LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

GCMBob overdoes it again

Reposting this over here for shits n giggles

This is my old ep82 Turbo Starlet. JDM hatch that shares all the sus bits with the tercell and paseo cept it has rear discs. Engine is a massive 1.3l engine rater at 130hp from the factory. This car died in the 2004 hurricane Ivan and i vowed not to do it again....

Well the wive says different. At 7 months pregnant (at the time) she wants a racecar. So i decided to get something now and start early.

Got a good deal on one that had been sitting for a while with a questionable engine. Right away started stripping the interior for the sem weld and various chassis bracing.

Engine bay is pretty crappy. I think ill either tear it don and refresh it with new rings or i will just get a better engine.

I plan on following the same basic pricipals that i did with the Altezza

Cost effective and EFFECTIVE suspension will be a trick. sway easy, Whiteline. as well as antilift and panard bar. trailing arm and front control arm will prob be heim joints. Coilovers eeerrrr...

Time to start again.

99 rs200 race/street car now driving (never really finished, More parts than sense, more ambition than cents.

My Chassis Build The "Other" Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

started really stripping the engine bay last night. The engine is pretty far gone. All the steel inserts that go into the head are rusted pretty bad and it was running pure water in the cooling so the rad hoses have a crust of rust coating the inside of them. Ill pull the engine apart to see whats what but it dont look good.

Also found that the left chassis leg is bent. This used to happen to us all the time when we used to race them inthe dirt. The crumple zones crumple at a stiff breeze. After i get it to a rolling shell and seam weld the interior ill take it to the shop and stretch it out. Thanksfully this is all cosmetic really. Should i reinforce this area? Its in front of the shock towers but the whole front ties together pretty well so this might add significant stiffness to that area...

This is the stock turbo. Its....minuscule. But hybrid versions can push the engine to 200hp easily enough. Ive been looking at the GT15 for a while as it HAs to be more modern and is about the same cost new as this one is modded... Looking to push 200 HP MAX with a super wide range. This turbo has a 35mm inlet...

Going to try get the engine out today and pull it down further this weekend

99 rs200 race/street car now driving (never really finished, More parts than sense, more ambition than cents.

post #3 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 07:15 AM
Aficionado

im highly excited about this thread, i love starlets.

i loved your last build and followed it heavily.

good luck sir!!!

post #4 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 08:35 AM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

is it just the picture or is the frame up from a bit bent?
post #5 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Got the engine out, and it doesn't look good. I figured the engine wasn't too fresh but wow. Need to get another one.

a victim of no oil changes and shoddy repair work. There was a ton on RTV in the bottom of the pan. Time to start hunting.

post #6 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Got the engine out yesterday so now i have a rolling chassis basically.

I washed the gearbox 3 times with degreaser and its still not clean. Im going to oven cleaner it when the time comes. For now ill throw it on a shelf.

Also started cleaning up the interior a bit and started pulling the dash out. Really starting to look like a theft victim now.

There was some significantly bad wiring on the turbo timer and the boost gauge. Im talking wires wrapped around other wires and taped...sweet.

New Day:

Been stripping and cleaning and looking and thinking...

Got the interior bald. Had to use heat to get the tar mats up as dry ice isnt available here and i tried ice but it was just too messy. Its going to take alot of clean up.

Going through and looking at the spot welds i noticed there really arent alot of them. So i think more then doubling up on them should make a really nice difference.

for example:

Got up all the tar from the floor boards. Not fun. Also popped out the windshield

I have some rust in the windshield area. the only rust on the whole car. Im going to try and fins another starlet that i can cut this section out of and joining it back in.

post #7 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Cleaned up the garage a bit and jacked the car up in the air. going to pull the suspension and gas tank etc off and start welding this weekend

One thing to notice is the complete lack of positive camber. I an hoping that additional KPI gained from camber plates and additional caster from the whiteline anti-lift kit will sort some of that out.

I got all the subsystems off today and cleaned up the garage a bit to get organized. the chassis is mad light. I did some test welds in the foot well and the shock tower and the tie rod hole.

I was testing a bigger bit and it worked well in the thicher areas like the shocktower. The thinner sheets i tried the same size bit but i think i will go down to 3/16 like i used on the altezza.

The sealant on the backside bubbles up and can build pressure and can blow the weld out. so ill just cut a slice in it and it will help to remove it later.

Tested the tie rod hole also. These areas are a real pain cause you CANT get all the sealant out so as soon as you hit it with the welder it gasses out and contaminates the weld.

It seems like this car is actually made up of more panels than the Altezza, so it might be more work. Sheesh.

Another reason i like the drill and fill method is i think it leads to less warpage. You are welding in the middle of the panel so the shrinkage pulls evenly instead of along the edge of the sheet. I might be completely wrong about that though.

Started welding the shocktowers tonight

Gt the other side done too and started on the seam on the firewall. That one is tough because there is seam sealant in between the metal layers so it messes up the welds alot.

Then i ran out of wire...

Sprayed it with anti-spatter spray to protect it a bit. no silicone so wont affect when i clean it off to paint it. Also highlights the contaminated welds. They are black for whatever reason.

post #8 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Fiend

As always, top notch!

'02 Stock IS 5spd w/LSD - 215k+ and still on stock clutch. Occasional track rat
'07 IS350 - DD
'02 SY IS.... SOLD
post #9 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

yeah this is pretty much going to take forever. I have determined seam welding a car is like childbirth in women. After the fact you forget the pain....that the only reasonable excuse why you would do it again...

Got more done. The front chassis legs arent fully joined to the car, similarly to the B15

luckily the right side was very close so i just welded it closed

And i braced the other side

Also got the lower inside of the engine bay done

and the front footwells

getting as much done up top before i get the front left chassis leg straightened

door openings and floor pan done

rear windows done

Got the front right wheel well done

got half way through the left side and ran out of wire again...DOH!

Finnaly finished welding.

This is the rear trailing arm bracket. also did the panard rod bracket. The plan is to replace the trailing arm bushes with heim joints (no one makes poly for it) so i figured some extra strength in this area was a good idea.

I cut out the rusted area and put in a peice i cut out of my friends old race cars. Im going to leave the welds like that and paint that section White and put his number on it in memory of the old days when we used to race in the dirt. I tried some primer in this area but it must be oil based cause its not hardening at all. Im going to clean it off and Ospho it and prime it with express primer.

post #10 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Altruist

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

This is an awesome build. Workmanship is at it's best as usual. Keep it coming!
post #11 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Got alot done last night and today. Cleaned and prepped the engine bay last night and primed the welds and bare metal spots this am.

Im spending alot more time in metal prep this time. i have a few small rust spots on the tez and i dont like it.

Spent the whole friggin afternoon cleaning the seam sealant and insulation off the underside of the car. UNFUN. then used Ospho on it and tomorow i will prime it.

Prob wont get to the back end of the car cause i have a race sunday so have to prep the car tomorow,

primed the bottom middle of the car

I got bored of doing what i was doing on a friends car so decided to take apart my steering rack. I ran with a looped rack on my old car and it drove easy so figured doing it right would be even nicer. Amazingly easy on to take apart the rack on this car. Basically did everything they did on miatabusa to depower it(thanks Dave). Talked to my local high tech welding rod supplier and he gave me a rod to get the shaft welded with. Came out nice. I hope it doesent kill me.

Got some time to work on the car, so i tackled the rear wheel well. This is the right side i havent done

and after i finished the other side. Man i hate grinding undercoating, but it looks so much nicer this way, and sheds weight

Also got some 3/4' square tuve and made a rear brace. the tops of the shock towers are alreadt reinforced and there is a perfect sot to triangulate them to because some of the cars came with a bolt in brace. It came out pretty good.

Going to try prime this section tomorow.

post #12 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

got the car sealed up with seam sealer. That stuff is so nasty. Ready for paint now. Ill see how far the 4 cans of paint i have will go and wait for the rest of it.

Got some paint down. I love this part because the car looks sooooo clean when its got some fresh paint down. 3 cans got the 4 fenderwells done and the underside done to the gas tank.

Checked with my friend that works at the paint store and sent him a pic of the upc code off the paint i needed. He said they had 6 cans so SWEET, i went and piced them up and got ready to do some painting today. Dragged the car outside with the back supported (and strapped on my creeper/stool and the front strapped to a jack.

Prepped the engine bay and spayed it up nice. Didnt do any further forward because the front chassis leg still needs to be straightened.

Now looking through the windshield you will see that about half of the back is done...gee why is that Bob? Well because after that far i realise...this paint isnt glossing up.....well that cause its FLAT WHITE!!!!! GADDAMMITTT!!!!!!!! So i will have to respray that area as nice as it looks cuse there could not be a more inapropriate colour for the inside of a race car than flat white.

Gave up on getting more white gloss anytime soon so in an effort to get the car sealed up against rust i painted the inside grey.

The underside isnt fully painted but the areas that were welded have been . I might just go over them in grey in those spots and call it a day. Ordered my whiteline stuff and will be ordering the wheels n tires next week so i can get the fender mods sorted

Assembly has officially started. Bolted on the dash bar.

Also bolted on the steering rack.

the steering rack will have to come off again though cause i have to run the fuel lines under it on the right. well maybe i can thread them in. Im hoping to get the wheels and tires in a few weeks and be able to mock up the fenders and maybe in the mean time ill take it to get the fron straightened... crap i need to get a new front bumper support first...

post #13 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Got a little bit done. Got all the crap that needs to bolt to the firewall so that i can start on the brake lines for the rear.

The brass fitting there is stolen off a scrap 240 a few years back.

it bolts into the top hole where the prop valve was and i was able to bend the line to go in. so i only have to make one line to go from there to the T bolted on the booster. I need to get a new master to mock up the rears properly.

Also got my suspension.

Got a LITTLE work done. I got the steering shaft and wheel in. I took off the key start and will just ise the ign switch and glue a "key" into it. Simple and light. Also i put in the TRD shifter that i painted black so it wouldnt be so ....white.

I also cleaned up and painted the brake and clutch pedal boxes. I hate rusty parts. Also i decided to brace the top of the brake pedal box to stiffen it up. For no really good reason mind you, but it seemed like a good idea and took 2 secs.

Im going to get the dash mocked in so i can mount the handbrake where it needs to go and sort out the lines. Still waiting on my wheels to get here.

post #14 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Yay wheels n tires are here! 949 racing 15x8s with 225/45/15. i have never seen this combo on a starlet before. They are very nice.

a comparison to what they usually run

But do they fit? Well i dropped a hub into the wheel and put on the coilover. the top hole of the CO it a little slotted so this in min clearance, thats a 8mm bolt

and on the other end of the play, which i think is staight up...a 14mm bolt head

so the front will clear the suspension no prob the fenders i can deal with but this means no spacers, YAY.

And the backs....

pfft miles of space. Things lookin good.

Threw the rear axle on the car so i cold see if i had to make any major mods to the fenders. This is about ride height i think, i am so super happy with these wheels.

the tire was touching the fender lip, but luckily i have the only fender roller on island in my garage. So i rolled and pulled as much as i could. And this is after, cranking it up till it touched.

i think this will be ok.

And while i had them on i measured the rear toe, 0

post #15 of 87 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Put together a sus setup without a spring to test fender clearance...yeah that nah work.

So i cut a slip along the seam and sliced the back bottom peice off and cut the inner lip off and pulled it out.

I really need a better welder

but it gave me good clearance

The back dont line up but whatever...

a coat of paint and you wont even see that

and tire clearance after

you can see where i had to join above for the bumper mount.

it came out decent for a first try. and will ceartainly get the job done. I probably wont overfinish the weld so it can be seen under the paint.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Member Rides and Builds > Member Build Threads - All other makes and models

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page