User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

Car won’t start

I recently replaced my starter with a new one because I thought my starter was bad. My starter was just clicking so I replaced it. After replacing it, the car started and drove fine for about 3 weeks. Today it wouldn’t start. It was doing the samething as before. I would turn the key and get a click and that’s all. I then disconnect the battery and wait 10mins and reconnected the battery. Then the car starts, but now the radio won’t give any sound. Then I would unplug the radio and the metra and then reconnect everything. Now the radio makes sounds again.
Has anyone ever had something like this ever happen and if so what was the problem? What should I check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 03:37 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by allturbo98 View Post
I recently replaced my starter with a new one because I thought my starter was bad. My starter was just clicking so I replaced it. After replacing it, the car started and drove fine for about 3 weeks. Today it wouldnít start. It was doing the samething as before. I would turn the key and get a click and thatís all. I then disconnect the battery and wait 10mins and reconnected the battery. Then the car starts, but now the radio wonít give any sound. Then I would unplug the radio and the metra and then reconnect everything. Now the radio makes sounds again.
Has anyone ever had something like this ever happen and if so what was the problem? What should I check?
Ground related issue! look for your grounds if they are clean and sturdy, there is one from the battery to chassis, anotther one from the alternator to chassis, another one from the engine to chassis and another important one : Tranny to chassis

2002 IS300 - Manual 5-speed LSD M85
Color: Cromax YR580M
TRD Carbon Fiber Shifter Ball
Custom Made Complete Cold Air Intake
Fidanza Exhaust Cam Gear
OBX Headers / Megan Racing Y-Pipe / Thrush Catback
Yonaka Spec II Coilovers / Cusco Strut Bar
SPC Rear Camber Kit
DBC Performance Black XDS Rotors / Carbon Brake Pads
Continental ProContact Tires
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 06:04 AM
Aficionado

Quoted: 112 Post(s)

If it was a ground it would not have worked for 3 weeks. Its either the battery or alternator. My money is on the alternator is failing.

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
-- Pres. George Washington
Real gun stats will shock you

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 08:03 AM
Extremist

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)

I might pick up one of those lithium ion jump packs. If the car won't start, try jumping it with the pack. If it starts, you know it's not the starter. At that point, as IM suggested, you're looking at battery or alternator. If you have a volt meter, you might want to check the voltage at the battery when it's running again.

If the battery is more than 4 years old, it's probably due for replacement anyway.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Quoted: 79 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Bernier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by allturbo98 View Post
I recently replaced my starter with a new one because I thought my starter was bad. My starter was just clicking so I replaced it. After replacing it, the car started and drove fine for about 3 weeks. Today it wouldn’t start. It was doing the samething as before. I would turn the key and get a click and that’s all. I then disconnect the battery and wait 10mins and reconnected the battery. Then the car starts, but now the radio won’t give any sound. Then I would unplug the radio and the metra and then reconnect everything. Now the radio makes sounds again.
Ground related issue! look for your grounds if they are clean and sturdy, there is one from the battery to chassis, anotther one from the alternator to chassis, another one from the engine to chassis and another important one : Tranny to chassis
I will check those grounds. But do you think that would cause the car not to start until after I unplug the battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM QUIKR View Post
If it was a ground it would not have worked for 3 weeks. Its either the battery or alternator. My money is on the alternator is failing.
The battery was replaced about a year ago. I guess the next would be the alternator but why would it not start then start after I disconnect the battery for a bit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek9B18 View Post
I might pick up one of those lithium ion jump packs. If the car won't start, try jumping it with the pack. If it starts, you know it's not the starter. At that point, as IM suggested, you're looking at battery or alternator. If you have a volt meter, you might want to check the voltage at the battery when it's running again.

If the battery is more than 4 years old, it's probably due for replacement anyway.
I’ve tried jumping it before when this was happening because I thought it could of been the battery. Nothing happened. Disconnected the battery for a bit and it started. Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page