User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Altruist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

We did something baaaaaad...

Drilling out the trailing arms to accept our beefy links.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 06:29 PM
Extremist

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Garage
got skil??

___Go Fast or F*** It___

Im your local smarta$$
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 12:12 AM
Loyalist

Quoted: 103 Post(s)

This may be right up your alley. My contribution to the project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
1-8-7 on the undercova i-s-3-hundgy
IS3TT

post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Altruist

Thank you Fractional, and for that, I will post some updates that I'm sure no one will see!

Project Mu brake pads for le hydro

This is what 72 degrees of steering angle looks like

6 new ss braided lines for the brake system. The Mazdatrix rep we placed our order with was like what...? We told him we needed 2 spare lines just incase Trollololol

More sound deadening removal

You couldn't pay me enough to do this again

Decided to tackle the subframe and steering rack as well. 20 years of caked on grease, power steering fluid, oil, and AIDS...Not the cleanest job, nor the most fun.

But since this is the internets, we make magic happen instantly.

Russell accidentally deleted the quality pics of the subframe degrease, sanded and primered. But here's the end result. Trinidad James would be proud.

We even chromed the steering rack brackets
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 09:25 AM
Loyalist

Quoted: 103 Post(s)

I see them, I just dont comment much. Its nice to see a fresh build every once in a while. I frequent a lot of other car forums where people don't care about boosting a 2jz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
1-8-7 on the undercova i-s-3-hundgy
IS3TT
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 03:51 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i always wanted a t2
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 08:16 PM
SEAHAWKS!!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)

what did you use to clean the subframe? i want to clean my magnaflow muffler from all the caked on road grime

Phil
2001 IS300
Engine 2jz-ge w/SRT intake; HP header; Toyomoto ypipe
ICE/Interior Kenwood Excelon w/Nav; Fsport shift knob
Exterior JDM headlights; foglights; taillights; SportDesign grille; RX shorty antenna
Suspension Tanabe coilovers; SuperPro bushings; FIGs toe links
Wheels Volk Racing wheels; Staggered 17x8/9; Conti DWS
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Altruist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3_FTW View Post
what did you use to clean the subframe? i want to clean my magnaflow muffler from all the caked on road grime
Back from the dead...I have a lot of updates on this build. As for the subfram grime, we used a lot of purple power degreaser from autozone. It's like $3 a bottle. Also i went through a couple brass wire brushes to scrape all the grime off. It went through a few stages of degreasing, pressure washing w/soapy water, degreasing, etc...Took a while to get it clean enough to sand and paint that's for sure. I'd recommend simple green over the purple power though, nothing works better.
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Altruist

Finished off the sound deadening by scrubbing off the remainders with goof off, a drill and wire brush bit. You couldn't pay me to do this job again...

Picked up turbo2 goodies off our friend's FC that we was getting ready to junk. Rear end, driveshaft and axles acquired.

Picked up this corksport short throw.

2J-related: Supra TT fuel pump w/hanger. Yep, going in the RX7..

4 brand new rotors

Preparing to do the rear diff bushings. We torched them, banged on it a few times, and in minutes the PBM solid aluminum bushings were ready to go in.

Toasty

Also had the diff mount bracket repaired

Primered

A L L | G O L D | E V E R Y T H A N G

PBM bushings subframe bushings, check

Last edited by madchyers; 02-27-2014 at 04:52 PM.
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Altruist

One of my favorite parts going in this car. We came across a killer deal on a barely used OS Giken twin disc clutch. #budgetbuildlol

Let's hope we put this back together right (we got curious, okay... and have a nack to want to clean everything going on this car)

Diff time. We drained it, and took it apart.

Then started prepping for paint, twas much filthier than expected

New axle seals and front pinion seal

Diff primered and painted

PBM diff bushings installed

Trinidad James seal of approval
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Altruist

Core swapped the t2 axles for brand new ones...This was a lot more work than it sounds lol. 3 autoparts stores, 1 wrong shipment, and a 20% restocking fee later we got our hands on them.

Oh and then this happened

Tomei 2-way LSD!

We also bought a spot weld removal drill bit. No more speaker shroud above the rear struts

G U T T E D

AND it's finished. All our hardwork paid off in the end..
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Altruist

Okay, so this is where it gets real serious.

New carrier bearings purchased for the new LSD

Installing the diff, measuring backlash. Tidy cats box. Much precision.

Mazda FSM specs are .0035-.0043 in. we set ours to 4 thousandths exactly

Preloaded the sidebearings afterwards, FSM specs are 204.43-204.5mm

Then we checked contact patch with marking dye

Now we're ready to skid. Well sorta.
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Altruist

Next, we purchased all new wheel bearings for the front and rear. Why? Why not. I will tell you that it was more work than we had anticipated since we had to take the rear hubs (because of their odd shape) to our friend's shop to borrow their press. All in all, it was semi to moderately worth it. And that counts for something.

(scope that gold doe & new polyurethane bushing)

Here are the front hubs cleaned up and ready for bearings.

Then we managed to get our hands on this nice Greddy intake plenum. Much volume.

We also put together a custom camber link set (oem in the middle). Before installing we upgraded the hardware to grade 8 nuts/bolts and spot welded at an adjusted length. The PBM spherical 'tilting' aluminum bushings allow for these joints to not need adjustment. The'll be connecting the rear subframe to the trailing arms.

More rear end set up goodies..We put the rear brake assembly together, the dual caliper set up came out nicely after a slight hiccup with hardware we were given.

Came up on some Greddy 720cc injectors, they will be used as the primaries. And also an s5 counterWEIGHT for the OS clutch.

Now I know what you're all gonna think (all 4 of you), why would they paint the underside of the car? Well, I'll tell you now. Because we felt like it..Lots of degreasing, simple greening, pressure washing, and scrubbing followed by 6 cans of primer, a few days to dry and 8 cans of gloss white cause if it ain't white, then it ain't right. (i'm just kidding, i'm not a racist)

Unfortunately we began losing light before we could hit the inside of the car since it was all wire brushed/sanded down to bare metal for the most part. So we quickly sprayed it with primer for the time being.

We then later realized that with great steering angle, comes great responsibility. And the only responsible thing to do at this point would be to cut more stuff with dangerous weapo- tools.

And also beat the fender seams up for preemptive wheel clearance prep. Plus hitting things with things is always good. That's like 95% of all car work, I'm pretty sure..

Before sending the frame off to get the cage fabbed, we needed to figure out ideal seat placement as the bracket for the seat will be hard-mounted to the frame. Luckily Russell and I are near the same size/height, so we can fit in the same seat and drive in the same seat position. We purchased this Planted universal bracket, and it fits pretty damn good. Better than we had hoped for at least.

We also managed to get our hands on this rare HKS cast manifold. It came with an HKS wastegate, but we chose to upgrade to a larger wastegate (hopefully a Tial 44mm) and sold it.
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Altruist

Okay, so now it all looks like we're getting somewhere. I like when things fit..Rear end assembled. (middle school skateboards = true garage build)

Uhhhhhh sonnnnnnn. #AllGoldErrThang

Here's the 44mm vband adapter plate we had to purchase in order for the HKS manifold to accept the tial.

And now, as we wait to save more money and collect tax returns we found ourselves wanting to keep taking it further. I mean we already painted the underside of the car, so we figured let's clean up the engine bay. We're going to plan on running a custom wire harness and tuck, and we're also going to be plumbing all of the brake lines with our Wilwood pedal/reservoir setup. So we decided to fill/plug all the holes in the bay as well. We prepped all the the areas to be filled with filler by belt sanding them to bare metal, then a rough scuff with 150grit 3M bodywork sand paper, and then finally brake cleaning the area and quick wipe down before applying the filler. We used Evercoat metal glaze putty with cream hardener, stuff is amazing to work with and sand.

Also note, that this was days worth of prep, sanding, applying many layers of filler, mixing...But again, semi to somewhat worth it. We mocked up the front end too just for shitsngiggles.

What do you know about wheel clearance?
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Altruist

Quote:
Originally Posted by madchyers View Post

And that's how much money we have left so far.

We accept all forms of donations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Member Rides and Builds > Member Build Threads - All other makes and models

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page