DIY: Removing the dash, center console, and painting them *tons of pics* - Page 5 - Lexus IS Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 09:40 PM
S*A*G*E

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Garage
I finally tackled this today (been pushing it away for the longest) and it came out great, this write up was very helpful. Spent the late afternoon and late night doing this and when i put power back on my dash lights dont come on, AC, radio shifter lights arent on. Im assuming i forgot to plug something and i think i know what i missed, but can anyone point me in the right direction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Frequenter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For those that have done this, how did you remove the passenger airbag? Meaning after you removed the four bolts.
Or did you leave it in place when you removed the whole dash?
post #63 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Altruist

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

It stays in place, the airbag cover stays in place on the dash.

post #64 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madchyers View Post
It stays in place, the airbag cover stays in place on the dash.
Thanks for the feedback. I actually got it out and it was very easy. I was just pushing up in all the wrong places.

Also, much thanks for putting this thread together! I couldn't removed everything without it. Now I just need to remove the sticky and paint.

I'm going to use black satin as flat was not available, and I'm thinking I may like it better...we'll see.

Did the airbag have a rubbery surface feel after stripping? I stripped that one piece this evening and thought the surface had a strange feel. I'm hoping that the paint will bond to it.
BTW, I'm trying the Citristrip that was suggested in another thread. So far it is awesome.
post #65 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 08:24 PM
Frequenter

Update on the RustOleum Universal Spray Paint....black satin is too shiny.

Unless you like the classic ArmorAll shiny look without the armorall. I only painted the the airbag cover, thankfully.
post #66 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Frequenter

For those of you that used the Rustoleum Universal Paint - flat black, was the finish smooth or rough?

I ask because I used the Duplicolor Vinyl flat black and it leaves the surface rough to the touch. I've only painted the airbag cover and part of the console, so not to late to switch to another brand if it's a little smoother finish.

Last edited by chashsportx; 10-26-2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: correction
post #67 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 09:26 AM

awesome write-up!!!
post #68 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This is great. Its about that time for a touch up.
post #69 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madchyers View Post
Everything was repainted
I'm late to the party, I know. But...I completely understand what you mean by "everything" being repainted...but I am not sure if that is literal. I will be taking this job on at some point in the near future..unsure if it is safe to paint the ENTIRE dash or not. My whole piece is melted/scratched/blotched paint. How long has the finish lasted? I would rather not have to do this again for several years. I live in North Texas, (102+ degree summers...) will the paint be effected by this?
post #70 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Altruist

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

The entire dash was repainted, the radio, AC control, vents weren't painted. It's held up strong ever since I painted it. I can vouch for it being in extreme heat over the summer, San Bernardino heat baked the inside of my car while it was at my mechanic's house for a few months. It's held up great so far.
post #71 of 107 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 05:58 AM
Frequenter

I guess I put this job off to the side long enough. I started it last night I wanted to see if warm soapy water would just eventually wipe off the sticky material. Of course didn't do too well (first pic). Then I ate dinner and all of a sudden had a thought of to use rubbing alcohol to see if that material would come off. It did, with ease too! I only did it on the parts that have the really sticky material like everyone else did I'm unsure if I want to do the whole dash, if I decide to do the whole dash I might buy the paint stripper. I did it with the dash in the car because I wanted to see what would work. So far the rubbing alcohol is doing ok.

What do you guys think? Do you think I should just continue or go with the paint stripper route?

Before, also with trying to use warm soapy water.

How it looks at the moment. I swear I only wanted to do a little spot.HAHA. I left the inside edges alone so when I pull the dash out I will have better angles to get to it. Of course that's if I don't do the entire dash.

post #72 of 107 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 06:14 AM
Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTL808 View Post
I guess I put this job off to the side long enough. I started it last night I wanted to see if warm soapy water would just eventually wipe off the sticky material. Of course didn't do too well (first pic). Then I ate dinner and all of a sudden had a thought of to use rubbing alcohol to see if that material would come off. It did, with ease too! I only did it on the parts that have the really sticky material like everyone else did I'm unsure if I want to do the whole dash, if I decide to do the whole dash I might buy the paint stripper. I did it with the dash in the car because I wanted to see what would work. So far the rubbing alcohol is doing ok.

What do you guys think? Do you think I should just continue or go with the paint stripper route?

Before, also with trying to use warm soapy water.

How it looks at the moment. I swear I only wanted to do a little spot.HAHA. I left the inside edges alone so when I pull the dash out I will have better angles to get to it. Of course that's if I don't do the entire dash.

Rubbing alcohol may work, also give denatured alcohol a shot... I plan on doing this same thing step-by-step, but I'll be using iso alcohol with a microfiber cloth instead of soapy water for prep. I've done a fair amount of painting in my years as a sign maker, soapy water has the potential to leave a film behind and/or other contaminants.

-Nick
03 Yellow IS300 AT SOLD
2018 Mustang GT
post #73 of 107 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 06:21 AM
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by njshorts View Post
Rubbing alcohol may work, also give denatured alcohol a shot... I plan on doing this same thing step-by-step, but I'll be using iso alcohol with a microfiber cloth instead of soapy water for prep. I've done a fair amount of painting in my years as a sign maker, soapy water has the potential to leave a film behind and/or other contaminants.

Yes sir, iso is what I used.
post #74 of 107 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 06:32 AM
Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTL808 View Post
Yes sir, iso is what I used.
See, you're a genius and didn't even know it :-P

rep

-Nick
03 Yellow IS300 AT SOLD
2018 Mustang GT
post #75 of 107 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 08:15 PM
Frequenter

well boys/girls i completed this mission lol before pics are a few posts up so here are the after:

oh and then my LED lights came in for the dash and the ring so i put'em in! Some of the numbers look kinda white i personally think its the camera (iPhone) because it doesnt look like it in person. Fuel gauge looks dim because of the angle im at.. but oh well photography isnt my job! lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > DIY/tutorial forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page