User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Übercargeek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Bgwilly's Badass IS300 in Modified magazine

Bgwilly's Badass IS300 in Modified magazine-featurecar04.jpgWe are very pleased to note that Jeff Wilson's turbocharged Lexus IS300 is featured in an article titled A Path Less Traveled in the October 2006 issue of Modified Mag(azine). If the name doesn't quite register, then it will when you realize that Jeff is none other than my.IS Mid-West Regional Moderator (and Twisties Addict extraordinaire) bgwillyBadassIS31.

The article's author, David Prattle, as the title of the story hints at, compares Jeff's endeavors with his one-of-a-kind IS300 to the classic Robert Frost poem The Road Not Taken, which most, if not all of us were exposed to in High School English classes.

Jeff started out with a 2004 Lexus IS300 he ordered in the "enthusiast's preferred configuration" of manual transmission, limited-slip differential and no sunroof. It was meant to be Indigo Ink Pearl but, due to dealer error, came in Bluestone Metallic instead. He loved the color once he laid eyes on it, however, and kept it. No sooner did he bring it home that the modification process begin. First came the simple stuff, like replacing the standard grille and taillights with SportDesign ones (comically described in the article as "rare JDM parts". And what's the deal with the JDM air freshener?!) Then, as many of these projects tend to, it became ever more elaborate, unique and sophisticated. A Garrett GT35R turbocharger with a T4 exhaust housing, TiAl 44mm wastegate and a 25"x12"x3" front-mounted intercooler was installed by Maryland's TurboEast. There's no way the IS300's weakish standard 5-speed manual transmission could handle the resulting 432 rear-wheel-horsepower and 404 lb/ft of torque, so it was replaced by a Getrag V160 6-speed manual with a custom 1-piece driveshaft, Supra Twin Turbo rear end conversion and HKS GD-Max clutch, pressure plate and flywheel. The single most unusual piece of under-hood decor, however, is the valve cover with "Lexus" custom-cut, partially exposing the Unorthodox cam gears.

Bgwilly's Badass IS300 in Modified magazine-current_issue.jpgMore "cosmetic" mods were made, such as "Sophie's Customs" painted headlights, the distinctive small APR carbon-fiber outside rearview mirrors and, as proof of how "hardcore" Jeff is, the rear seat was removed, and a Rigid Race Cars 8-point roll cage installed. It's also an interesting "sport" of sorts noting that turbocharged IS300s tend to have "turbo" or "T" badges, and figuring out what cars they were "borrowed" from. Jeff went really far, across the Atlantic Ocean, to source his: from General Motors' British subsidiary, Vauxhall!

The Modified Mag(azine) article's last page is truly priceless, for a couple of reasons: First, the Five Stages of Grieving (Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression and Acceptance), as applied to Jeff's smackdowns of unsuspecting BMWs, are funny. Then, there's the picture of three modded Lexus IS300s. Their owners are no strangers to our site, either. The silver one on the left is owned by Phillzpeed, and the Intensa Blue one in the middle is Greg's, a.k.a. Doodlebug. The latter two, by the way, were the subject of photoshoots during last year's Lexfest in Baltimore, Maryland by our very own Webmaster, Tony Schreiber. The photos for Phil's IS300 and Greg's IS300 can be viewed on the Tony Schreiber Photography website.

Congratulations, Jeff, on following the road less traveled. And our thanks to my.IS member chado, for bringing this news to our attention in a General Discussion thread.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	featurecar04.jpg
Views:	19668
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	8809   Click image for larger version

Name:	current_issue.jpg
Views:	1375
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	8810  

Industry Editor, Moderator, All-around Car Nut and the official my.IS Grandpa
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."—Soren Kierkegaard

Last edited by jruhi4; 09-08-2006 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 10:01 PM
Loyalist

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm def. going to buy this issue.

2004 ONX IS300 SD
Custom Built by Low Budget Racing
Corporal of Marines
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 08:13 AM
Fiend

Congrats On The Feature.. Nice Article.

Current - E92 M3
Past - Turbo TCM IS300

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 09:36 AM
Follower

I'm buying this issue, too. Car doesn't look that bad.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Extremist

Way to go! I fell in love with that color since I 1st saw you car in Atlanta years ago.

2002 IS300 (sold) --> 573whp on 93 pump :::: 749whp on C16

2006 IS350 (current)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Übercargeek

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Sorry if I come off sappy or like I'm writing a high school yearbook dedication or something, but this story has special resonance with me, since I had the privilege of meeting all 3 of the IS300 owners mentioned here, and I can't help but add some personal comments:

Jeff (bgwillyBadassIS31): From one twisties addict to another, it was only appropriate that we met twice for the annual Club Lexus/my.IS Tail of the Dragon drive. In 2005, I remember that the Saturday drive was a bit frustrating, with heavy traffic and one particular Ford F-150 pickup slowing us down. You were in front of me, and getting exasperated. The truck finally let us by, and I was LMAO as you were passing and giving him a heartfelt and well-deserved one-finger salute. Sunday was much better, thank God. When you and the Ohio crew decided to leave via the Cherohala Skyway, I jumped at the chance to drive a road I'd heard so much about but hadn't actually been on in my two previous Dragon visits. Towards the end of the Cherohala, we stopped, I shook your hand, and headed south on Georgia 68 while the rest of you headed north. Little did I imagine how fate would intervene or that you would be one of the very last people to see my IS300 in one piece.

Phil (Phillzpeed): We met over breakfast at the hotel on Saturday of last year's Lexfest. Later, I was truly fortunate to be able to ride with you in your awesome IS as we headed to the photoshoot site with Tony, and then back to the hotel.

Greg (Doodlebug): As was the case with Phil, we met over breakfast at Lexfest. I couldn't believe my ears when you identified yourself, since I still vividly recalled your beautiful "work-in-progress" mural of your Intensa Blue IS300 that you were painting in your garage, and that you posted on the site. Later, I was also around for your "Webmaster photoshoot".

Thanks for the good memories, guys.

Industry Editor, Moderator, All-around Car Nut and the official my.IS Grandpa
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."—Soren Kierkegaard

Last edited by jruhi4; 09-08-2006 at 03:57 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 09:54 PM
私の陰茎は巨大である

Thanks for the kind words Joaquin!

It was a pleasure meeting you... Brings back fond memories of Lexfest last year!

Lexotic Concepts z MW002
Project Silver Monster

The Part Out Hath Begun
Click here for my HUGE part-out thread!

2002 CW IS300 172K mi and counting!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Blue Glowie

Congrats Bgwilly!

I'll be sure to snag an issue and check out your ride.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 09:14 AM
Extremist

Congrats man

GFM 2007 GS350
MSM 2002 IS300 - SOLD
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 01:14 PM
It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

Congrats Willy for the featured article! Awesome! Congrats to phillz and doodle too!

2004 GAM Sportdesign Turbo: Sold
2003 Yamaha R6 Limited Edition
2005 Ford F150 FX4

Lexotic Concepts MW 007
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 11:41 AM

Big props to Big Willy! I've seen this beast in action a few times. WoW! I'm jealous!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Latex salesman

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

article

Willy, Phillz and Doodle, way to go fellas. It's well deserved. I always enjoyed Robert Frost and I can just see Willy in his car "stopping by the woods on a snowy evening" See you gents in Atlanta.

Mayo
2003 TCM 5MT W/LSD
You don't have to worry about me...I won a contest
Lexotic Concepts MW 006
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 05:20 PM
Frequenter

Aloha and Congrats, man, everything on your car is awsome!

Mahalo from an Island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

2001 GGP IS300: SRT Stage 2.5, 18" Volk Silver GT-C, JIC UC Braces, Tein Flex w/edfc, JDM Headlights & Tailights, Cusco Rear Strut Tower Bar, TRD Sway Bars, Center Gauge Pod, Sun Hyper Grounding & Voltage Kit, Ganador Mirrors, Vented CF Hood, C-West Kit, w/custom from bumper. Bride "Gradiation" Brix II Seats, Rotora 4-Pot Brake Kit (F&R), Defi Gauges, HKS Fan Controller, Koyo Radiator, Greddy EMS Ultimate, Oil Cooler,Turbo Timer, Boost Controller & Ti-C Exhaust
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 05:38 PM
Lurker

Garage
Congrats!! I picked up a copy of the mag yesterday, Awesome!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 06:09 PM

Hey, I own this magazine, but I currently can't find it. I'd REALLY want to know what kind of hood this is.

Onyx Black '01 E-Shift R.I.P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Site News & FAQs > News > Media News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page