LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Install Guide Solenoid C P0763

Hey guys,

I bought my first Lexus a few months ago and I love it but I am a student and found a IS300 for cheaper than usual, but with cheap comes problems...

One of the few problems I had was code P0763 Shift Solenoid C. I couldn't shift into 3rd gear in Auto or M Mode.

I searched and searched and couldn't find any information except an Australian guy working on his GS in his driveway.

So I decided to do it myself,

Firstly disconnect the battery negative terminal.

The jack her up and drain the tranny fluid.

I took off the mount for the exhaust pipe right in front of the tranny valve cover because it was kinda in the way and I didnt want any obstructions.

Then using a 10mm socket with spacer take off the 19 bolts holding the valve cover on.

I used a stanley knife to then cut the gasket maker that was still holding the valve cover firmly in place once all the bolts were out. I used a flat head screwdriver to help wedge it in between the seal so that you can pry the valve cover off. Dont be afraid if you bend the cover at all, you can bend it back into shape once it's off.

Ok be careful taking the cover off because there will still be tranny fluid in the tray and you dont want that all over you or your floor. Keep a roll of shop towel with you because you're going to get your fingers wet. I layed the valve cover straight on the ground below the solenoids to catch all the drips, it dripped for ages!

Ok so looking at the solenoids, the ones on the left hand side of the tranny running from the front to the back. You'll count 1 2 then the 3rd is indented a little and then 2 more. You'll notice the last 2 look different to the previous 3.

The first Solenoid AFTER the indented one is the infamous Solenoid C.

From now on be gentle and take your time. You want to unplug ALL the solenoids and check continuity with your multimeter. I forget the amount of Ohms I got but you should get something like 20 Ohms from all the plugs. I noticed I got a reading from the plug off Solenoid C but the Solenoid itself was not firing.. gently removing the bolts from Solenoid C you need to slowly and gently twist the solenoid so you break the seal on the O-Ring and it slides right out.

Once i had mine out. I got 2 hair clips from my girlfriend and attached one each to the two jumper calipers from my portable jump start battery.

Turn the Battery on and touch the positive to the paddle where you unplugged the connector and touch the negative to the housing of the solenoid. At first I heard alittle noise but it didnt click click click, so I did it again and then it started to click like it should do. It sounded like music to me.

I did this for the next solenoid next to 'C' just to be sure and she sang as soon as i applied current.

SO with that being said, I knew the Solenoid was alittle dodgy and most likely had a bit of gunk in her so she couldn't click away.

I reinstalled the Solenoids in the opposite way I took them out, obviously, plugged them all back in, and went to cleaning the valve cover.

Mine had a few tiny little bits of metal laying on the bottom so I cleaned that out well and cleaned the base of the tranny where the valve bolts on to make sure I had a good clean surface. Make sure you shave off all the old silicone gasket maker.

Once that is all clean and you have bent your cover back into shape you follow the directions on the can of Silicone Gasket Maker and leave your vehicle for 24 hours!! Let it dry properly and retighten the bolt you took off to drain the tranny fluid (I forgot that one and there was a slow leak.. Oops) You should of bought the correct amount of Toyota ATF Type T-IV. Mine took 4 bottles. Once the clock hits the 24 hour mark refill your tranny fluid using a long spout funnel and carefully pour the ATF fluid down the hole the dipstick sits in and you're good to go.

I started the engine and let her idle to warm, then I cycled through the gears slowly from Park all the way through to 2nd giving enough time for the tranny to engage each gear. I did this 3 times. and then rolled down the street in idle and again cycled through the gears in M mode. Checked the level of the fluid again regularly.

All good, I've never had that problem again and I'm able to drive in M mode!!

Car runs great!

Let me know if you have any questions or I haven't explained something properly

Thanks and remember to take it slow and steady

//ModularTurbo
Homestead, FL

Last edited by 02IS300Black; 10-22-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Lurker

I tried to get some pictures up on that post but apparently it didnt work.. still trying..

//ModularTurbo
Homestead, FL

Last edited by 02IS300Black; 10-22-2012 at 03:51 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02IS300Black View Post
I tried to get some pictures up on that post but apparently it didnt work.. still trying..
Yes, picture would be great. I got this code.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02IS300Black View Post
Hey guys,

I bought my first Lexus a few months ago and I love it but I am a student and found a IS300 for cheaper than usual, but with cheap comes problems...

One of the few problems I had was code P0763 Shift Solenoid C. I couldn't shift into 3rd gear in Auto or M Mode.

I searched and searched and couldn't find any information except an Australian guy working on his GS in his driveway.

So I decided to do it myself,

Firstly disconnect the battery negative terminal.

The jack her up and drain the tranny fluid.

I took off the mount for the exhaust pipe right in front of the tranny valve cover because it was kinda in the way and I didnt want any obstructions.

Then using a 10mm socket with spacer take off the 19 bolts holding the valve cover on.

I used a stanley knife to then cut the gasket maker that was still holding the valve cover firmly in place once all the bolts were out. I used a flat head screwdriver to help wedge it in between the seal so that you can pry the valve cover off. Dont be afraid if you bend the cover at all, you can bend it back into shape once it's off.

Ok be careful taking the cover off because there will still be tranny fluid in the tray and you dont want that all over you or your floor. Keep a roll of shop towel with you because you're going to get your fingers wet. I layed the valve cover straight on the ground below the solenoids to catch all the drips, it dripped for ages!

Ok so looking at the solenoids, the ones on the left hand side of the tranny running from the front to the back. You'll count 1 2 then the 3rd is indented a little and then 2 more. You'll notice the last 2 look different to the previous 3.

The first Solenoid AFTER the indented one is the infamous Solenoid C.

From now on be gentle and take your time. You want to unplug ALL the solenoids and check continuity with your multimeter. I forget the amount of Ohms I got but you should get something like 20 Ohms from all the plugs. I noticed I got a reading from the plug off Solenoid C but the Solenoid itself was not firing.. gently removing the bolts from Solenoid C you need to slowly and gently twist the solenoid so you break the seal on the O-Ring and it slides right out.

Once i had mine out. I got 2 hair clips from my girlfriend and attached one each to the two jumper calipers from my portable jump start battery.

Turn the Battery on and touch the positive to the paddle where you unplugged the connector and touch the negative to the housing of the solenoid. At first I heard alittle noise but it didnt click click click, so I did it again and then it started to click like it should do. It sounded like music to me.

I did this for the next solenoid next to 'C' just to be sure and she sang as soon as i applied current.

SO with that being said, I knew the Solenoid was alittle dodgy and most likely had a bit of gunk in her so she couldn't click away.

I reinstalled the Solenoids in the opposite way I took them out, obviously, plugged them all back in, and went to cleaning the valve cover.

Mine had a few tiny little bits of metal laying on the bottom so I cleaned that out well and cleaned the base of the tranny where the valve bolts on to make sure I had a good clean surface. Make sure you shave off all the old silicone gasket maker.

Once that is all clean and you have bent your cover back into shape you follow the directions on the can of Silicone Gasket Maker and leave your vehicle for 24 hours!! Let it dry properly and retighten the bolt you took off to drain the tranny fluid (I forgot that one and there was a slow leak.. Oops) You should of bought the correct amount of Toyota ATF Type T-IV. Mine took 4 bottles. Once the clock hits the 24 hour mark refill your tranny fluid using a long spout funnel and carefully pour the ATF fluid down the hole the dipstick sits in and you're good to go.

I started the engine and let her idle to warm, then I cycled through the gears slowly from Park all the way through to 2nd giving enough time for the tranny to engage each gear. I did this 3 times. and then rolled down the street in idle and again cycled through the gears in M mode. Checked the level of the fluid again regularly.

All good, I've never had that problem again and I'm able to drive in M mode!!

Car runs great!

Let me know if you have any questions or I haven't explained something properly

Thanks and remember to take it slow and steady
Hello can i ask what year your car is mine is a 2005 and the transmission is sealed so no dipstick. Having same problem as yours mine wont go above 3rd gear. Lexus want a fortune to repair it. regards Anthony. email [email protected]
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 09:10 PM

Thanks for the info. It will help alots of people. Codes are headaches. Thanks
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 10:57 PM

here's a pic, the one after the indented one is c, basically the hole you see i had mine out already in this picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9563_1502600197777.jpg
Views:	913
Size:	583.9 KB
ID:	111041  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 11:12 PM

if you get them mixed up, here they are in order from front to back/ 1 to 5 , i had a parts is300 so i went ahead and did all 5 but to get the other 3 towards the front of the car, you'll hafto take the mesh filter thing off(second and third photo) be aware when taking off the mesh filter that one of those bolts is also holding in a retaining clip for the third solenoid(not even sure if the first three are solenoids, not a lot of information on this stuff that's why i'm here to kind of help lol) but once you get the filter down you'll exspose another retaining clip holding the first two solenoids in place by one bolt, unbolt that one and you'll then be able to take out those first two solenoids, good luck and hope i helped some people out, don't be afraid to try it, its simpler than it sounds or what you would think, i thought same .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9571_1502601080986.JPG
Views:	2002
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	111057   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9580_1502601096293.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	499.4 KB
ID:	111065   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9579_1502601113083.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	594.6 KB
ID:	111073   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9568_1502601135504.jpg
Views:	1720
Size:	887.9 KB
ID:	111081  

TobiasSing likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 09:26 PM

Does anyone know the part numbers for the solenoids from #1 - #5 in the pic above?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > DIY/tutorial forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page