NA Supra Engine/Trans Swap? - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

NA Supra Engine/Trans Swap?

This is copypasta from my ClubLexus thread, but I want to get as many opinions as possible:

Greetings everyone. New member here. Been living in Japan for the past 5 1/2 years. A while back I picked up a late-92 Supra (93 model year) for dirt cheap. 2JZ-GE non-VVTi w/ factory W58 transmission.

Just this week I found someone selling a ~600hp 2JZ-GTE-swapped Toyota Altezza with a Mk3 Supra's R154 transmission. The car has been sitting for years without running. My plan is to pull the full drivetrain and stuff it in my Mk4 Supra. Originally I was just gonna junk the Altezza but the car has a nice body kit, wheels, sound system, etc.....so now I'm considering putting it together to either keep or sell. So my questions are:

1. The car has already been modded to support the 2JZ engine, but if I'm going from an R154 trans to a W58, some things will change, correct? Are there USDM mounting kits for the W58 in this chassis? I know Driftmotion sells a Supra R154 mount kit.
2. If I get a USDM IS300 MT ECU, will that be fairly plug-and-play? Keep in my 2JZ-GE has a distributor and is non-VVTi. The USDM IS300's 2J is different, yes?
3. The Altezza also has the Supra 4-pot brakes, which I'll be pulling. Are there any major issues with mounting the stock Supra sliding calipers on the IS?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear_view.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	788.7 KB
ID:	105713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0104.JPG
Views:	879
Size:	661.0 KB
ID:	105721  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 02:50 AM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)

First of all that Altezza has a Elixir kit, that's a very rare kit for us in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble713 View Post
Just this week I found someone selling a ~600hp 2JZ-GTE-swapped Toyota Altezza with a Mk3 Supra's R154 transmission. The car has been sitting for years without running. My plan is to pull the full drivetrain and stuff it in my Mk4 Supra. Originally I was just gonna junk the Altezza but the car has a nice body kit, wheels, sound system, etc.....so now I'm considering putting it together to either keep or sell.
Just to clarify, you're planning to swap the non-vvti 2JZ-GE with w58 in the Altezza and swap the 2JZ-GTE with r154 in the Supra?

Keep in mind the XE10 chassis takes a front sump and the Supra is a rear sump so you will probably need to swap oil pans between the two engines. I'm not 100% sure but I think the non-vvti 2jz had different locations for the motor mounts too. In the LHD IS300 I think I read somewhere you need two driver's side motor mounts to correctly mount the non-vvti motor inside the xe10 chassis on the passenger side, but don't quote me on that.

Quote:
1. The car has already been modded to support the 2JZ engine, but if I'm going from an R154 trans to a W58, some things will change, correct? Are there USDM mounting kits for the W58 in this chassis? I know Driftmotion sells a Supra R154 mount kit.
The w58 should physically bolt on to the 2jz engine with no modifications. As for the mounting kit, it should be the same crossmember and driveshaft for a USDM IS300 with the w55.

Quote:
2. If I get a USDM IS300 MT ECU, will that be fairly plug-and-play? Keep in my 2JZ-GE has a distributor and is non-VVTi. The USDM IS300's 2J is different, yes?
Not necessarily, a stock MT IS300 ECU will run a stock vvti 2jz-ge with the w55/58 transmission. The 01-05 IS300 has coilpacks just like the GTE, there is no distributor so the GE will have to be converted to coilpacks. It will throw fault codes if it's used on a non-vvti engine.

I think in Japan the only Altezza that came with the 2JZ-GE is the Altezza Gita (JCE10) which is the same as the IS300 Sportcross in the states. I think the 2jz offered in the xe10 chassis all came with vvti, so it'll be impossible to make a non-vvti 2jz run in a altezza with a stock ecu. It'll probably run the engine but it'll throw fault codes for the vvti sensors and run it in limp mode.

Quote:
3. The Altezza also has the Supra 4-pot brakes, which I'll be pulling. Are there any major issues with mounting the stock Supra sliding calipers on the IS?
The Supra brakes should fit if you leave the bracket, but it's not a good idea. There's been some guys who use the TT Supra brakes on the IS300. However, some people have had some problems with it. As the brakes heat up, the rotors expand and scrape against the caliper. This causes the mounting point to crack. So yes it works, but the tolerances are very tight and it can become a problem over time.

-Tom- explains the problem with the calipers and provided pictures in the link below

https://my.is/forums/f95/how-can-you-...0/#post7816385

Overall I don't think it's worth making the Altezza run. You'll be better off parting it out and selling it as a shell. It'll take a lot of work to make the non vvti engine run and even then it won't run like it did from the factory.

Last edited by blkaltezza; 01-08-2017 at 06:07 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Firstly, thanks for the prompt response. I'm working a 24-hour shift so I've just been reading and refreshing car forums for the past ~16 hours. ^_^

Quote:
you're planning to swap the non-vvti 2JZ-GE with w58 in the Altezza and swap the 2JZ-GTE with r154 in the Supra?
That's correct.

1. Good info on the Elixir body kit, I'll remember to use that as a selling point.
2. Possible oil pan swap? Understood.
3. I think the Altezza's current 2J is a non-VVTi (I don't see any bulges near the intake cam). I also have a 1.5J in storage (JZX110 1JZ-GTE VVTi head, Aristo 2JZ-GE VVTi bottom), so I've got an extra set of engine mounts available if I need to play with things.
4. USDM mission crossmember and driveshaft. Check.
5. Re: ECU troubles.....it seems some people have gotten things working by running 2 ECUs (just judging from a few threads here). So theoretically I could wire the Supra's ECU to the engine, and get an Altezza ECU for all the chassis stuff?

Quote:
The Supra brakes should fit if you leave the bracket, but it's not a good idea. There's been some guys who use the TT Supra brakes on the IS300. However, some people have had some problems with it. As the brakes heat up, the rotors expand and scrape against the caliper. This causes the mounting point to crack. So yes it works, but the tolerances are very tight and it can become a problem over time.
To clarify: the Altezza already has the 4-pot Supra fixed calipers. The Supra has 2-pot sliding calipers. So I guess I need to inspect the big fixed calipers VERY carefully before deciding to put them on the Supra, as they are potentially damaged... The previous owner street raced the car heavily so no telling how heavily the brakes have been abused. I suppose I could always leave them on the Altezza and just add a Big Brake Kit to the "Supra Parts Wishlist".

Quote:
It'll take a lot of work to make the non vvti engine run and even then it won't run like it did from the factory.
It's Okinawa, nothing here runs like it did from the factory LOL. I'm willing to take my time with wiring work, so I think the dual-ECU method might be cost-effective and run just decently enough to sell it. The parts market suffers from seriously depressed prices here (IMO) compared to full and clean cars, unless you have something in stupidly-high demand like a Power-FC (I sold my Chaser's Power-FC w/Commander in <24 hours).

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Ok, bit of an update.....

The Altezza how has:
-Supra 2JZ-GE non-VVTi
-Supra W58
-Supra 2JZ-GE non-VVTi ECU

Plus some other minor changes (Recaro SR3 seats added, all the Defi and Greddy gauges pulled out for the Supra). So the 2JZ-GE harness has 5 plugs coming from it: the 3 yellow ones for the ECU, a grey one, and an orange one. Based off of this site (here), I think I can just plug the yellow ones into the ECU, and figure out how to match up the grey/orange plugs to the chassis harness junction box. I've got some IS300 manuals and images which describe the wiring harness junction blocks but not in sufficient detail, so I just bought a 2-day Toyota subscription so I can download even more manuals...

Here she is parked next to my daily driver Mark II iR-V. She's looking a little forlorn LOL. Still needs a custom driveshaft, new exhaust, etc.....

Just today I bought a full caliper/rotor set from a Toyota Celsior (USDM LS400). So the Altezza should still have nice brakes even after I return her TT Supra 4-pots to their proper home.

Recaro SR3s from friend's wrecked Honda Integra DC5 Type-R

Altezza engine bay desperately needs some TLC

....but the Supra is MUCH happier ^_^ ....even with that Altezza icon on the engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page