Is300 Engine Mount Replacement / install - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is300 Engine Mount Replacement / install

So after boosting my Is the left engine mount got weak and started to crack. Before any serious damage happened I ordered new Megan replacement mounts and figured I would take some pics along to help guide others planning on replacing engine mounts in the IS300.
Please use this guide at your own risk and only proceed if you are technically inclined and capable, I am not responsible for your actions or mistakes and if you damage your vehicle. A shop lift is the easiest way to this procedure. You will need a trans jack and adjustable support jack also.
Start with a cool engine and remove oil filter to gain access to left side mount top nut. Remove the center 17mm top nuts from both left and right mount brackets. The left side mount nut can be accessed from top, the right side I used a stubby 12point 17mm wrench and loosened from underneath.
Remove the radiator top mount brackets 10mm bolts and just lift the radiator slightly from base.
Depending on how your engine is of you are NA or Boosted check other things like catch cans, hoses and wires for enough slack that when engine is lifted few inches they wont break.
Now lift vehicle and undo power steering line bracket on left side of sub frame secured by a 10mm bolt. Loosen 2 17mm engine mount nuts on left and right side mounts. Unbolt Down pipe or whatever exhaust pipe you have.
Remove splash shields if you have any and unbolt the V brace. Be careful the No 2 control bushing might move down, so when the brace is removed snug the 17mm bolts for bushings back in so they don't pop out.
Put the support screw jack under oil pan with a block of wood and lift engine slowly. You can feel the movement in the mounts they are free at this time. But you need more clearance to get them out and swap new ones in.
Now position a Trans jack under the sub frame and Unbolt the steering rack and support it on jack. Mark the subframe with white out on left and right sides.
Loosen the 4 17mm nuts securing the sub frame to the body, it will move down slightly but because the sway bar control arms and struts are holding it still it wont come all the way down.
Have a friend pull down on Sub frame a little bit while you take one mount out at a time. Swap the metal hat and rubber cap on new mounts and Reinstall.
Install is reverse of removal. Make sure subframe is aligned to the marks you made earlier.
Take your time don't rush recheck everything for tightness and install a new oil filter and refill oil to proper level.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10400...JDKs4iB5frZzwE

Like a well spent day brings happy sleep. A life well spent brings happy death. Leornado Da Vinci

My 03 IS Boost Build
https://my.is/forums/f219/03-is300-5-...-build-475609/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 01:37 AM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

Garage
i wanna do it, but it seem like its such a hassle to do at home.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

It is achievable at home, but vehicle has to be high enough on Jack stands and will be hassle. Shop lift is highly recommended for convenience, especially to get extra subframe clearance.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 12:52 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

At what mileage did your start to fail? I'm probably going to have to order a set as mine is at 130k miles. I wish the original owner would of replaced it with the clutch.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 12:53 PM
Lurker

Any added vibration / noise after install?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Mounts don't fail at certain mileage. You should check engine movement and pry each mount from under vehicle and check for failure. My mileage is 180k and oem mounts were fine until I boosted.
So verify and confirm first then replace.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 01:53 PM
Lurker

Gotcha, Just trying to get an idea of how long they tend to last on the IS.. So far I don't have any excessive movement.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 01:54 PM
Lurker

Did you have any added vibration from the new mounts? noise? just curious cause I put some harder mounts on a different car and cabin noise was pretty extreme.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

There is NO specific mileage interval on the IS when mounts fail. Same general rule applies for other vehicles as well. You can check your engine movement with a friend while in gear and brake depressed, give some gas and see how much engine moves then try same thing in reverse gear. If it seems excessive replace them. I went with the Megan mounts they are solid Rubber not Urethane so there is very little engine movement but no harshness or vibration.

Like a well spent day brings happy sleep. A life well spent brings happy death. Leornado Da Vinci

My 03 IS Boost Build
https://my.is/forums/f219/03-is300-5-...-build-475609/
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 11:54 AM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

Garage
so it's 4 bolts for the steering rack right?

also did you needa get an alignment afterwards?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 06:02 PM
Aficionado

Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Old thread but I have to do mineoon.

Wouldnt it be easier to unbolt the engine block bracket bolts and the lower mount bolts and just pull it out. I imagine you would need some support under the crank balance until you get the new one in. But you would not need to lift the engine much.

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
-- Pres. George Washington
Real gun stats will shock you
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 12:49 PM

I want to do this along with other things but have no tools! Anyone work on 04 is300 in Columbus Ohio???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > DIY/tutorial forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page