01 IS300 Inquiry Regarding Keys! (gasp!) - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

01 IS300 Inquiry Regarding Keys! (gasp!)

First, lemme say hi! New user and just got my car this week! I've tried searching the best through the forums, Google and even calling lock smiths to try to find out the answer(s) to my questions. But, all that really is seeming to do is lead me to mixed conclusions and still unable to find a source to cut me a stupid key!

From what I've determined, the 1 and only key I have, while the blade itself is a valet cut key, the transponder is master programmed. Now that's from figuring out that the key itself can't open the trunk/glove box regarding the blade. And the guy I bought it from told me I could reprogram a new one off of this and had a locksmith advise me it was programmed as a master due to the fact that when I put it in the ignition, the security light doesn't stay solid for a second and just immediately stops flashing and stays off. I had the same lock smith (granted, this has been the only guy out of close to a dozen that I've contacted that's even said he could do it), tell me it'd be $120 for him to cut me a new key. Just the key and that I have to buy the blank key from him and he refuses to cut one I'd provide at a lesser fee. At that price, figure might as well go to Lexus and have them do it.

I'm still looking trying to find a lock smith that'll either be cheaper and/or be able to cut a key if I provide one cause I know they can be bought cheaper on eBay. I'm wondering if anyone could help point me in the direction of one (Phoenix, AZ) if at all possible. Along with if my assumptions on my key is correct or not. Along with any other useful information/advice that any of you guys may have. Would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 03:55 PM
Fiend

Quoted: 92 Post(s)

I bought a new blank key and had the dealer cut it for a small loan of a million dollars. Just kidding, it was only like $30.

2002 Black Onyx IS300 5-speed w/LSD: GTE VVTi, AEM Infinity, BW S363, R154
665whp/600wtq on ethanol
my instagram
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Really? I didn't bother calling the dealership(s) yet because latest I read was stating they were still charging obscene amounts and hadn't even read someone using them just to cut, not supply it too. How long ago was this? Relatively recent? And thanks!

Just in case they happen to not work out, still hoping someone out there lives in my neck of the woods and knows a lock smith capable/willing to do it too.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 06:18 PM
Fiend

Quoted: 92 Post(s)

Yeah I have two master keys for my car but I wanted a new remote piece because it was all scratched up and ugly looking. I bought a new remote and transferred the transponder, batteries and cover to the new key after the dealer cut it. Now in your case since it's a valet key it will have to be reprogrammed by the dealer or a locksmith (obviously you know this) but I only have experience with having the blank key cut to my master key. I'm not sure what a dealer would charge to reprogram it but the actual laser cutting is pretty cheap.

2002 Black Onyx IS300 5-speed w/LSD: GTE VVTi, AEM Infinity, BW S363, R154
665whp/600wtq on ethanol
my instagram
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 07:41 PM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)

Just go to a dealer and get it done right. There are some things you just gotta bite the bullet and go to the stealership.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 08:55 PM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)

Locksmith would likely try to peel door frame back far enough to slide a tool in order to hit the door lock button from the inside. Once you hit that button you should be able to get at your existing key piece.

and once you get the old key, you can take down the two pieces with the blade and the transponder to the dealer, see if they carry the 'eternity key' pay the $$ for it, and don't worry about snapping that regular oem plastic crap again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > 1st-Gen IS300 > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page