• 1 Post By trowe2

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Cam and Crank Seal Packing Question

Hello,

I'll be changing my timing belt and seals this weekend. Its not only time, but I have a good oil leak on the front and my AC compressor is out, so I'll be quite busy.

Last night i laid out all of my parts on a bench and gave it a good look over. I noticed that the gates kit I bought included cam seals and the crank seal but there is no packing in the seals. When I look at the back they are hollow and there are no springs or whatever is usually in them. The two cam seals included in the kit are packed in sealed bags with a toyota sticker on them, while the cam seal was just naked in the box. The crank seal is more of a rust color (Viton, I'm guessing) and the cam seals are black.

Should I be going to the dealership or is this the new OEM? I called a local Lexus dealer and they wouldn't give me much information about what they had in stock.

Thanks!

Last edited by trowe2; 04-18-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:34 AM
Fiend

Quoted: 140 Post(s)

Can you post a pic? I’ve done the job twice using Toyota parts. I’m pretty sure they all had springs inside the seal. Wonder if they are counterfeit parts?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:52 AM
Extremist

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)

This is what google shows me.

I couldn't find a good backside view an a cam seal.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

That is exactly what mine looks like. Its the same color and everything. I can see what looks like a spring showing around the center. I'll take a look around the box it was floating around in and see if it just fell out.

Also I edited my first post. I didn't mention that this is the ever popular "Gates" kit.

Last edited by trowe2; 04-18-2019 at 12:19 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:26 PM
Enthusiast

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)

I have seen some companies do there seals without tension springs. I have not had luck with them. When the factory has the spring. I would replace the one that normally has a spring with a factory seal.

Careful & Consistent
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:48 PM
Aficionado

Quoted: 109 Post(s)

Man you dont want to do this job twice like me using aftermarket seals. Mine leaked badly right away. Go buy toyota oem cam and crank seals. Its important to know not to deep set the crank seal. Just make it flush with the outer surface. There are oil drain holes which get blocked if you press it all the way in.
black86 and TobiasSing like this.

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
-- Pres. George Washington
Real gun stats will shock you
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

I found the spring for the crank seal in the box. little tiny guy. There is a spring in the cam seals its just hidden under the front lip (likely as it should be). The dealer has a new crank seal waiting for me so I'll go get that today.

IM QUIKR, I don't think I ever though that far about the crank seal. I'll take your advice, thanks.
TobiasSing likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:15 PM
Loyalist

Quoted: 44 Post(s)

I've gotten all my stuff through a Toyota dealer which is cheaper. the only thing that is IS300 specific is the water pump but it's an aisin sourced part so I get it directly from them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

sauce

MAZZURI V2|toke'd

'03 MSM 5MT N/A
ae86 zenki liftback
mx72 zenki wagon

VOLKS FOR SALE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page