Lexus IS Forum banner

2GR-FSE into is300?

17K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  rafah.alky 
#1 ·
Hey guys, just out of curiosity. Is it possible to sway the is350 engine(2GR-FSE) into a is300? If so has anyone done it yet? Also does the is350 engine weigh more than the is300 egine? or does it weigh less?

#3 ·
Rollaids said:
Hey guys, just out of curiosity. Is it possible to sway the is350 engine(2GR-FSE) into a is300? If so has anyone done it yet? Also does the is350 engine weigh more than the is300 egine? or does it weigh less?
I thought about doing it to one of our 300s, but none of the guys shared my enthusiasm.

#5 ·
im pretty sure its heavier the 2gR.

probably would not fit.... extensive modification are needed.

BUT if you think about it.... that one Member who drived a Yellow Is300 SportCross Fit in a Gs Engine....
And that was, just WOW.

where are you gonna find the engine in the first place.. you cant walk to the junk yard or Super Auto Bacs :)

my two cents

#9 ·
I think it'll be lighter than the iron block 2jzge. Remember, aluminum is lighter than iron.

The weight distribution will be improved with v6. It's lighter, more compact than inline six. CG of the engine will farther move to the center of the car, improving dynamics and handling.

Making engine mounts is not that hard but it's the eletronics that'll kill you unless you use a standalone unit to control direct inject and all the good stuffs.

Dannknee said:
im pretty sure its heavier the 2gR.

probably would not fit.... extensive modification are needed.

BUT if you think about it.... that one Member who drived a Yellow Is300 SportCross Fit in a Gs Engine....
And that was, just WOW.

where are you gonna find the engine in the first place.. you cant walk to the junk yard or Super Auto Bacs :)

my two cents

#12 ·
Apex84 said:
We had a couple spare 350 motors here at Team Lexus and the idea was to make two insane drift cars.
is the GT2 for sale? :p

#14 ·
13-year bump, anyone know if there is someone out there that has offered any support for this?

I see the engines are priced fairly well now.
It would be nice to have a 3.5L OEM Toyota engine making 300whp~, plus the weight savings of 100lbs which definitely would benefit handling.

Maybe I'm being optimistic, but the cost of custom mounts, wiring, and junkyard engine would be about same price as NA-T 2jz (GTE internals, turbo, intercooler, injectors, ECU, etc.).

Now if the engine is too tall to fit, then that changes the story.

#15 ·
A 1UZ/3UZ is a better choice in most ways. The early ones talk MX bus like the IS meaning you don't have to mess with canbus. Both are automatic only. The UZ's are a relatively proven swap. You don't need custom engine or transmission mounts. They fit between the shock towers. It's a bit tight but they fit. The V8's are even easier to work on than the 2JZ. I have one in my car. It even passes emissions testing. Another benefit is that Lexus didn't include the VIN in the OBD2 dump till later than 01. It means if you use the same year V8 ECU you don't have to worry about the state flagging mis-matched VIN's.

If I was doing another swap, I'd probably do LS over any lexus engine. Smaller lighter, more powerful and readily available manual transmissions. A big plus is that the GM ECU can be reflashed to match your setup.

#16 ·
I also think the 1UZ or 3UZ is a better idea than the 2GR, not that I have any experience with those engines. I do have experience with a GR engine in my 06' 4runner (4.0L 1GR-FE) and it has no where near the refinement (or sound) of a I6 like the 2JZ-GE in my 02' IS300. I've read that the 1UZ was one of the best engines in the world when it was developed, with the refinement on par with the likes of luxury manufacturers.

Also, another funny tidbit of info I've recently seen on FB and IG: A guy in Russia swapping out the GR engines for 3UZ-FE's into 2nd/3rd gen IS's.

#21 ·
It doesn't rub anywhere but you would have a hard time getting you hands down lets say towards the motor mounts. Because the injectors and spark plugs can all be accessed from on top. It's easier to actually work on than the 2JZ.

If you ever have to replace the motor mounts or get at the exhaust manifolds, the easiest way is to suspend the engine and pull the engine cradle. I've had the cradle off a couple times when tweeking things.

It feels as of Toyota considered a 3UZ in the IS because things like the motor mounts and transmission mounts all just work

#24 ·
I know this a very very old post , however I like the 2gr and they are common mr2 swaps . The 1j/2j swaps would probably cost the same amount of money nowadays along with the variety of swaps I've seen in the IS platform
1j ,2j, 1uz , 3uz, sr20,Barra , LS etc.

So with that it's definitely possible it's just not been done yet, 2gr can handle up to 400+ HP on stock internals so turbo charged and potentially forged internals you could maybe achieve 500-600 HP which is a huge gain for the first gen IS platform.

It'd just require a lot of custom work ,
and if the lotus exige supercharged is anything to go by it'd be a hell of a car especially the sound

#25 ·
I'm with you and waiting for pioneers to make the 2gr swaps a plug and play kit, or even a 2arfe for people that still wish to have a turbo IS300. Like you said the MR2 guys and Frankenstein Motorworks has made great progress on both engines (270whp on a NA 2arfe, and 300whp on 2grfe I believe).

The 2ar is probably 200+lbs lighter than the factory 2jz, and would show it all around in performance with handling, braking, acceleration, etc. It's a large 4 cylinder turbo at 2.5L, and can be made a 2.7L with 2arfe rods. It'll be years, but I bet this engine makes more hp/tq than a NA 2jzge vvti.

I've been in a 5 speed 2grfe MR2 (2750lbs I'm gonna guess), the torque on it was amazing. So the 2gr option is still great for Na as well.

I'm following a couple of guys doing a 2grfse into a IS300 on Facebook. So far, no one has aimed for the 2arfe.

#26 ·
I'm with you and waiting for pioneers to make the 2gr swaps a plug and play kit, or even a 2arfe for people that still wish to have a turbo IS300. Like you said the MR2 guys and Frankenstein Motorworks has made great progress on both engines (270whp on a NA 2arfe, and 300whp on 2grfe I believe).

The 2ar is probably 200+lbs lighter than the factory 2jz, and would show it all around in performance with handling, braking, acceleration, etc. It's a large 4 cylinder turbo at 2.5L, and can be made a 2.7L with 2arfe rods. It'll be years, but I bet this engine makes more hp/tq than a NA 2jzge vvti.

I've been in a 5 speed 2grfe MR2 (2750lbs I'm gonna guess), the torque on it was amazing. So the 2gr option is still great for Na as well.

I'm following a couple of guys doing a 2grfse into a IS300 on Facebook. So far, no one has aimed for the 2arfe.
Interesting I'd love to know more , I have an is200 in Australia and I'm bored with the NA 2L 1gfe . The 2gr seems incredibly appealing