post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Loose Battery Terminals And Loose Battery

2002 IS300 5MT 89K, completely STOCK

Battery: Everstart Maxx-24, 700 CCA, installed 1/1/16

SHORT STORY(found thru efforts in long story below): I am like 99.99999% sure its due to loose battery terminal connections.

What can I do? I have tightened it up as much as possible, any more and I'll start stripping threads and or nuts.. However there is still slight play on the POS+, and the NEG- comes off with little to no effort..

LONG STORY:

Been dealing with a non-starting car issue for a bit now, 2 months to be exact. Basically if I don't drive the vehicle daily, it won't start up.. i.e. drove fine Mon-Fri, then didn't drive it all weekend and Monday it would not start.

2 Months ago, thought it was the battery, it was 3years old, and Autozone said testing said it was bad, 60%.

I didn't quite get a good feel for the Autozone guy but since 3yrs old, and a mean WI winter coming i said F it and replaced it with Wally World: Everstart Maxx-24, 700 CCA

The last 4 weeks have been bliss, car fired up immediately each and every time, even after the 2 day weekend of no use..

Today it would not start, I was like, NOOOO NOT THIS AGAIN..

Took of the terminal connections, read the voltage on the non-connected battery, read: 12.51v

Threw the battery on charger, within 30mins it was fully charged..

Put back on car, Car does not start... I'm like no, can't be, has to start.. I check terminal connections, as I check tightness, car doors lock/unlock and lights flash.. i'm like huh, still does not start.. but is now clicking over..

About 10mins of fiddling like this I'm about to throw in the towel...

I give the cables one last wiggle of frustration and i see a little spark and of course the doors lock/unlock and lights flash..

I say what the heck and start up the car and BINGO... starts up no problem..

I shut it off, wait a few minutes and start it up again, fires up no problem..

So yeah I don't think its a parasitic draw but more so loose battery terminals...

NOW, HOW TO RESOLVE?

thanks in advance..

oNe

Last edited by Phabeon; 02-03-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 11:29 AM
Extremist

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)

Sounds like it's not the correct battery for the terminals.

- Battery posts are tapered meaning they're fatter at the bottom. Maybe you're not getting the terminal deep enough on the posts. First thing I'd do is loosen the terminals. Tap them deeper onto the battery post then tighten them again.

- Loosen the terminals as much as possible. Spread them out then wedge a penny between the terminal and the post. Then tighten.

- Buy new battery terminals and replace the worn out ones.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek9B18 View Post
Sounds like it's not the correct battery for the terminals.
It was the same way on the previous battery the Duralast 24LG or whatever..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek9B18 View Post

- Battery posts are tapered meaning they're fatter at the bottom. Maybe you're not getting the terminal deep enough on the posts. First thing I'd do is loosen the terminals. Tap them deeper onto the battery post then tighten them again.

- Loosen the terminals as much as possible. Spread them out then wedge a penny between the terminal and the post. Then tighten.
a penny? [email protected] why didn't I think of that.. PURE GENIUS!!! Here I was thinking of wedging some aluminum tin foil(thoughtfully I "re-thunk" that) and instead tried a piece of thick cardboard.. whoops!

Haven't had time to try and its fired up no problem both yesterday and today... so not sure, but again the terminal are loose as what! Can jus slip them right off at any time...

Anyone know if I just stop into Autozone and see if they have replacements? i.e. are they is300 specific?

oNe

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 09:27 AM
Extremist

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)

Quote:
Anyone know if I just stop into Autozone and see if they have replacements? i.e. are they is300 specific?
It'll probably be easiest if you get IS300 ones. The positive one has cables bolted to it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

well gentlemen it all came down to proper tools.. and I'm a bit of a fool for half a$$'ing it with cheap tools.

Today finally I got serious about this and dedicated all day today to solving this riddle, started by pulling out my real tools... Got in there real good, put terminals back in all proper like and with real tools was able to PROPERLY tighten them bad boys down. Nothing is moving, test drove it here and here and started up fine.

REAL TEST is tomorrow at the 36hr mark to see if it fires up as it should...

IF not then we know there is a parasitic draw somewhere and so begins that journey...

oNe
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 11:00 PM
Guru

Quoted: 225 Post(s)

Garage
Don't just see if the car starts, make sure the terminals are still tight.

My thread of picture [email protected]: 2003 BO 5MT B01B

5Zigen || Apex-i || ARC Audio || B&M || BC Racing || Carson Tuned || Centerforce || CUSCO || DEI || EXPEL || Fidanza || FIGS || G2 || Greddy || JDMeyes || JIC || Karl Sport || L-Tuned || MONSTER || Optima || Outerwear || PIAA || Pioneer || PLP || SONY || SRT || Swift || TeCK Pro || Token Solutions ||TRD || Tuned Parts || UGO || WORK || VALOR || Valentine1 || VentureShield || Yokohama ||.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 10:27 AM
Lurker

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

double check your grounds. even if they look good it cant hurt to replace them and upgrade them as well. you can never have enough grounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page