User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Follower

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)

No. 2 LCA symptoms

Hi all, long time no see. Hope everyone is well!

I'm looking to see if anyone can confirm my steering/suspension symptom. My No. 2 LCA bushings are torn (I can see the steel shaft through the tear). I'm not sure the condition of the LBJs; they look okay visually, and I got no play with my (likely puny) 12/6+9/3 wheel test.

As I was driving, cornering a turn at speed, suddenly I started to veer/under steer and needed to turn more to stay in my lane. Like something gave a bit. It kind of feels like a worn LBJ, which is why I mentioned that above. Also, i get a horrible rattle when going over rough road, unless I apply my brakes. Brakes appear to have hardware, but I need to confirm shims are installed yet.

My alignment is a bit wack, both tires have inner wear. Going over bumps atespeed, when the weight isn't on the wheels as much, steering becomes... "squirrelly” (" loose", maybe).

Assuming it's my LCAs; I have a set of what I hope are FIGS/SuperpPro LCAs; would these get destroyed on the street, on a daily driver?

Thanks all!

Back to the grease...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 04:54 PM
Extremist

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)

1 - If the #2 's are broken, fix them first. #2 's change both caster and toe as the arm slops around so, if it's bad, you'll never get and keep a good alignment until they're fixed.

2 - If you have >= 150K miles on the BJ's I'd say you need BJ's.

3 - I'd check the slidey pins on the calipers. It's common for them to rust stuck on these cars particularly the lowers. They need to slide smoothly.

4 - Front LCA inner part bushings are either bad or not. I'd look at them. Poly is the only bushing you can buy for them so, whether the poly wears out or not, you have no choice but to use poly or replace the arm altogether. My poly's are a couple years old and seem to be in fine shape. For me it's cheaper and easier to just replace the poly bushings if they do wear out.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Follower

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)

Thanks EK9. I replaced both LBJs and swapped to some No. 2 arms w/ poly bushings. I didn't have time to inspect the calipers, but the driver caliper pins were moving fine, and I only saw one set of pins (which were on top).

Both of the castle nuts on the LBJs tightened a bit past the cotter pin hole when hitting 91 ft-lb, a decent amount of grease from the boot relief hole too. I can never get these to torque down right. I'm guessing I need new No. 1 arms. :sigh:

I'll see what's changed and get at it again next weekend.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 02:01 AM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

Garage
deff get the poly caster arm bushing. Its a very simple install with a shop press and its lifetime.

02 GGP 234k on chassis
BD11A supercharger/dezod headers/greddy catback/bc264/hks cam gear. 285whp [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page