Lexus IS Forum banner

LexBaru's first shake down 4/20

2K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  black86 
#1 · (Edited)
this is my second IS and on 4/20 it'll be its first track day. I'm pretty stoked. i took my first IS in all its stock glory back in 2005 when i first got it and it needed new brake pads after [emoji23] current one has +240k miles but it's been refreshed from the ground up. finally got proper brake pads, no2 bushing replaced and last on the list is a corner balance and alignment. if anyone wants to join, I'll be at streets of willow (ccw config) sat 4/20 [emoji1474]

long story short, it's first track day was suppose to be last year, but my Crosstrek had to sub in (and it has subbed in 4 more other times hahaha) anyways track tires on 2014 wrx wheels 17x8 +51 and the IS is 5x114.3 so gotta use an adapter that makes the effective offset +26 running 215/45r17 federal rs-rr [emoji28] here's the LexBaru [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
final steps, corner balance and alignment [emoji16]

i recall the first time i balanced the first IS it was under 3500 with me and 3/4 tank [emoji29] this time around not so lucky [emoji23] but also it was decided to corner balance with the full spare, to help counteract the heavy front bias (aka me and the fatty 2jz)

if anyone is in socal, i highly recommend robert of chewerks.

#3 ·
car made it back in one piece! it's definitely too low, corner exit suffers. especially on uphill exits, the rear bumpsteer is really bad. corner entry is great tho! thank you refreshed suspension and gloc brake pads [emoji16] but now I'll have to raise the car up to make it more corner exit confidence inspiring.

i did a 1:38.8 at ccw sow and a 1:36.9 in my Crosstrek [emoji23] using the same wheel and tires (17x8 215/45 federal rs-rr) when analyzing the data, corner exit in 2nd gear was worse then when exiting in 3rd. I forget the IS has all this torque and I drove it like the Crosstrek. it's been a while since I've driven FR this hard, if at all [emoji16] but each session I dropped close to a second. I started at 1:42.x and got down to 1:38.8

next track day is May 3rd. going to raise it up. I might need front upper control arms to keep the camber I've got since turn in is spot on for me. until next time!

#5 · (Edited)
[emoji16] track days 2 and 3 in the books as well.

day 2 was at buttonwillow raceway park config 13 ccw. pretty high speed. nothing like big willow but def not technical like streets. still it has it's complexities. offramp gave me issues. I'm bottoming out at corner entry and it's super bumpy at corner exit where it's hard for me to put any power down even tho it's a cambered turn. Phil's hill I couldn't get right and the rear got loose until I was shown the line. even then I'm clenching my butt [emoji23] and of course sunset, the flat 90 degree turn. I managed a 2:24.8 when I started at 2:30.5

yesterday I was back at streets ccw. picked less bumpy lines, tried to use better throttle control. beat my PB in this car by 3 seconds and got a 1:35.8. fastest in my first IS was a 1:34.x so getting back there [emoji16]

17x9 on ordered and looking for 255/40's [emoji23] half way thru the last couple sessions my tires just couldn't handle the braking into turn 1.

both times car made it back home ??????

#6 ·
17x9 +35 test fit. 18lbs no spacers needed. now I'm looking for a tire with a 200tw, a tread width of 8.6" to 8.7" and an overall diameter under 25". depending on tire manufacturer is can be 235/40 or 245/40 and some 255/40. just need to read the specs.

inner clearance is less than 5mm and same with supra caliper. I could maybe go +36 or +37... all depends on barrel design and spoke design. but I wouldn't be comfortable with +38. I ran 17x9 +38 before but it was with the stock caliper. they were forged mono block and I didn't have any issue clearances. the new set is flow formed, so low pressure casted with a forged barrel. overall I'm happy with the wheels, just waiting on tires [emoji16] next I'm gonna raise the car then align/corner balance it again [emoji1417]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.