LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 06:17 PM
Loyalist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaney85 View Post
That was my original thought, and what I hope to be able to do by next year or as soon as I save up some more after this (stage 1) build if you can call it that haha. I was quoted by some shops in LI for as much as $10k for the swap. They told me to save my money and buy a faster car from the beginning instead of investing in the IS, told me to go with a subie sti '05. As far as our ECU's go, the shops I've been reaching out to have been telling me ours are virtually impossible to work on etc. and bla bla just get a new car. But I like our cars, I love them, and Im psyched to finally be putting work into it, I think the car knows its going to be upgraded soon, its feeling a little old and ready for a blood transfusion! Cheers guys
Smart people, that's what I told my nephew. Many times the IS3 is bought because it is cheap. Engine swaps/building is not cheap at all unless you are doing all the work yourself, and even then, quality parts are expensive.

I think you are going about it the right way by doing suspension work first. Keep your goals reasonable and don't go in over your head (that is, unless you have an unlimited or huge budget to work with. Then it's go crazy time).

Good luck and welcome to the forum (even though you've been here since 2014).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
1-8-7 on the undercova i-s-3-hundgy
IS3TT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 06:48 PM
Cherisher

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)

Just some maintenance 2 cents which I learned after a complete build... invest in cases of oil and filters to keep on hand. Lately I've been thinking of buying spark plugs in bulk too.
If you plan on keeping the car a while it's nice to stock up and save on the most common maintenance items for the long run. It could save enough dollars for that name-brand performance part you always wanted but couldn't afford.

My big lesson learned was to look into the future and stop being wasteful in the short. I didn't buy fancy lights, wheels, accessories or anything for nearly 10 years. Not even an air freshener. Basically, I saved enough to start building what I originally envisioned.

Just my experience as a 14 year owner.
VEHEMENCE likes this.

'03 Wagon - Stock
'02 Sedan - Not Stock

"There's nothing like waiting and getting exactly what you want."
-Hiral
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:34 PM
Fiend

Quoted: 92 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdout View Post
My big lesson learned was to look into the future and stop being wasteful in the short. I didn't buy fancy lights, wheels, accessories or anything for nearly 10 years. Not even an air freshener. Basically, I saved enough to start building what I originally envisioned.
I agree with this. I pretty much dumped $15k into the motor and drivetrain from the start. Everything else is much cheaper and easier to do once the car is up and running.

2002 Black Onyx IS300 5-speed w/LSD: GTE VVTi, AEM Infinity, BW S363, R154
665whp/600wtq on ethanol
my instagram

post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Rims came in! Decided to pick up the oem 03 sportdesign headlights after finding a good deal on ebay
Pupsik and JustaLexus like this.

Last edited by dhaney85; 04-19-2017 at 12:17 PM.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettej8 View Post
I agree with this. I pretty much dumped $15k into the motor and drivetrain from the start. Everything else is much cheaper and easier to do once the car is up and running.
Very much appreciate the advice. Did you do a swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdout View Post
Just some maintenance 2 cents which I learned after a complete build... invest in cases of oil and filters to keep on hand. Lately I've been thinking of buying spark plugs in bulk too.
If you plan on keeping the car a while it's nice to stock up and save on the most common maintenance items for the long run. It could save enough dollars for that name-brand performance part you always wanted but couldn't afford.

Just my experience as a 14 year owner.
Great advice, I waited 10 years as well to start doing anything to the car, but since the cats are bad I thought its as good a time as any to start upgrading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRaCTioNaL View Post
Smart people, that's what I told my nephew. Many times the IS3 is bought because it is cheap. Engine swaps/building is not cheap at all unless you are doing all the work yourself, and even then, quality parts are expensive.

I think you are going about it the right way by doing suspension work first. Keep your goals reasonable and don't go in over your head (that is, unless you have an unlimited or huge budget to work with. Then it's go crazy time).

Good luck and welcome to the forum (even though you've been here since 2014).
Thank you!
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Rims came in! Decided to pick up the oem 03 sportdesign headlights after finding a good deal on ebay
nice wheels man, perhaps i should look into some enkeis also.

I just want my car to go suuutuuuutuuu.
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 03:13 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 51 Post(s)

good luck

Great deal on those head lights! Those wheels were a first choice of mine as well...but in a much narrower set up.

Let me know how it goes at Camber Toe.

'04 MSM Sportcross, JoeZ intake w/ aFe dry filter, HKS Carbon-Ti cat-back exhaust, Eibach Pro-kit springs, front & rear sways, Koni "yellow" shocks, Cusco cooling plate, front & rear strut and trunk bars, rear under brace, TOM's front under brace, rear brace bars, TRD no. 1 & 2 front control arm, rear subframe & differential bushings and rear lower control arms, SuperPro poly steering rack & rear traction rod bushings, OEM M98 LSD, TRD Sports 18" 5 spoke wheels
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 06:19 PM
Guru

Quoted: 219 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Did you notice that the headlights are 2004, not 2003. They will have a matte/titanium finish instead of dark chrome.

My thread of picture [email protected]: 2003 BO 5MT B01B

5Zigen || Apex-i || ARC Audio || B&M || BC Racing || Carson Tuned || Centerforce || CUSCO || DEI || EXPEL || Fidanza || FIGS || G2 || Greddy || JDMeyes || JIC || Karl Sport || L-Tuned || MONSTER || Optima || Outerwear || PIAA || Pioneer || PLP || SONY || SRT || Swift || TeCK Pro || Token Solutions ||TRD || Tuned Parts || UGO || WORK || VALOR || Valentine1 || VentureShield || Yokohama ||.
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Also here's my part list so far after the initial checkup on the car at Cambertoe:

Spark Plugs - Thoughts?
NGK iridiums and switch out your coil packs with a decent aftermarket performance brand. ALSO, NGK those wires mane.

04' is300 sport design w/e-shift, 18" Niche verona staggered, NGK wires and plugs, carbon fiber L-tuned spoiler
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Update: After hearing I may have some wheel fitment issues with the Eibach Sportlines/Koni Yellow combo, I've switched to BC BR coilovers. If anyone's interested in picking up some brand new springs/shocks, please let me know. Everything is being installed as we speak! pics soon
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Can anybody suggest a good tire size for these wheel sizes: F 18x9 +35 R 18x10 +38

thnx in advance!

Also installing front and rear eibach sways! Super psyched, thanks for everyones help along the way so far!
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Anyone ever driven their is300 across country? I'm thinking of doing it once all parts get installed. Ny to California. Car has 160K on it.

02 GGP 5spd - BC BR Coilovers, Dezod Green Headers, Stoptech SS Brake Lines, Hawk HP pads, Monster Service +40mm Front Fender Flares, Monster Service +30mm Rear Fender Flares, Fiber Fab Ducktail, Eibach Front/Rear Sways, Sport Design Headlights, Enkei Rpf1 F: 18x9.5+15 Federal 225/40/18 R: 18x10.5 +15 Toyo Proxes HP R-255/35/18

Last edited by dhaney85; 03-16-2017 at 08:43 PM.
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Finally finished with my first round of updates to this car. getting everything sorted, here are some pics. Plan to go a little lower with some more negative camber after I drive from NYC to California this weekend. Thanks for everyones advice and help. Cheers!

02 GGP 5spd - BC BR Coilovers, Dezod Green Headers, Stoptech SS Brake Lines, Hawk HP pads, Monster Service +40mm Front Fender Flares, Monster Service +30mm Rear Fender Flares, Fiber Fab Ducktail, Eibach Front/Rear Sways, Sport Design Headlights, Enkei Rpf1 F: 18x9.5+15 Federal 225/40/18 R: 18x10.5 +15 Toyo Proxes HP R-255/35/18

Last edited by dhaney85; 04-19-2017 at 12:17 PM.
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 10:04 AM
Follower

Quoted: 141 Post(s)

Quote:
Anyone ever driven their is300 across country? I'm thinking of doing it once all parts get installed. Ny to California. Car has 160K on it.
I drove across Canada ~4500km (2800 miles) last July. I have about 150k miles on my car too. You'll be fine, just make sure the car is up to date with the maintenance and nothing is making noise or shaking.

The car looks good with those wheels.

02' MT w/MK3 Supra LSD and no sunroof
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 12:19 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 34 Post(s)

Nice to see you went through with refreshing your car instead of jumping ship to a Subie, M3, or other money sink. Im personally parting out my WRX, and picked up an IS300 because of how much better the IS300 feels. In the same boat with refreshing the IS as the previous owners didn't appear to be enthusiasts, so this implies years of cheap gas, bad oil, and under appreciation (warped rotors, uneven tire wear, and very dirty throttle body from excessive blow-by).

You made a great choice in revamping her! The IS is a much better car than a Turbo Subaru.

On my subaru when I had RPF1s, and didn't want to spend $120 on enkei center caps. You can buy Honda Odyssey center caps, sand them down to a uniform level (so the logo doesn't shine through), and coat them in a nice matte silver enamel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page