Engine build - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Engine build

Ok so everyone building a GE block uses GTE internals .... after searching for MY internals I see everything new on sites as GTE rods/pistons , now as a newbie I had originally thought ppl were using used internals ? Can anyone shed some light on this for me ? Wow internals are expensive, so much for a budget build . Are used internals a bad idea ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:21 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 71 Post(s)

People do indeed stick used gte guts into the ge. You'll need to cruise the forums and eBay and Craigslist for the right deal.

I'm ok with used rods and pistons, so long as they check out. Obviously I'm gonna do a visual inspection, but then I'm going to ensure they aren't bent or twisted (with a fixture), and then I'm going to torque the caps on and measure the big end with a dial bore gage.

Fwiw, I've seen K1/wiseco (or JE) rod and piston sets on eBay for $1100. Seems pretty reasonable to me. For that price, I wouldn't mess around with old used stuff.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:39 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 71 Post(s)

OP,

You've started 4 unique threads in the past day to discuss particulars of rods and pistons.

Please just pick one to ask your rods/pistons questions in.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:43 AM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)

budget build. LOL. yes you can save a little money by going the GTE rod route, everything else is still going to be expensive.

just keep searching, you may have to wait but you will eventually find some. i believe some guys are checking supra forums. make accounts on those forums and make WTB threads. as hodgdon said, no need to make so many threads.

this took me less than two minutes to find:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-TOYOTA-...sAAOSwJclZmcb7

Lucy; 04 manual sportdesign
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:02 AM
Fiend

Quoted: 144 Post(s)

Non VVTi 2jzge rods are the same as GTE rods, so that may broaden your rod search. The non VVTi GE pistons are stronger than VVTi pistons, but they aren’t the same as GTE pistons. That said, if I was tearing an engine apart, I’d probably go all-new parts. It’s a lot of effort, and if one of those old rods or piston let’s go, it could damage the block, oil pump, cams...you get the idea.

Pick a horsepower goal and stick to it. It’s OK to dream and ask questions, but do some research, too. Most of this info is in the forums. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page