• 1 Post By nightsky.fusion

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Car stalls out after pumping gas

I had originally put up another post regarding the CEL coming on with a P0440 evap code. I tried the first obvious thing of replacing the gas cap. The car also started stalling after pumping gas. If I wait a minute or two and step on the gas it starts up. It only happens after I pump gas, just taking the cap off doesn't cause an issue. And it doesn't matter if I just put in a couple bucks of gas or fill it up or anywhere in between and at any level of gas already currently in the tank. This has been going on for months while I have been trying to resolve the problem. I should have just taken this to a shop right away. To try and get rid of the CEL first I tried replacing the charcoal canister valve, I then tried replacing the purge valve and hoses around it that were worn. Neither worked so I tried replacing the fuel pump overfill check valve which had a hairline crack along the top rim as I have seen other people have found. This did not work. The fuel pump had a worn dirty filter/screen so I replaced that. Not sure if it could have something to do with needing a new fuel pump. I really have no idea what else it could be at this point. Anyone have any suggestions before I just end up taking it to a shop as I should have done in the first place? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Lurker

Anyone have any idea on this?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 11:54 AM
Lurker

Quoted: 34 Post(s)

I had the same issue with the evap CEL, but fixed it by fixing some of things you mentioned. I'm sorry I don't know the answer, and I feel bad that no one else has responded to your thread. I'm in the exact same situation with my own thread.. Consider this a free bump at least.
Zachj likes this.

1987 Toyota MR2
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
2002 Lexus IS300

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Latest theory is there might be some water or junk in the tank that needs to be cleaned out. When I put fuel in i'm thinking it's stirring up whatever shouldn't be in there and causing the stall out. If I wait a few minutes it starts up as I think whatever got stirred up had time to sink back to the bottom.
I'm trying some HEET water remover/injection cleaner. Read it might take a couple bottles and couple fill ups for it to work but also seeing that this is not usually successful and have to have the tank drained and cleaned out. At least the stuff is cheap can't hurt to try before I take to a shop.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 03:49 PM
Enthusiast

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj View Post
Latest theory is there might be some water or junk in the tank that needs to be cleaned out. When I put fuel in i'm thinking it's stirring up whatever shouldn't be in there and causing the stall out. If I wait a few minutes it starts up as I think whatever got stirred up had time to sink back to the bottom.
I'm trying some HEET water remover/injection cleaner. Read it might take a couple bottles and couple fill ups for it to work but also seeing that this is not usually successful and have to have the tank drained and cleaned out. At least the stuff is cheap can't hurt to try before I take to a shop.
One bottle of Sea foam to the tank will take care of any water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page