1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hodgdon Extreme

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Current short throw options as of 2019

I have been reading some threads on short throw brands with varying reviews on quality etc. Some of these threads are quite a few years old so I'm curious what is the consensus as of late on the best option to go with. I cant remember the name of an Aussie company who is apparently coming out with one.

2004 Absolutely Red 5 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 02:54 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 51 Post(s)

I have two of these chinesium ones:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Short-shift...QAAOSwGtRXyASf

I think I only paid $60 delivered (each) for them, so maybe if you message them, they'll reduce the price.

I was really only looking for something to modify, because I generally dislike the typical short throw shifters that are popular on the market. I like my shift knob to be much higher than most people, and positioned closely alongside the steering wheel. That requires a shift lever EXTENSION, so you really need a reduced pivot ratio in the shifter to keep the actual throw-length (as measured up by the knob) reasonable.

Anyway, I purchased these with intention of modifying and building my own lever with a dogleg that would put the knob where I wanted it. To my surprise, the quality and actual design is quite good. My only complaint was in the 4 bolts they provide for holding the shifter onto the trans - they are really low quality, albeit perfectly functional. The machining and anodizing of the shifter base is good, and they even included hardened steel inserts where needed to prevent long term wear, as well as ribs on the bottom of the shift lever to capture the OEM rubber shift boot and keep it positioned properly so it doesn't ride up or down on the lever. The lever itself is divorced from the shifter stump, and isolated from vibration by means of 3 thick rubber o-rings. As I said to begin with, the design and execution of this cheap little shifter is surprisingly good.

The fit was perfect on my W55 trans, but not quite right on my R154 - which is a very unconventional arrangement of an early transmission with the later model JZX110 shifter housing... So I can't complain about it not fitting my custom application just right.
nismofan240 likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Ill have to scope that out.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:15 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismofan240 View Post
I cant remember the name of an Aussie company who is apparently coming out with one.
Cube speed, they came out with one, revised it, and should be currently selling. I've heard good things, with current support.

$265 before shipping: https://cubespeed.com.au/shop?keywor...exus-is300-w55
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH_71631 View Post
Cube speed, they came out with one, revised it, and should be currently selling. I've heard good things, with current support.

$265 before shipping: https://cubespeed.com.au/shop?keywor...exus-is300-w55
Yea Cube Speed that's it. That's some good money for a shifter but they have good products from what I remember.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page