Emission headache and squealing sound - Page 2 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 09:15 AM
Extremist

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)

I'm with you there Jason but, sometime it's just borderline. My left cat is weak and I get a CEL that comes and goes. Lexus wants a grand for a new cat. I'm just waiting for someone to part a car locally so, I find a pair.

A melted car for sure is bad news but, even though my cat is weak, you can see right through the substrate so, there's no restriction to speak off. The fuel trims are normal too.

So, I agree with you in principal but, don't think a convertor efficiency cel always means dead cat. They just get weak as deposits build up over the catalyst part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 10:00 AM
Fiend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Lucky where I live there removing emissions testing by the end of the year. I was able to pass with just the oem downpipe for visual purposes. And the computer scan came clean with Megan headers n o2 deletes from tokensolutions. Car was too low for the roller test and ended up having to back out of the place as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 10:22 AM
Immortal

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

I understand the cat efficiency codes can be triggered very easily with a slightly degraded cat, but in the Op's case there is restriction and as a result his engine performance will suffer as well as gas mileage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by az989
Ok so i went to my mechanic and used his IR gun to check the temps on the cats. yup its confirmed that the cats are done. inlet temp is 320 out is 246.
That's aside from any damage that may be caused due to the high back pressure, which may not be too high right now. Inlet temps will only increase as the cats clogs up. Idk, just saying it's something I wouldn't put off as far as replacement. I would keep an eye on those temps as well.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

Garage
i just passed emission. its weird i used this thing called guarantee pass. the car passed with flying colors. well i got 2 years to look for a good exhaust manifold, catless manifolds are going into my car
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 05:52 AM
Immortal

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

Glad to hear you passed, maybe your cats aren't too bad, not sure. The temperature difference still is a concern but you may be ok for a bit. The honeycomb can break down even more and cause much more back pressure, you will notice it if/when it happens.

But in my opinion, regardless if you passed, I would be looking into replacement cats or a different header. Keep an eye on the temperatures, you can get a temp IR gun at Harbor Freight for like $20. Since the CEL won't tell you how bad the cats get, your only indicator now will be lack of performance, poor acceleration, sounds muffled, etc. I only say this because I've heard of it happen a number of times, some that have used a sim as well. High back pressure really puts a strain on the whole engine.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page