Lexus IS Forum banner

Coolant bypass on the back leaking

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  trowe2 
#1 ·
Hey my coolant bypass on the back of the water pump is leaking after a timing belt service. It’s got a gasket and I just put a little more torque on it. Is there anything fancy to this? The gasket felt like it was metallic almost and maybe had a direction to it? I couldn’t find much info when I installed it. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I scrubbed it and hit it with some 220 grit sand paper when it was off the car. Is there anything else I can do to sure it up? Like add sealant or something?

Also it isn't leaking a little, its leaking a good amount. If the mating surfaces were a little dirty it would be a small drip

#5 ·
It's a simple two bolt flange. Obviously the two sealing faces are not coming to bear on one another with enough force, or squarely enough...

Adding sealer to the outside of a leaking joint is not the answer. You can use sealer during assembly, but it is absolutely not required.

Disassemble, inspect, repair problem and reassemble.

#8 ·
No o-ring. It has the metal shim gasket like someone mentioned above. It is the pipe that runs under the header to the back of the engine bay where a rubber hose runs coolant through the fire wall. I'm thinking I can maybe get that hose off and slide the pipe backwards on the studs. I'll make an attempt tonight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.