post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbask11 View Post
Hey man, I'm getting into track days in my IS and I have a kinda weird but quick question.

What mud flap/guards are you using? I fit a set of sticky tires (re71r) for the first time on this car and as you know they kick up every piece of dirt, dust, and rocks all over the paint.
You're probably going to laugh, I made my own out of a black plastic kitchen trash can, they seem to last pretty well and you can make them as wide as you need to in order to keep the paint clean. helped mine a lot since 255 tires stick out like crazy on these cars
TobiasSing and QWKSLVR_JCE10 like this.

02 IS300 MSM 5 Spd LSD

2005 Lotus Elise Touring

1931 Model A Ford (fully restored)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabiboi View Post
What are your alignment specs?

What other cars does the IS stack up to? Can it keep up/how does it compare to other cars?
most of my competition is Scion Frs/Twins, e36/46 non m cars and a few others. for track and auto x the FRs/twin is the car to have IMO, but I like my IS, and its fun annoying them on the occasions when I do manage to win. The IS in similar spec is harder to handle than others with the extra weight, but the torque from the old 2J is a blast

02 IS300 MSM 5 Spd LSD

2005 Lotus Elise Touring

post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by black86 View Post
how many track days have you put on the falkens? i just did day 7 on my federal 595 rs-rr

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Not sure because we've been rained out so many times this year, but others on them are getting about 5 to 8 events on them, depending on how aggressive you are on them. Ive been happy with how they feel so far, havent run them as much as I would like to though

02 IS300 MSM 5 Spd LSD

2005 Lotus Elise Touring

post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:49 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Do you run an oil cooler?
post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGM_IS View Post
Do you run an oil cooler?
Not running one yet, Ive kept a close eye on oil temps with an infrared temp gun after coming off track (oil temp gauge to be installed soon at the very least) and it's never been overly hot. I'll be keeping a close eye on it next month at COTA since that track is really tough on cars
black86, GGM_IS and jtbask11 like this.

02 IS300 MSM 5 Spd LSD

2005 Lotus Elise Touring

post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:41 AM
Addict

Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver-lexi02 View Post
Not running one yet, Ive kept a close eye on oil temps with an infrared temp gun after coming off track (oil temp gauge to be installed soon at the very least) and it's never been overly hot. I'll be keeping a close eye on it next month at COTA since that track is really tough on cars
I'm about to install a oil temp/pressure gauge while I'm still brainstorming my oil cooler setup (with remote filter mount!) but what temps are you seeing?

I'm intrigued with using the rt615k+ and I'm interested on how the 255s feel on the 8.5wide wheels you have. are the sidewalls stiff? did you lose any steering response in the name of overall grip going with such a wide tire?

what kind of alignment are you running?

damn cota looks fun! when is the event? gl hf!

sauce

MAZZURI V2|toke'd

'03 MSM 5MT N/A
ae86 zenki liftback
mx72 zenki wagon

VOLKS FOR SALE!
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by black86 View Post
I'm about to install a oil temp/pressure gauge while I'm still brainstorming my oil cooler setup (with remote filter mount!) but what temps are you seeing?

I'm intrigued with using the rt615k+ and I'm interested on how the 255s feel on the 8.5wide wheels you have. are the sidewalls stiff? did you lose any steering response in the name of overall grip going with such a wide tire?

what kind of alignment are you running?

damn cota looks fun! when is the event? gl hf!

Oil temps only around 200 but again, thats with external readings so I'm sure it's higher.

the car feels fantastic on those tires on track, theyre pretty stiff and very consistent at temperature, turn in and grip are excellent. havent noticed much loss of response since I run a kind of "autocross-y" alignment

alignment is about 2.5 camber in front, 2.2 in the rear, about .04 total toe out in front and about .10 total toe in for the rear.

the COTA event is a special SCCA TT event run in conjunction with race (we will get 8 sessions over 2 days I believe). really looking forward to it, expecially since the TT guys have some of the best on track etiquette of anyone I have run with.
black86 likes this.

02 IS300 MSM 5 Spd LSD

2005 Lotus Elise Touring

post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:53 PM
Addict

Quote:
Oil temps only around 200 but again, thats with external readings so I'm sure it's higher.

the car feels fantastic on those tires on track, theyre pretty stiff and very consistent at temperature, turn in and grip are excellent. havent noticed much loss of response since I run a kind of "autocross-y" alignment

alignment is about 2.5 camber in front, 2.2 in the rear, about .04 total toe out in front and about .10 total toe in for the rear.

the COTA event is a special SCCA TT event run in conjunction with race (we will get 8 sessions over 2 days I believe). really looking forward to it, expecially since the TT guys have some of the best on track etiquette of anyone I have run with.
thanks for the input. I'm still undecided which tire to mount on my 17x9... my alignment is -3.3 zero toe up front and -2.6 with -0.10 toe in the back. it would be a track dedicated set. my concern is to have it endure a 20min session and retain grip so I don't have to cool down within the session to get quality seat time. I'd have to so that with the federal RRs. I love that they've lasted 7 track says but that mid session cool down is a bit of a bummer. could be that I was running 215's tho. I'm considering upping the size to 245/40 of the same tire.

yeah TT drivers make it look easy. bc they know how each driver is going to react. not like me and the beginner group

sauce

MAZZURI V2|toke'd

'03 MSM 5MT N/A
ae86 zenki liftback
mx72 zenki wagon

VOLKS FOR SALE!
post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
If you're an experienced driver I'd highly recommend an oil cooler!! I just did my first event at COTA this past weekend. Running brand new 5w-30 full synthetic and my oil temps were about as high as I'd go.. I didn't push the car very hard (beginner HPDE driver) and I still broke 260f temps. Oil pressure was good (65psi @ redline) but before I push the car any harder I will need a cooler. External readings are definitely not accurate as even just normal highway driving gives me readings over 220f at like 80f ambient.

As you said, COTA is a high speed track and with summer coming in full swing soon high temps will be hard to avoid.

Good luck. Maybe I'll see you out there some time - it's a fun track!

02 IS300 GGP - manual w/ LSD, full leather, nav, 204k miles

Suspension: Hotchkis springs + anti roll bars
Exhaust: Megan headers, Megan Y, HKS Carbon Ti
Brakes: EBC YellowStuff, StopTech SS Lines, Motul 600
Tires: Bridgestone RE71r
Cooling: Innovate Motorsports oil pressure + temp gauge
Lighting: Smoked side markers + fogs, LED interior + accent lighting
Misc: FIGS CDD, auto-TRAC off mod, Android nav-tablet retrofit

Car pics here

Last edited by jtbask11; 05-20-2019 at 12:59 PM.
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:55 PM
Addict

beginner HPDE here! my Crosstrek saw 277F at the track but since I got the IS up and running it's be on track duty. I want to see how temps and pressure are before a cooler. hopefully it'll be June gloom so I can get some days in before it gets too hot.

sauce

MAZZURI V2|toke'd

'03 MSM 5MT N/A
ae86 zenki liftback
mx72 zenki wagon

VOLKS FOR SALE!
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:41 AM
Lurker

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

You guys that are seeing these temps are N/A? And not turbo?
post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:41 AM
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbucker87 View Post
yup, n/a is best

sauce

MAZZURI V2|toke'd

'03 MSM 5MT N/A
ae86 zenki liftback
mx72 zenki wagon

VOLKS FOR SALE!
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbucker87 View Post
Yup, I have a stock motor with mods listed in my signature.

I really wasn't pushing the car too hard, and it was maybe 85f ambient with high humidity and I was over 260f. With a proper driver the car would probably break 300f (or lose oil pressure completely first) without a cooler.

Car pics here
post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbask11 View Post
If you're an experienced driver I'd highly recommend an oil cooler!! I just did my first event at COTA this past weekend. Running brand new 5w-30 full synthetic and my oil temps were about as high as I'd go.. I didn't push the car very hard (beginner HPDE driver) and I still broke 260f temps. Oil pressure was good (65psi @ redline) but before I push the car any harder I will need a cooler. External readings are definitely not accurate as even just normal highway driving gives me readings over 220f at like 80f ambient.

As you said, COTA is a high speed track and with summer coming in full swing soon high temps will be hard to avoid.

Good luck. Maybe I'll see you out there some time - it's a fun track!
an oil cooler is on the list for sure, I'm not planning on going full send the first session. I havent been to COTA in a couple years and never in my IS. I'm mostly just looking forward to being on that track in a car that doesnt have death dealing snap oversteer, my elise has tried to kill me a few times with that trick.

I'm not to worried about oil temps lower than 270, I worked with detuned N55 BMW 235IRs for a while, those damn things ran 240 water temp and 310 oil temp and somehow didnt melt. that being said, my engine has almost 240k on it, if it dies, it dies
jtbask11 likes this.

02 IS300 MSM 5 Spd LSD

2005 Lotus Elise Touring

post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
an oil cooler is on the list for sure, I'm not planning on going full send the first session. I havent been to COTA in a couple years and never in my IS. I'm mostly just looking forward to being on that track in a car that doesnt have death dealing snap oversteer, my elise has tried to kill me a few times with that trick.

I'm not to worried about oil temps lower than 270, I worked with detuned N55 BMW 235IRs for a while, those damn things ran 240 water temp and 310 oil temp and somehow didnt melt. that being said, my engine has almost 240k on it, if it dies, it dies
Yeah the IS was a blast on that track. It was very neutral through the S's and high speed turns. Obviously slow down the straight, but hey straight lines are boring anyway.

240 water temp is crazy! I didn't even break 200f.

Car pics here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page