User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megomaniac View Post
today's gas already has additives to keep fuel systems clean, imo the whole additive market snake oil.
That is true. Now there is a difference between summer and winter gasoline (colder climate areas where there is snow). Example A: Summer fuel has 5% alcohol to absorb moisture from the tank and fuel system in your car. Example B: Winter fuel has 20% alcohol to absorb the moisture since there is higher moisture content in the winter (SNOW). Now don't quote me 100% on the numbers because I do not know the exact ratio the fuel companies put in their mixtures but there is a difference between the summer and winter. I had myself an 02 Chrysler 300m with the 3.5L High Output motor... regular 87 octane... summer I usually got 20-22 mpg per tank and winter was 16-18. Since there is more alcohol in the winter it doesn't burn as efficiently hence the 16-18 mpg.

So with that said I am a proud new owner of an 02 IS300 Silver on Black full leather and stock... no mods as of yet. I am running on 89 octane (which is a blend of 87 and 93 at Shell which is the only fuel I use) and had been for a month that I have had the car.... never had any knocking or performance issues. So to each his own... IMO I will keep running mid-grade until the car rusts apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 02:06 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

most of the time i will use 91 octane from valero and it get good gas mileage. on this last tank however i used 93 no ethanol gas, and let me tell you what!! Gas with no ethanol is so much better for the car! Idle is so much smoother and power is more linear.
post #78 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 10:14 AM
Fiend

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I just filled up with 93 Octane at a Shell station. Cost me $48. Only got me 19mpg highway, maybe a little more since there was maybe a gallon or two left in the tank when I went back to the gas station. Got about 325 miles out of the trip before going back to the gas station.

Edit: I thought our gas tank was 17 gallons, I guess its 15. So if that's try, that's about 21mpg highway. Probably closer to 23 if I actually drove it until the gas ran out.

Edit 2: I have a 2003 5MT MSM IS300 with 175K Miles.

2001 GGP IS300SOLD
2003 BO 5MT IS300 ❌SOLD
2003 MSM 5MT IS300 CURRENT 🌞
2001 GGP IS300CURRENT ❄️

post #79 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 10:19 AM
Follower

Quoted: 141 Post(s)

Instead of guessing how big the tank is, your calculations would be accurate if you got the receipt off the pump. You would know how many gallons you used, then divide by the miles you drove (hint: use the tripometer).

02' MT w/MK3 Supra LSD and no sunroof
post #80 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 03:12 PM
Mr. Roo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohanburner View Post

Edit: I thought our gas tank was 17 gallons, I guess its 15. So if that's try, that's about 21mpg highway. Probably closer to 23 if I actually drove it until the gas ran out.
It's definitely more than 15. I believe it is 17, or 17.5 (edit, just looked at the owner's manual, it is 17.5)

IMG_1274

I've filled up 16.647 gallons before.
post #81 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My 2003 SportDesign has a 17 gallon tank. I always use Circle K 93 or Marathon 93, and get 20's for MPG every tank. Haven't noticed a difference for winter, maybe because of snow mode keeping throttle low. I've only done the timing belt as maintenance, still plan to do plugs/coil packs/wires soon and fuel pump filter (in tank). Car has 185k now, and the previous owner history/maintenance is sketchy.
post #82 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Cover your car from the best car insurance online.You can also compare car insurance online to lower the price you pay for your motor insurance. You can make car insurance premium comparison and find out online car insurance policy in India with better coverage for similar car insurance price.GIBL has become the best Car Insurance company in India by Satisfying policy holders with providing the best prices and quality service .Compare policies and get the best price at https://www.gibl.in/car-insurance/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)