So since it's so dead in here i might as well put up this project that my friend James and i embarked on back in february of 09'. We started out by finding a clean roller that was pre-75, since in nazi-fornia anything 76' and after requires smog. What we ended up was this 75' sans motor and tranny for $300 out in Lake Elsinore:
I made sure to check the main areas known for rust and was happy with what we had purchased. Here's a few pics of towing to a flat are for the flatbed to load the 914. That's me in the green.
The PO helping us tow it.
Flat area optimal for loading:
Now that it was back at my friend's place we addressed the rust and repaired all of it:
This picture is of the battery tray "hell hole", the original design was flawed b/c rain water would drip onto the battery through a small mesh vent placed directly about the battery. In turn the battery acid would then corrode and rust away the tray and eventually the entire rear suspension console. Normally this determines if a 914 is worth repairing or parted out.
Repaired the area, the welds were done with a stick welder
This is just the right rear tail light area that contained some rust:
Small rust area at the passenger side jack point:
Removed the sound deadening from the floor pans:
Stripped the cabin of paint with aircraft paint remover:
Repaired a few minor areas with rust:
Circled areas had rust and then prepped the bare metal with rustoleum primer and finished it with Por15 anti-rust inhibitor and paint: