• 1 Post By Skryblz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

ABS activated at slow speeds - SOLVED!

Okay so I drive a 2002 Lexus IS300 and I'm sure other people have experienced this issue where the ABS brakes activate at slow speeds (<5km/h) when coming to a stop. I brought it to a mechanic, he tested everything and couldn't figure it out. Same with dealership. So I did my own research and found this thread on clublexus.com (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...s-problem.html). If you read the last paragraph that is the SOLUTION.

I did it today and it WORKED!!! Literally anyone can do this and I swear it takes LESS than 10 mins to do.

So you basically take off the front tires, make sure when working on the drivers side tire it's turned hard to the left and when working on the passenger it's turned hard to the right. I did both sides. So you take off the tire, the unbolt the 10mm bolt that holds the wheel speed sensor (see pictures). Take out the speed sensor. What i saw was a bunch of rust built up (see pics), so i got some sandpaper and sanded it all off so it was a shiny silver metal colour again. Then I cleaned and sprayed the sensor with electrical spray (see in the pic) which you can buy at any hardware store. Reinstalled the sensor, and BAM problem is GONE!!!!!!!!!! The rust that built up over time pushed the sensor far enough away from the reluctor ring (or tone ring) so it couldn't read how fast the tire was spinning hence the ABS activating at low speeds. Once you sand that rust away, it will work perfectly again.

PICTURES:
https://imgur.com/9MC0XBn

https://imgur.com/5M69H2L

https://imgur.com/4sCBRsI

https://imgur.com/JIQVcdN

DAN

2002 IS300 RWD 5-SPD LSD TRANNY, Red on Black

Last edited by Red_Hot_Lex; 04-19-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:06 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 85 Post(s)

Glad that method worked for you, but it doesn't always.

In my case, the rust issue was worse. If you were to pull apart your uprights, you'd see a pocket formed into the upright that provides space for the reluctor wheel. The inside of that pocket is lined with stainless steel sheet metal. Because the uprights are cast steel, they are prone to rust. In snowy/salty environments, salty water gets between the stainless sheel metal and the steel upright, and causes the upright to rust. That rusty steel swells, pushing on the stainless sheet metal - pushing it inward - closer to the reluctor wheel. Eventually, the stainless will start to contact the reluctor wheel, beginning to score the tips of the teeth on the reluctor. Eventually, the teeth will be too chewed up for the sensor to read reliably.

Both my rears had this issue. So I pulled it all apart to find you cannot replace the reluctor wheels on the CV axles. I purchased some used ones on ebay with the reluctors in nice shape. Because the stainless inserts in the uprights were mangled, I removed them entirely, cleaned/ground the remaining rust, and reassembled it all.

ABS is still unhappy.

Ugh.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Frequenter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgdon Extreme View Post
Glad that method worked for you, but it doesn't always.

In my case, the rust issue was worse. If you were to pull apart your uprights, you'd see a pocket formed into the upright that provides space for the reluctor wheel. The inside of that pocket is lined with stainless steel sheet metal. Because the uprights are cast steel, they are prone to rust. In snowy/salty environments, salty water gets between the stainless sheel metal and the steel upright, and causes the upright to rust. That rusty steel swells, pushing on the stainless sheet metal - pushing it inward - closer to the reluctor wheel. Eventually, the stainless will start to contact the reluctor wheel, beginning to score the tips of the teeth on the reluctor. Eventually, the teeth will be too chewed up for the sensor to read reliably.

Both my rears had this issue. So I pulled it all apart to find you cannot replace the reluctor wheels on the CV axles. I purchased some used ones on ebay with the reluctors in nice shape. Because the stainless inserts in the uprights were mangled, I removed them entirely, cleaned/ground the remaining rust, and reassembled it all.

ABS is still unhappy.

Ugh.
Oh wow that sucks!!! I checked the reluctor wheel and it still looked brand new on my car. Spun the wheel slowly and looked in the hole with a flash light and the reluctor wheel still looked untouched. So that's how I knew it was the rust issue under the sensor. Cleaning the sensor with the spray was just an extra measure I did. I'm just happy it's finally gone. I was losing my mind coming up to a stop light or stop sign.

DAN

2002 IS300 RWD 5-SPD LSD TRANNY, Red on Black

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:01 PM
Addict

Quoted: 50 Post(s)

I just refreshed the front, mine looked mint and still had the factory grease on it... socal life

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

sauce

MAZZURI V2|toke'd

'03 MSM 5MT N/A
ae86 zenki liftback
mx72 zenki wagon

VOLKS FOR SALE!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Just wanted to add this doesn't always fix the issue... you have to test the resistance of the sensor with a multimeter at the plug. A good front sensor is around 1400-1500 ohms. My OEM was throwing an ABS light and tested to almost 1700 ohms, cleaning did not make a difference. It is a good thing to do as preventative maintenance though, just pop the sensor off to clean and replace the o-ring if it's bad.
Quanfilio likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page