1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jaydee.AZ03

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Been in love for over a month now. 03 auto

Names Jeremy you can call me "Jerm" If you'd like. I didn't have much growing up with the life I was givin and I've worked hard for everything I've ever had or own to this day, and this is by far the best vehicle I've ever purchased..

I'll be honest, I've owned almost all hondas/Acuras (other than a wrangler and a ranger) and was into those growing up from 15. After building/owning those for almost 4-5 years, plus having the last Integra I owned stolen twice, I knew it was time to move on for good!

I never even intended for my next car to be a lexus nor have 2j (even if it's a ge)
But I did need something with 4 doors since I have a 1 year old, and I love driving, love being on the road, being able to look good doing it and also love to photograph where I go and what better way than to put a beautiful is300 in that picture.

About the car
Got my 2003 auto with 227k on chassis and 107k on motor and trans. Their are a few minor things wrong but all together and for what I payed for I think she was a great buy. On lowering springs (unknown brand) with tsw wheels. Other than that, a aftermarket double din radio, and tint, it's completely stock.

Seller was asking 3800. First things I noticed on first time inspecting vehicle myself is
a small crack in windshield not obstructing my view,
previous owner did a horrible job on the Fenders while rolling them so one has a noticeable dent,
The back tires were shot with camber wear,
When checking plug wires and plug well, noticed a tiny bit of what looked like oil residue but not much work didn't think too much of it,
And the front driver seat did not move forward or backward yet up down, and backrest would work.

Ended up offering him 2800 because of all those small issues and he did not want to except anything less than 3k. But showing 2800 all in 100s in front of his lady and him selling it due to financial issues, she told him to basically.

But how hard was I fooled?

So first thing I had to battle with, seriously from the third night I owned it, the front driver headlight is a lot dimmer at first then will turn off after a minute or two of being on and if I cycle the light, it comes back on yet turns off again. I was thinking ballast. But after talking to someone on a Facebook page, they said the bulb could be loose or just going out and needs a new one. The housing to get to the bulb seems kinda loose. Is that causing the issue or the actual bulb possibly? Haven't tooken headlight off to look. And I also had a problem with running brake light fuse blowing and after not being able to locate the ground and reading a forum from my.is, realized someone had the same issue told met on checking on top of exhaust near rear bumper and blam, fixed it. But then, driver side trunk running light isn't on but when I brake it does work?
And also, After owning the car for a month, one day randomly I was cruising like normal and cel came on with Trac off flashing.

I was nervous at first because I know lexus is known to be a luxury brand and to be somewhat pricey, but I tend to do most things requiring labor on a vehicle myself. And after looking into it, found the cause was oil had filled the plug wells pretttty good. And after that, away I went with the order. Did valve cover gasket job with plugs and wires and solved it. No more cel, and power was back with more it seemed.

Anything else I should look out for?? I do notice my front sway bar links seem to need to be done soon. I sometimes hear a clanking noise from front end when hitting bumps in the road.

Lastly, sometimes when going 45 or so and I give it too much gas, I think when it downshifts, theres a thud coming from the rear end or tranny and it's not the tranny mount I don't believe because going from park to reverse to drive it doesnt do it when warmed up. But if it warmed up and I give it gas like that it does. Tranny fluid looked new practically when I bought it and I've put about 1k miles on the car and fluid is dark. Not black but dark redish to almost getting black. After driving for longer period I checked the fluid after cooled off for like 20 minutes and it has a slight burnt smell so what's that mean 😣😣
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190430_172345_1558534638322.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	124399   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190510_121508_1558534787895.jpg
Size:	679.1 KB
ID:	124401   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190510_124513_1558534951813.jpg
Size:	389.0 KB
ID:	124403   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190510_125223_1558535544569.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	545.4 KB
ID:	124405  

Mathieu Bernier likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 12:39 PM
Follower

Quoted: 141 Post(s)

Welcome to the forum Jeremy, nice car.

The clunking in the front end is most likely lower ball joints. Those and the No. 2 control arm bushing are one source of hurt to the wallet when you first buy a high mileage 1st gen. The control arm causes bad tire wear, so those rear tires were probably on the front at some point.

02' MT w/MK3 Supra LSD and no sunroof
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggity View Post
Welcome to the forum Jeremy, nice car.

The clunking in the front end is most likely lower ball joints. Those and the No. 2 control arm bushing are one source of hurt to the wallet when you first buy a high mileage 1st gen. The control arm causes bad tire wear, so those rear tires were probably on the front at some point.
Thank you! And exactly what I had figured I failed to hear those noises while test driving the car before buying, but i do know that with a high mile chassis, comes lots of other work besides mechanical. I gotta get on those ASAP!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 03:34 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Garage
Welcome in the happy world of IS300, Congrats for the find, this will be the begin of a long love story

2002 IS300 - Manual 5-speed LSD M85
Color: Cromax YR580M
TRD Carbon Fiber Shifter Ball
Custom Made Complete Cold Air Intake
Fidanza Exhaust Cam Gear
OBX Headers / Megan Racing Y-Pipe / Thrush Catback
Yonaka Spec II Coilovers / Cusco Strut Bar
SPC Rear Camber Kit
DBC Performance Black XDS Rotors / Carbon Brake Pads
Continental ProContact Tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page