Lexus IS Forum banner

How-to: Change your Main Gauge Cluster & Ignition Ring lights (LEDs) *pics*

470K views 642 replies 271 participants last post by  01 SolarYellow 
#1 · (Edited)
When I was researching on how to do this mod, I found all the information I needed from 4-5 different threads. I've merged the threads and all the information and added my own comments/experience to make this DIY simpler. Here goes:

Parts Needed for the main Gauge Cluster:
You need three 4- Star SMT (11mm diameter x 19mm overall - these are the #194 leds)
194 168 W5W 2825 Map Led Parking Signal Marker Bulbs

You need two Tri-Power 3 LED Bulb (15mm x 8mm diameter - these are the #24 leds)
Autolumination Instrument Panel Light Bulbs & Lamps)

Part needed for the Ignition Ring:
You need one #24 led, it can be the 3 led or 5 led matrix.
Autolumination Instrument Panel Light Bulbs & Lamps)

(You might want to buy extra if you want to have a spare handy)

4/29/2008:
Part 2 is now up!

http://my.is/forums/f90/how-change-climate-control-center-console-leds-pics-360155/

=======================================================

PART 1: Removing the Main Cluster Gauge.

All pictures were taken from member redline814 from this thread:
http://my.is/forums/f114/how-remove-cel-trac-lights-233511/

Remove the top 2 phillips head screws...

Remove the screw just below the lower tab (my toe is pointing at it). There are 2 tabs that you will need to pull out on the right side of the steering column.

There is one tab you will need to pull out on the left side of the steering column. Disconnect the connector for the dash dimmer switch.

This is what comes off...

Remove the 3 screws that hold in the gauge cluster.

Left side view...

Right side view...

At this point you can change your Ignition LED. Remove the upper right screw from ignition ring and it should come right out. Remove the bulb and put in your #24 LED.

Once it's working, screw the ignition ring back on. and continue with gauge disassembly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pull out the gauge cluster a few inches. Disconnect the 2 white connectors you see in this pic. They will be more toward the left side.

What the empty spot looks like...

What the gauge cluster looks like...

================================================================
PART 2: Putting in your LEDs.

Twist off the #194 bulbs (the ones marked with a red circle). Remove the bulbs and put in your new 194 LED bulbs.

Twist off the #24 bulbs (the ones marked with a orange circle). Remove the bulbs and put in your new 24 LED bulbs.

================================================================

PART 3: Testing the LEDs.

Now it's time to check if the polarity of the bulbs are correct, if the polarity isn't correct the bulbs will not light up.

Go back to your car and connect the 2 white connectors you see in this pic.

You'll also need to connect the dash dimmer switch.

Turn on your cluster gauge leds to see if all the bulbs light up. Check to see which bulbs didn't light up and reverse the polarity, (take out bulb and twist them in the opposite way).

Once all the bulbs are working, put everything back together.

This is what you should end up with:

I run the LEDS at about 80-85% brightness (pics above were taken at 100% intensity). I haven't heard of these LED bulbs burning out like the older "superstar" led bulbs. I'll be working on the climate controls next to complete the look.

Here are other clusters done by other members:
MAYO:

ALL INFORMATION POSTED HERE IS FOR EDUCATION ONLY. I ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHOEVER MAY BURN DOWN THEIR CAR/HOUSE OR CAUSE IT TO NO LONGER WORK IN ANY OTHER WAY WHILE ATTEMPTING THIS MOD. I AM NOT LIABLE FOR ANY PERSONAL INJURIES THAT MAY OCCUR WHILE DOING THIS MOD ;)

See less See more
#8 ·
can you take a picture of it at 100 percent brightness.

thanks for the writeup

#16 ·
You are correct, I'll update the DIY. Thanks!

can u take pics of what your White Leds look like please :)
I forgot to take a pic of the LEDs before I put them in, but here are the pictures of them from the site:

And I assume the color you want to buy to replace stock is Amber - right?
I haven't seen anyone use the amber yet, so I can't tell you how well they match up. But if you only want to replace a burnt bulb, you can order the part from Lexus.

#20 ·
is it easy to access as well?? This is great by the way.
the ignition light is very easy, refer to this pic:

all you have to do it remove the one screw on the upper right of the ignition. remove the assembly, and you can't miss the bulb/black wire leading to the bulb.

#25 ·
Ok so i just did my climate control and i am noticing i can see everyones LED's through the clear clock display, my friend and i didnt like that so we just took the two clock LED's and dipped the top most 2/3 of the bulb in white paint, BAM frosted bulbs, looks great cant see the two LED's i will post pic soon, later

#30 ·
For real man...post some pics of that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.