1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hodgdon Extreme

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

New owner build options

I am looking at getting an is/altezza and was wondering what my options were as far as a build goes originally i was going to just build the stock motor but i am finding out that is not so cost efficiant so i was wondering what kind of numbers i could make for 10k post purchase and what motor options there are na-t, beams , 1jz , etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 02:06 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 80 Post(s)

There's not a whole lot you can do to the GE-VVTi to make a lot more NA power. Header, exhaust ,ported head, cams, ported intake will give you some gains, but hp per dollar will be bad (but then again naturally aspirated hp/$ is always expensive).

BEAMs would be cool in its own way, but it comes in a higher state of tune than a GE-VVTi right out of the box, and will be even more difficult to get NA power out of it.

NA-T vs GTE is a wash, in my opinion. With the GTE, you have advantage of strong rods and correct compression for boost without opening the engine. You also get an exhaust and intake manifold bolt pattern that's easier to work with than a GE. The disadvantage is you pay extra for it, and most people throw the exhaust manifold and turbos away. You'll also need a bespoke wiring harness. I think the money is better spent on putting good rods and pistons (and freshening it up with new seals, etc) into your existing GE-VVTi.

$10k will definitely get your engine setup all squared away with good manifold, turbo, ecu, tuning, fuel system, etc. However, you'll still need a transmission/clutch solution. You'll probably also want upgraded brakes and suspension components.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Would i be better off then going for a lower hp build and refreshing the moter so i can have money to build the suspension my ultimate goal is a well balanced car that can be competitive on track days and twisties up in the canyons there might be better car choices for that but i absolutly love the looks of the is300 and i want a rwd platform because i want seat time in a different drivetrain than awd

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 08:56 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 80 Post(s)

I think the stock IS300 is a pretty well balanced car to begin with. Adding a turbo, several hundred pounds and several hundred horsepower will definitely un-balance it!

I have two of these cars, one is turbocharged and the other stock aside from IS350 front brakes. I actually enjoy the stock car just about as much because I can drive it hard and NOT be dealing with triple-digit speeds.

For your purposes, I think the $$ would be better spent on light wheels and good tires, big brakes, polyurethane suspension joints and a GOOD set of coilovers. After that, some basic NA power upgrades like header, exhaust and maybe some camshafts to spice things up a little.
PFVega likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 01:26 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

If you're not looking for crazy hp the 1jzgte vvti isn't a bad option. The motor is cheap, bolts up easily and the existing 2jzge wiring harness can be used. Plenty of bolt on aftermarket support to make for a solid 450hp setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page