LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 06:54 PM
Extremist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy0tool View Post
ok so i mistakenly put 87 in my tank. i know if i use an octane booster that wouldn't really help raise the rating. what if i use up 1/4 of the tank and put in 100 octane. would that compensate at least through the rest of the tank? noob question i know...
First thing I'd say to do- drive the car easy... no mountain climbing or racing.

If you have unleaded 100 octane available (the stuff many tracks have isn't, and it'll mess up your cats) then your idea would put you up to ~90 octane... of course it's not evenly mixed in the tank, but it'd be better than nothing.

Honestly, over a single tank, if you take it easy driving, the handful of times it might knock then pull timing aren't going to do much harm... it's when people drive like that for thousands (or tens of thousands) of miles that they might come to regret it (or the next owner surely will).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Knightshade, thanks for the info about the knocking issue. I thought it would be a knock that I could hear.

My work allows me to fill up for free on-site BUT we only have regular gas. No premium on hand..

I have an 03 IS300 that I just bought. Its been dealer serviced since new and has 90k miles on it and i dont want to do any damage to the engine.

Should I stock up on octane booster and put 4 bottles in each tank? That would put me at about $15 bucks per fill-up. Is that too much octane booster?

The free gas is a perk of the job and I'd hate to miss out on it BUT i dont want to damage my engine.
post #33 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by is300fire View Post
Knightshade, thanks for the info about the knocking issue. I thought it would be a knock that I could hear.

My work allows me to fill up for free on-site BUT we only have regular gas. No premium on hand..

I have an 03 IS300 that I just bought. Its been dealer serviced since new and has 90k miles on it and i dont want to do any damage to the engine.

Should I stock up on octane booster and put 4 bottles in each tank? That would put me at about $15 bucks per fill-up. Is that too much octane booster?

The free gas is a perk of the job and I'd hate to miss out on it BUT i dont want to damage my engine.

Heh... well, if you're going to need to bump your octane ALL the time you might want to look into making your own booster using toluene (which is often used for this purpose in race fuel)... it'll be a lot cheaper just be careful handling the stuff.

toluene is 114 octane, so 1.5 gallons per 8.5 gallons of 87 octane fuel would give you 91.05 octane. (depending on the actual booster formula used these #s might change a bit, but gives you a ballpark... that's a lot of additive though)

I'm not sure if adding that much of either OTC booster or home-made stuff would be especially easy on emissions components and other sensitive bits, especially if used every single tank over a long period of time (versus once in a while at the track).

Personally, were it my car, and I wanted to keep it a very long time, I'd skip the 87 (or trying to Frankenstein 87 into 91).

post #34 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Lurker

thanks knightshade! +rep for you sir for helping me out and explaining the octane ratings. my local 76 gas station sells 100 octane stuff (at almost $9 a gal) but i have never seen if it was leaded or not. i guess i'll have to check it out.

1cor10:31
- 07 BWB is250
post #35 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 07:45 PM

Thanks you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.
post #36 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Lurker

im surprised not to see sunoco on the top tier list i've been using it for years now. - Since I got my IS a few weeks ago, I tried sunoco and bp - i only been using sunoco since - but thanks to this post i have to find a shell near me.
post #37 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyro479 View Post
im surprised not to see sunoco on the top tier list i've been using it for years now. - Since I got my IS a few weeks ago, I tried sunoco and bp - i only been using sunoco since - but thanks to this post i have to find a shell near me.
Won't make any difference whatsoever.

Nor have I ever seen anyone provide credible evidence that "top tier" gas works any better than the name brands that don't pay to get in on the marketing scheme.

USA today wrote a story about this a while back, that included this bit-

Quote:
A twice-yearly gasoline-quality survey by the trade group Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers "hasn't identified any quality differences based on geography or brand," says Alliance spokesman Charles Territo.
More quotes from the story-

Quote:
"I see these ads on TV where Shell says, 'We filled up with Shell and some other gasoline and saw a difference,' and I think it's a myth," says Thomas Darlington, engineer and consultant at Air Improvement Resource in Novi, Mich., and formerly at the EPA.
Quote:
"It's hype," says Dennis DeCota, executive director of the California Service Station and Automotive Repair Association. "It would be very hard to differentiate" among brands.
Quote:
"I really look at these commercials and wonder, 'How do these guys justify this?' I don't see the benefits," says John Frala, who teaches auto mechanics at Rio Hondo College in Whittier, Calif. He says he's never seen a breakdown due to engine deposits.

This isn't to say you won't run into the Smiley Brand gas in some little town one day and it sucks... or that you won't buy gas from a name brand station (even a top tier one) that has a leaky underground tank with water seeping in.

It is to say there's no need to pay extra for "top tier" though, in general any other major name brand will perform as well if it's the same octane.
post #38 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Lurker

basically 91 octane is the minimum....These engine were designed originally to run on 95 octane as japanland not only has better cars but better gas as well...
If you run less the engine will just retard the timing to prevent pinging and detonation..

MOre timing increases cylinder pressure which in turn produces more power, and the opposite is true as well.....

"Imports are like women!
The only time they really scream is when you put something big,hairy, and american in ' em"

Lex_Luthor
post #39 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex_Luthor View Post
basically 91 octane is the minimum....These engine were designed originally to run on 95 octane as japanland not only has better cars but better gas as well...
They really don't.

Japan uses a different octane rating system than the US.

In the U.S. gasoline is described in terms of its "pump octane", which is the mean of their "RON" (Research Octane Number) and "MON" (Motor Octane Number).

In Japan they display RON on the pumps.

So 95 octane (RON) in Japan is roughly 90-91 octane under the US system.
post #40 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Lurker

nope been in japan 3 times.....motors def designed for the ron equivalent of 95 octane...

I know what mon vs ron is..... That would explain why alot of jap spec cars certain lack of emissions control devices..

Now briefly lets keep it a hundred... Literally...Designed for 100 RON or 95 octane....
My japanese compadres are yota gurus and always said the same thing...
In fact alot of the altezzas I saw on the gas door said 100Ron...
and that was the point that I asked wtf is Ron?
Japan and Europe use a system called RON or Research Octane Number to determine the octane rating of their gasoline, while stateside we use a system called AKI or Anti-Knock Index to determine gasoline's octane rating... Interestingly, to further complicate things it would seem that our own AKI system is actually derived from the average of the RON system and another more complicated system referred to as MON or Motor Octane Number... So, to recap our methodologies for measuring gasoline's octane rating are different, but share some common elements...
So, with the commonality of RON in mind a good rule of thumb is as follows, multiply the foreign RON Octane rating by 0.95 and you will have the US AKI equivalent.

( RON Octane Rating x 0.95 = AKI Octane Rating )
98 RON Octane x 0.95 = 93.1 AKI Octane (US measure)
100 RON Octane x 0.95 = 95 AKI Octane (US measure)

"Imports are like women!
The only time they really scream is when you put something big,hairy, and american in ' em"

Lex_Luthor
post #41 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Addict

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

The USA uses Ron+Mon/2 = AKI

Your rule of thumb may be close but no cigar.

2004 IS300 MSM LSD Manual ..Hail damage written-off so now grand daughters car
2003 Pathfinder SE 4WD
post #42 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 07:30 PM

since buying the is300 Ive tryed hard to only get 93 or higher here and there Im forced to get some regular.Then its a back to the good stuff with some treatment to clean out the gas but it sucks with the gas prices
post #43 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 03:41 AM
Lurker

toptier link was cool..
you i know theres a difference in gas stations but i noticed that alabama gas stations are 93octane with 10% ethanol..
entec has 93.5 with 10% so thats what the IS eats..

jinsoku from club4ag
GGP IS300
Silver AE86 w/Mikuni 44's
post #44 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 03:49 AM
Lurker

jinsoku from club4ag
GGP IS300
Silver AE86 w/Mikuni 44's

Last edited by ae86_driver; 02-03-2011 at 03:49 AM. Reason: sorry for doubleposting!
post #45 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 04:34 PM
Fiend

Petro Canada Over here bought Sunoco, so they have 94 octane now.

still gonna put 91 though..... Might try 94 one time and see if theres a diff

Valentines Day 2011 will forever be known to me as the day i bought my first IS300.
'02 BO IS300: Eibach Springs, Mishimoto Rad, K&N Typhoon Intake, L-Tuned Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page