IS350 caliper painting & sticker DIY - no 56k - Page 5 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

this will be my first mod, I am going with the red calipers on a black car. I'll post pics when done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 05:00 PM

great diy
post #63 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 08:03 AM
Frequenter

If I may ask, what brand of hi-temp clear sealant are you guys using on top of the other applications (sticker and paint)? Thanks!

ssIS300
'06 CW IS350 Sport Nav/ML/HID
'02 CW IS300 E-shift sold

post #64 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 10:22 AM
Deity

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

nice writeup man! good work!
post #65 of 78 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 02:49 PM

Garage
Nice write up. I think im gonna paint mine red. Ahaha
post #66 of 78 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isthrizzy View Post
Soo, jacking, that really sucked, don't be an idiot like me. I figured there'd be jacking points behind the front wheels, but nothing was too apparent there. I look in the manual, and the jack point is down the centerline of the car, right around where the oil pan is.....kinda strange.

So I put the car on ramps, look under, and I see an indent that looks like a place where a jack would go. I press on it, seems pretty firm. Anyway, I start jacking from that point, and then smash! my damn jack goes up into the underneath of the car.

Turns out these are just plastic covers (which I knew) but with no support underneath, which I didn't know. I just missed puncturing my f'ing radiator by an inch!!

The actual jack point is on a cross brace about a foot behind this.

The shitty part is that I have a standard jack, and there is no way to get the jack back this far without first putting the car on ramps.

I'm sure there's prolly a decent place on the side of the car, but I figured I'd just follow the recommended jack point in the manual, which obviously I hadn't had enough coffee yet to comprehend.

I'm wondering, if I get a flat, how the fcuk do I jack up the car considering the location of this front jack point??

OK, I just picked up my 2011 IS350C, Matador Red/Alabaster and my first mod is to paint the calipers black (don't know if the red would detract or look funny with the Matador Red). Now that I've read the above, I'm wondering where to place the jack and car stands. Also, I'm only planning on doing the fronts. Can I only use car stands on the front and leave the back wheels on the ground? Since this is such a new car, I'm a little paranoid about putting the car on stands.

Thanks for any feedback.
post #67 of 78 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Geezer

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yangster View Post
OK, I just picked up my 2011 IS350C, Matador Red/Alabaster and my first mod is to paint the calipers black (don't know if the red would detract or look funny with the Matador Red). Now that I've read the above, I'm wondering where to place the jack and car stands. Also, I'm only planning on doing the fronts. Can I only use car stands on the front and leave the back wheels on the ground? Since this is such a new car, I'm a little paranoid about putting the car on stands.

Thanks for any feedback.
See the pic on post 59 of car on jack stands. You can just put the front up if you chock the rear wheels, put it in park and make sure the e brake is on. I only have two jack stands and that seems safe enough to me. In fact, I'd rather not have all four wheels off the ground at one time.

If you use the two part paint with the hardener, you'll probably only need half a batch mixed up.

MOLON LABE
post #68 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Frequenter

That's awesome.. I've always taken my calipers off when painting them, but this looks so much easier.
post #69 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Lurker

Great write up and responses. The calipers look horrible when aged and weathered.

I plan on doing mine soon, before winter. I am trying to decide on caliper color with my Black Onyx IS. Red, black, or gold. Hmm.

-Jimmy
2001 IS300 Black Onyx with '04 motor swap and MT.
post #70 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 06:59 PM

I did the calipers on my 300. 4000 miles later and still looking good. No boiling, chipping, flaking. Just be sure to clean them really well. I went through three cans of brake cleaner and used one can of caliper spray paint for each axle.

2002 IS 300 MT Onyx Black - SRT High Flow Intake w/ECU, Megan Racing Headers, TS PNP O2 Delete, Figs #1 LCA Poly Bushings, Clutch Dampener Delete
post #71 of 78 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 04:47 PM

Nicely done, I actually just spent the entire weekend repainting all of my wheels and Calipers on my 01 IS300. Really glad the job is done

post #72 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Lurker

Great write up... It gave me that little push to do it. I used the DuPont brush on paint from pep boys and it came out great. I used the spray paint kind on my prelude and I would def recommend the brush on over the spray especially if your not planning to take the calipers off. If you buy a bunch of dif. Size art paint brushes you can really get all of the small spaces and details. I took my time on mine and finish product was great! If yours are still unpainted for less than $30 and a day of work you will have outstanding looking brake calipers
post #73 of 78 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 01:32 PM
Lurker

thanks for the post. bought mine with them painted but they're peeling. gotta paint them soon.
post #74 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 08:45 PM
Frequenter

Great post, thanks for this. Will be doing this in the spring as soon as all the snow melts!
post #75 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 12:13 PM

Great DYI Cdeslandes!
I followed your steps and it worked like a charm. I purchased the G2 yellow paint kit. I thought the brush marks would be a problem. After the second or third coat, the brush marks evened out. Throwin' the Lexus Decals on the capliers really made it look OEM.

Since i've only seen Black Pearl Sapphire with Gold paint, I didn't know how yellow would look. I'm happy with the results.
IS350 caliper painting & sticker DIY - no 56k-brakes1.jpg
IS350 caliper painting & sticker DIY - no 56k-brakes5.jpg
IS350 caliper painting & sticker DIY - no 56k-brakes4.jpg
IS350 caliper painting & sticker DIY - no 56k-brakes3.jpg
IS350 caliper painting & sticker DIY - no 56k-myis-june.jpg

I wish my Volt 3k fog kit looked decent without the yellow overlays. I think it would look better without the overlays.

MemphisDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > DIY/tutorial forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)