Cleaned up the garage a bit and jacked the car up in the air. going to pull the suspension and gas tank etc off and start welding this weekend
One thing to notice is the complete lack of positive camber. I an hoping that additional KPI gained from camber plates and additional caster from the whiteline anti-lift kit will sort some of that out.
I got all the subsystems off today and cleaned up the garage a bit to get organized. the chassis is mad light. I did some test welds in the foot well and the shock tower and the tie rod hole.
I was testing a bigger bit and it worked well in the thicher areas like the shocktower. The thinner sheets i tried the same size bit but i think i will go down to 3/16 like i used on the altezza.
The sealant on the backside bubbles up and can build pressure and can blow the weld out. so ill just cut a slice in it and it will help to remove it later.
Tested the tie rod hole also. These areas are a real pain cause you CANT get all the sealant out so as soon as you hit it with the welder it gasses out and contaminates the weld.
It seems like this car is actually made up of more panels than the Altezza, so it might be more work. Sheesh.
Another reason i like the drill and fill method is i think it leads to less warpage. You are welding in the middle of the panel so the shrinkage pulls evenly instead of along the edge of the sheet. I might be completely wrong about that though.
Started welding the shocktowers tonight
Gt the other side done too and started on the seam on the firewall. That one is tough because there is seam sealant in between the metal layers so it messes up the welds alot.
Then i ran out of wire...
Sprayed it with anti-spatter spray to protect it a bit. no silicone so wont affect when i clean it off to paint it. Also highlights the contaminated welds. They are black for whatever reason.