with the 2gs. What should i do guys? Should i try to sell/trade my is300 and go back to a 2gs or buy a 98-00 ls400. OR just keep my is300 and dump some money into it for some more mods and MAYBE i might start enjoying the is300 again? Lol! This is probably a stupid thread but idk what to do and im stuck!
They definitely don't have the same luxury feel as the GS. Even going from my old Aristo to the IS, there was a noticeable increase in noise, the stereo in the Aristo at the time was better (12" infinite baffle sub and center channel even), the clear wasn't as thick/nice on the IS, the interior fan was noisier in the IS vs. whisper quiet in the Aristo.. etc..

Ultimately though, the Aristo/GS feels like a fat pig to me in comparison, and overall driving experience is floaty and not enjoyable. I had coilovers on my Aristo, and even when I had just springs and a sway bar on the IS, it's light years ahead for what I prefer.

Don't forget the IS used to be or is still listed as a sub-compact.. which compared to Civic or Hyundai of the time, it is definitely more luxurious with a smooth inline 6, dimming side and rear mirrors, well thought out trunk release, auto heating controls, etc. etc. With the right accessories accessories the IS can look better than the GS IMO, you can make it dual exhaust, you can get get ridiculous horsepower out of it, etc.. etc.. but like others have said, either embrace the sporty aspect of the IS, or take the easiest route back to what you prefer.
The Nuke likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 12:17 PM
Aficionado

Quoted: 113 Post(s)

There is a bright spot here. Both cars are so cheap to buy these days, you can buy a GS and keep the IS as a toy. But if you just don't like the size, there is no mod to fix that.

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
-- Pres. George Washington
Real gun stats will shock you
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 12:23 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM QUIKR View Post
But if you just don't like the size, there is no mod to fix that.
I mean...

But in all seriousness, it sounds like you should jump back to the GS. If you don't fit the IS, then you're adding insult to injury by keeping it.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 12:42 PM
Aficionado

Quoted: 230 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthe View Post
With the right accessories accessories the IS can look better than the GS IMO, you can make it dual exhaust, you can get get ridiculous horsepower out of it, etc.. etc.. but like others have said, either embrace the sporty aspect of the IS, or take the easiest route back to what you prefer.
Bingo.

2003 GGP | "You Can't See Me"

Hotchkis sway bars, LS400 bbk, Stance coilovers, Customwerks rear strut tower bar & trunk brace, Megan diff. brace & traction bars, OBX short-tube headers, Fidanza exhaust cam gear, GTE cams, NX wet kit, winter camo wrap 👀
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 01:19 PM
Extremist

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)

Quote:
With the right accessories accessories the IS can look better than the GS IMO,
Ain't hard. I like the GS from a mechanical standpoint but it's butt-ugly from a looks standpoint.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 03:09 PM
Follower

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)

I don't see the point to a GS. I owned a 1992 Aristo and of course it was a good car with the 2jz-gte and great reliability but for my daily driver I went to the LS and love it. Neither drive remotely close to the IS and the Aristo/GS is certainly closer to the LS in feel.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Hey fellas! Thanks for your opinions and i have decided to just keep the is. Im starting to actually enjoy the car more now :sunglasses: And i have some ideas of how i want the car to look! Im very excited! Btw if ANYONE has a ugo roof spoiler for the is and is willing to trade for a ugo roof spoiler for the gs pm me!!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

thats good to hear sanfou, I think you were just second-guessing your purchasing decision. I went through the same thing with my IS even though it was practically my dream car for several years.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 08:40 PM
Follower

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)

I almost sold mine to buy a newer car. But after some suspension mods and taking it to a nice road, you'll be loving it.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

IMO my life would not be complete if my key ring didn't have a key for 02/GS and 02/IS lol some days I'm running late so I jump in my IS and haul ass some days i feel a little more relaxed so i jump in my heavy ass GS lol and yes mods mods mods tighten that suspension up and yes the IS is smaller in cabin but its for a damn good reason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page