• 2 Post By trowe2

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Fiend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)

Ball joints - OEM or aftermarket?

My front upper and lower ball joints are making some noise and the car is coming up to 150km so im guessing its time to change them out. My question is if they are a known issue on the IS chassis should i replace them with OEM or are the aftermarkets just the same?

We dont have the same choice of brands and prices downunder, so im not sure what others experiences are with aftermarket being same / better / worse than OEM. But the OEM is a little more expensive, and if they both wear out the same or are as weak then brand becomes a moot point.

2001 Altezza Gita JCE10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 05:04 PM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)

if you have different OE mfgs than we do, it may be helpful to post what you can get.

for example, i dont trust many OE mfgs for things like balljoints, but one company that does come to mind that i trust is moog.

Lucy; 04 manual sportdesign
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 05:43 PM
Extremist

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)

I have some MOOGS on mine now but wish I'd gotten OEM's instead. Nothing beats OEM. You probably will have to go to Figs to get upper balljoints. The OEM uppers are "replace the control arm" only. Typically the uppers last much longer than the lowers so, I'd just leave the uppers alone for now. Replace the lowers and then see if the noise went away.
IM QUIKR and TobiasSing like this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Fiend

Its a hard one to say, we get a lot of the Asian brands (Chinese, Japanese, . . . etc) that you guys might not. Moog, FIGs or the other brands i have read you guys talk about are almost impossible to find here, and if you do its obscenely priced. I can import off RockAuto.com or other sites, but by the time they get here the landed cost isnt much different to OEM.

I guess what i am interested in is, as this is a "weaker" point on our cars, for the most part do they all seem to last about the same?

FYI most here offer the uppers in just the press in ball joint, really just OEM have the full replacement which is way too much.

2001 Altezza Gita JCE10
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Common problem with 1is's. I've seen countless lower ball joints break, and at that point you're replacing the fender, tire, and whatever else broke as well - if you don't smash into something. My friend's broke just the other month.

I personally installed MEVOTECH lower ball joints and tie rod end on my car - it's what FIGS sells and I know he's done his homework. Moog is good as well, but for a component as critical as the lower ball joints I would definitely not get the cheapest no-name brand. Moog, Mevotech, or OEM in my opinion. Moog and Mevotech should both be available on RockAuto.

Replacing the ball joints themselves is pretty easy but you will need a balljoint puller. I had no luck with just a hammer.
TobiasSing likes this.

02 IS300 GGP - manual w/ LSD, full leather, nav, 204k miles

Suspension: Hotchkis springs + anti roll bars
Exhaust: Megan headers, Megan Y, HKS Carbon Ti
Brakes: EBC YellowStuff, StopTech SS Lines, Motul 600
Tires: Bridgestone RE71r
Cooling: Innovate Motorsports oil pressure + temp gauge
Lighting: Smoked side markers + fogs, LED interior + accent lighting
Misc: FIGS CDD, auto-TRAC off mod, Android nav-tablet retrofit

Car pics here
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:36 PM
Addict

Quoted: 46 Post(s)

I've installed sankei 555 that were new, made in Japan, OE manufacturer. some can be stamped 555 but are remanufactured pieces so be careful.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

sauce

MAZZURI V2|toke'd

'03 MSM 5MT N/A
ae86 zenki liftback
mx72 zenki wagon

VOLKS FOR SALE!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

i used MOOG and got a sweet deal on rockauto , and havent looked back since

Hate follows Success....
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 05:34 AM
Aficionado

Quoted: 109 Post(s)

Look for pro forged ball joints. Made in usa and are high quality. Come with a million mile warranty.

Oem is best. I seem to need to replace mine every 100k miles when they start squawking again.

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
-- Pres. George Washington
Real gun stats will shock you
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbask11 View Post
I had no luck with just a hammer.
The balljoint can sense commitment. Its not about how hard you it, or where you hit it, but for how long you're willing to hit it. If the balljoint can sense that you are willing to use a puller, it'll never come free.
TobiasSing and jtbask11 like this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 06:22 PM
Mr. Roo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)

I replaced mine with OEM. I figure OEM is best, especially in your area where quality aftermarket stuff will be the same price anyway. Nothing can beat OEM that I know of, so if you want it to last as long as possible , and with the best peace of mind, go OEM. They are easy to replace with the puller. I'd also recommend just doing the lowers first and see if the uppers are necessary.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by trowe2 View Post
The ball joint can sense commitment. Its not about how hard you it, or where you hit it, but for how long you're willing to hit it. If the balljoint can sense that you are willing to use a puller, it'll never come free.
lol i am dreading that part. I've not had a problem getting other vehicles ones apart in the past with a hammer just using the persuasive shock treatment, but i tried to pull these ones apart about 2 years ago when tracing another fault and it wouldn't move. I didn't want to have to replace it at the time so i held back a little so i didn't damage it, this time im hoping will be a little different

2001 Altezza Gita JCE10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page