User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Übercargeek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The second-generation Lexus IS's fourth recall

The second-generation Lexus IS's third recall (revised 8 Dec 2007)-tyt2007090519189_pv.jpgAfter being recalled back in December 2007 for a crack in the fuel pipes, in April 2006 for seat belt issues and in December 2005 for the gas pedal assembly getting stuck in the carpeting, Lexus has just announced a fourth recall that affects the 2nd-generation Lexus IS.

As the official Lexus North American Pressroom informs us, "Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. will launch a Safety Recall with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) involving approximately 214,500 Lexus vehicles sold in the United States.

On certain 2006 through 2008 model year GS300/350, IS250/350, and LS460/460L vehicles, Lexus has determined that some ethanol fuels with a low moisture content may corrode the internal surface of the fuel delivery pipes. If this condition occurs, the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) in the combination meter may illuminate. Over time, the corrosion may create a pinhole in the fuel delivery pipes resulting in fuel leakage.

Lexus dealers will replace the fuel delivery pipes with newly designed components. No other Lexus or Toyota vehicles are involved.

Lexus will inform owners of the involved vehicles with a Safety Recall notification via first-class mail beginning in late January. Owners are requested to contact their local Lexus dealer for diagnosis and repair at no charge.

Customers with questions or concerns should contact the Lexus Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-255-3987."

This recall begs for a couple of clarifications. First of all, despite the similar description, this is not merely a rehash of the third "crack in the fuel pipes" (no, not that kind) recall, but a separate issue. Some may also be baffled at the reference to ethanol, adamantly insisting they've never put E85 into their Lexus. As a Wikipedia article informs us, all cars sold in the U.S. are calibrated to run on up to a 90% gasoline/10% ethanol blend (E10), purportedly to help extend our gasoline supply just a little bit, cut down on air pollution and to help Midwest farmers. Although, as of this writing, only nine states (with Florida set to become the tenth in 2010) mandate 10% ethanol in their gasoline, many other locales, especially those with high levels of air pollution, use E10 gasoline as well. Somewhere between half to 2/3 of the gasoline sold in the U.S., in fact, is E10.

Although not explicitly stated, this author's educated guess is that the higher alcohol/moisture content of even the 10% ethanol in E10 gasoline is wreaking havoc with the sensitive direct injection system and corroding the fuel delivery pipes. And, even though the recall notice states "some ethanol fuels with a low moisture content", 100% gasoline would have NO "moisture" content versus E10.

In a Club Lexus thread, member cbrfreak informs us that Special Service Campaign (SSC) 9LA, as this recall is labeled within Lexus, covers 85,800 IS 250 (54,000 2WD, 31,800 AWD) and 24,900 IS 350 vehicles in the U.S.

Cbrfreak further informs us that Lexus has also launched two Special Service Campaigns that are not considered official NHTSA recalls. The first of these, SSC 9LB, involves the inspection of rear brake calipers on certain 2006 and 2007 IS and GS vehicles. The slide pin in the rear brake calipers may not operate smoothly. If the vehicle continues to be operated under these conditions, the brake pads may make noise.

The other campaign, SSC 9LC, involves the replacement of the electric power steering link (EPS) assembly on certain 2006 and 2007 Lexus IS, GS and RX 400h vehicles, as well as 2007 GS 450h models. Those vehicles may experience a noticeable gradual increase in the steering effort necessary at low speeds when turning the steering wheel to the complete left or right position. This condition may be most perceptible when parking the vehicle.

Please bear in mind that, with these campaigns, service bulletins and recalls, merely owning a 2006 or 2007 Lexus IS (or an '08 in the case of the recall) is no ironclad guarantee that your particular vehicle is included. Our recommendation is to either check with your local Lexus dealer or call the Lexus Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-255-3987 and give them your car's 17-digit VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) to verify whether or not it is included.

There are separate discussion threads on this subject in the 2nd-Gen IS250/IS350 General Discussion, Garage and Canada forums.

Industry Editor, Moderator, All-around Car Nut and the official my.IS Grandpa
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."—Soren Kierkegaard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 01:38 PM
Guru

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

They should give up some F-Sport goodies for our troubles.

-Mike
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Fiend

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Question: If you buy a car new from the dealer, all safety recalls should have been addressed, right? I got my 2008 IS 350 new from Lexus of Silver Spring (in Maryland) a few weeks ago. Seems this recall might be something that concerns me, but I'm wondering about the other 3 recalls, too.

2003-2004: 2001 Blue IS 300
2009-2012: 2008 IS 350 SGM w/ Sports Package and non-ML Nav (Bought new 1/2009)
Had Done: Navi Hack w/ Switch install, VAIS SL2Vi
Parents: 2006 SGM IS 350 (2012-present)

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Mod er 8 er

Nice article, Joaquin. Hope my car is not affected

2007 Glacier Frost Navi 250 RWD
all stock...it's a lease
I am the dealer...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Übercargeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahryar View Post
Question: If you buy a car new from the dealer, all safety recalls should have been addressed, right? I got my 2008 IS 350 new from Lexus of Silver Spring (in Maryland) a few weeks ago. Seems this recall might be something that concerns me, but I'm wondering about the other 3 recalls, too.
Note that the article (and its source Official Lexus Press Release) says that Lexus will inform owners of the involved vehicles with a Safety Recall notification via first-class mail beginning in late January.

Thus, I'd say that the odds that the current fuel pipe recall has been performed on your 2008 is slim-to-none. And the rear brake and power steering service campaigns affect 2006 and 2007 models only.

Still, for your peace of mind, I'd suggest contacting either your Lexus dealer or the 1-800 number listed twice in the article and give them your VIN number to see whether or not you're affected.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."—Soren Kierkegaard
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:07 PM
Frequenter

My dealer actually called me about this last week, and the parts are being ordered. I wonder if this should be somehow cross-posted in the 2nd-Gen Forum also?

Current: '07 IS350 - Smoky Granite Mica
Retired: '02 Acura CL
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Übercargeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCheng View Post
I wonder if this should be somehow cross-posted in the 2nd-Gen Forum also?
It already is. Read the last sentence in the article, follow the link and you'll see what I mean.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 07:28 AM
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruhi4 View Post
It already is. Read the last sentence in the article, follow the link and you'll see what I mean.
Ah, my apologies...That's what I get for speed reading. Thanks!

Current: '07 IS350 - Smoky Granite Mica
Retired: '02 Acura CL
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruhi4 View Post
Note that the article (and its source Official Lexus Press Release) says that Lexus will inform owners of the involved vehicles with a Safety Recall notification via first-class mail beginning in late January.

Thus, I'd say that the odds that the current fuel pipe recall has been performed on your 2008 is slim-to-none. And the rear brake and power steering service campaigns affect 2006 and 2007 models only.

Still, for your peace of mind, I'd suggest contacting either your Lexus dealer or the 1-800 number listed twice in the article and give them your VIN number to see whether or not you're affected.
Ok, so it sounds like I should be expecting to hear something on the current fuel pipe recall. I'll follow your advice and give Lexus a call when I get a chance about this.

2003-2004: 2001 Blue IS 300
2009-2012: 2008 IS 350 SGM w/ Sports Package and non-ML Nav (Bought new 1/2009)
Had Done: Navi Hack w/ Switch install, VAIS SL2Vi
Parents: 2006 SGM IS 350 (2012-present)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 09:52 AM

Hi, guys,

I own a 2007 IS 250 AWD but I drive it outside the US. I live in Romania.

The recalls you are talking about worry me but I think I stand no chance to get the car fixed by the local dealer since I bought the car from the states through an independent local dealer here. I do all the maintenance at the official Lexus Dealership but the car is not covered by warranty.

Logically, it shouldn't matter the country where the car is in use since it has some problems recognized by the maker and I paid for the car.

Do you think I am entitled to call the number featured in the article to claim for the recall as well?

I am worried about the problems might occur to my car for that matter.

Thanks for the advice.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Übercargeek

^^^ I would certainly call that 1-800 number and see what they tell you.

On the other hand, I wouldn't get too anxious either. As I stated in my article above, the issue seems to be caused by gasoline that has some ethanol content (up to 10%). I just reread the Wikipedia article that links from my article and, from what I can see, gasoline in Romania has NO ethanol content, so you should be safe.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 12:02 AM
Deity

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Good stuff Jruhi!
I'm gonna post a link to this page in the IS350/250 Owner's Forums.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 06:41 PM

I called Lexus today and found out my 2007 IS250 was one of the vehicles included in the recall. I just purchased the car a few days ago from the Lexus dealer, and the problem had already been fixed the day that this thread was posted. Its good to know that the dealer was already on top of the problem, will make me sleep better, seeing how all the gas in the stations around here are all E10.

2007 Lexus IS 250 AWD
Glacier Frost Mica
Light Grey Leather
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 11:24 AM

Also, there's a recall on the "shims" on the front brakes. They had to install shims and put new brakes on my 2007 IS 250.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Lurker

My dealer called me about the fuel rail and rear brake recalls....They had already ordered the parts......They gave me a blue IS-F for a loaner - I put 350 miles on it in one day.......very much fun + lots of gas.......They did not mention anything about the front brakes.....I'll be checking into that ASAP.

Thanks for this very useful thread!

Slick Speed - 07 IS250 MT - OB/Cashmere, Sport Package, HID's, Lux interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Site News & FAQs > News > Industry News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page