User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Übercargeek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Baadhabit's badass (but oh-so-good) IS 300 on Import Tuner

Baadhabit's badass (but oh-so-good) IS 300 on Import Tuner-impp_1004_01_o-2002_lexus_is300-front_view.jpgFresh off having his Lexus IS 300 being awarded the First Place 1st-gen Lexus IS trophy at FL2k10, the Florida Lexus/Supra Winter Mega Meet on Sunday 31 January 2010 (full disclosure: this author was one of the three judges that reached that decision), Ray Ramírez (better known to our community by his baadhabit screen name) saw yet another much-deserved reward to all the passion, hard work and love that he has thrown into his Crystal White ride: a feature story in the April 2010 issue of Import Tuner magazine. We, of course, would've awarded him the cover, but Ray himself informs us that tuner magazines tend to shy away from featuring white or black cars on their covers.

In the Vanguard, the well-written and informative story by RC Faderoga with photography by Henry Z. DeKuyper, informs us that Ray's passion developed gradually, with influences as disparate as his high school friends' Toyota Corollas and Datsun 510s, PlayStation's Gran Turismo game and the first Fast and the Furious movie. With his older brother modifying his Toyota Supra, Ray soon realized that one-upping him with a Mitsubishi Galant was an exercise in futility, so he saw the light and purchased a Lexus IS300, which, of course, is powered by a variant of the Supra's 2JZGTE engine.

Baadhabit's badass (but oh-so-good) IS 300 on Import Tuner-impp_1004_03_o-2002_lexus_is300-engine_shot.jpgRay started his road down moddom by reshaping the body with a grabbag of his favorite components from different manufacturers, namely a Vertex front bumper, Wald side skirts, an L-Tuned rear skirt and a Rod Millen wing. Disparate as all this sounds, Ray made it all work seamlessly. The interior includes near-obligatory Bride seats, additional instrument gauges from Defi and Auto Meter gauges, plus carbon fiber galore. He wasn't about to one-up his brother's Supra by leaving the engine stock, though, so he installed a Garrett T67 turbocharger with a Tial 50mm blow-off valve and custom mandrel-bent intercooler pipes, with a Blitz SBCi-D for boost control and beefed-up internals to better cope with the estimated 454 hp at the rear wheels. With projects like this, chassis modifications follow as naturally as night follows day, so this IS 300 received a set of Tein Flex coilovers with an Electronic Damping Force Controller (EDFC), TRD sway bars, suspension braces and Work Meister S1 three-piece wheels (18x8.5 front, 18x9.5 rear) on Yokohama AVS ES100 tires.

Baadhabit's badass (but oh-so-good) IS 300 on Import Tuner-impp_1004_21_o-2002_lexus_is300-rear_view.jpgBeyond the typical satisfaction of seeing the fruits of your creativity and imagination come to life, Ray received another even more fulfilling reward. As he puts it, working on the IS 300 "was also a way for me to spend some bonding time with my oldest son, who helped with the project." Indeed, the roughly 200 miles of Florida Turnpike between the Miami area (where this author lives) and Orlando (where Ray resides) is often abuzz with Lexuses making the trek north or south for meets, and, arguably, none of the Orlando crew is as diligent about traveling south as Ray. And, far more often than not, Ray is accompanied by son Ricky, who has evolved from adolescence into the verge of young adulthood. Don't be surprised if the tables are turned, and it's Ray helping Ricky on his own project car...

To read more, the Import Tuner article is featured on their website, and Ray..er...baadhabit himself informed us of this in a my.IS 1st-Gen IS300 Inside & Out Forum thread that he modestly titled My 15 Minutes of Fame. Believe me, Ray, you deserve and will be getting more than that...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	impp_1004_01_o+2002_lexus_is300+front_view.jpg
Views:	5376
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	26133   Click image for larger version

Name:	impp_1004_03_o+2002_lexus_is300+engine_shot.jpg
Views:	8535
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	26134   Click image for larger version

Name:	impp_1004_21_o+2002_lexus_is300+rear_view.jpg
Views:	25696
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	26135  

Industry Editor, Moderator, All-around Car Nut and the official my.IS Grandpa
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."—Soren Kierkegaard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 11:28 PM
Extremist

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Congrats to Ray!!! I have seen first hand this tuned machine come to life right before my eyes. So happy for him....

07 BSP IS350
Sold, but never forgotten Turbo'd 04 MSM IS300
RIP Supercharged 03 IBP IS300
New FL Members Database: Click Here!
FL2k10 Mega Meet
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 07:51 AM
Altruist

Congrats Ray and, yes, you do trek South to Miami many times to represent for the Orlando area along with John. I need to see your car in person since I haven't seen it for a long time.

Enjoy 2day n think about 2morrow

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Patriot

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Congrats, man, on the spread!

-Adam

2004 IS300 MSM 2JZ-GTE VVT-i Single 61mm 5 Speed
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport LB

Precision's Boosted Ride of the Month
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Guru

Congrats Ray!

Nice Article Joaquin.

I coalesce the vapor of human experience into a viable and logical comprehenshion.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Fiend

Wow, those wheels are sexy!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 12:40 AM
Aficionado

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Sweet ride, Ray....Congrats!

'02 MSM IS300 E-Shift

TTE / Figs / Work Varianza T1s / Hawk / K&N / Greddy / Tokico / TRD / Falken / Dropzone / Kenwood
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 07:19 AM
Guru

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Local rep!

-Mike
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 01:49 PM

Congrats! Car looks sick! I wish mine was that clean ... Loving the wheels...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Lurker

Garage
I know this thread is old as can be...but since i'm new to the scene here...that is on sweet ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Site News & FAQs > News > Media News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page