User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Guru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

DIY for pulling Alternator??

does anybody have a DIY or pointers for removing the Alternator. i have everything unbolted i just cant pull the actual unit. im having a hard time clearing the lower bolt that holds it in place and the fans. any pointers? do i need to remove the pulley?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 01:37 PM
Immortal

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

I think i can pull that baby out in about 15 minutes because i had issues with it before and had to have it tested. The bottom of the alternator sits on a long threaded stud, so you need to pull it forward to clear it. unfortunatly, the rad fans get in the way so you have to remove the 6 10mm bolts for the fan assembly and push the fan assembly up alittle while freeing the alt from the mounting stud. I was able to wiggle the fan assembly enough to clear the pulley, then dropped it down, moving the lower coolant hose over by hand so it can squeaze thrue to clear. I made the mistake of cutting one of fan cover fins the first time because i could not get it to clear and was in a hurry(didn't loosen the fan shroud). since then, i epoxied the fin back on and was able to get the alt to clear the stud the second/third times after, just be moving the fan shroud around, and swinging the alternator around(while on stud)to clear.

May i ask, what is wrong with your alt?

Here's also the FSM method, which is alittle different and not very descriptive(need to remove a bracket, which i did not see).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 6 - Generator Removal.pdf (39.7 KB, 1842 views)

'02 IS300 MSM LSD

Last edited by jasonm4; 04-30-2011 at 02:41 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 08:10 AM
Immortal

did you get it out Baadhabit?

'02 IS300 MSM LSD

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Guru

Just back into this now. I had to take a break from this. Busy day with the kids

What a headache this is becoming. Add a tight engine bay plus additional stuff like intercooler piping means more stuff needs to pulled out. I tried unbolting the fans which gets a hell of alot closer but still can't clear. One of the fan cover fins is in the way. I'm thinking of cutting it
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Guru

I think the correct way would be drain the rad pull the top hose and the fan assembly then pull the alternator
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by baadhabit View Post
I think the correct way would be drain the rad pull the top hose and the fan assembly then pull the alternator
That's odd that it won't clear for you just by loosening the fans and swinging the alt. I had to really push the fan assembly up out of the way. But you are right, if you have to get that assembly up and out, that would be the right way. I just did this a few weeks ago too. The FSM doesn't really help at all.

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Guru

Don't know maybe I'm missing something maybe it's different for different years.

Before I undid the fan assembly the pulley was rigt behind a solid piece of the fan assembly. Not the fan cover fin as you describe
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Guru

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Immortal

Yea, right before moving the fans, the alt pulley hit right on the corner of the fan motor. Combined with moving the fans(push hard up and to driverside), swinging the alt, and sorta pushing the fin, it came out. No cutting. Hope you do got it

'02 IS300 MSM LSD
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Guru

just wanted to update this thread just in case someone is looking for this detail later on.

in the end i got it out with the help of a friend of mine who is a tech at Lexus. i've come to learn for a stock car what jasonm4444 described should work fine. once unbolted, you have to keep the lower portion of the fan assembly pressed against the radiator while the top portion of the fan assembly is lifted pushing against the upper rad hose and tilted towards the engine. that should work. and i was 99% there but i still couldnt clear the lower alt bolt.

turns out my difficultly was because the mods i had in the way, intercooler piping, tranny cooler, oil cooler and the thicker radiator. the Koyo racing radiator is a little thicker than stock which blocked me from sliding the alternator out between the fans. i had to drain the radiator entirely, remove the hoses then pull the fans and radiator out. then i was able to easily work on the alternator.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 02:38 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

wow thats allot of work just for an alternator...
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I recently replaced the alternator and serpentine belt on my wife's '01. I also came across the lower alternator stud thats just a little to long. I decided to remove the air filter box,drain half a gallon of coolant so I could take off the top radiator hose, remove radiator hold down top 2 bolts/clamps. Lifted radiator up enough to remove the fan unit completely. This made a huge difference in work area for the alternator and serpentine belt. Also spray cleaned the air flow sensor while it was apart. Hope this helps.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 04:35 AM
Immortal

Also, you can avoid removing the radiator fans too by removing the lower mounting stud from the engine block(as mentioned in the diy link below). It does come out, you'll need an E6 torx socket to remove it once you have removed the lower mounting nut. Then the alt will come off with the stud, or basically drop down out then clearence won't be a issue. Just another way to remove it without messing with the airbox, rad, or fans. Why can't they tell us this in the FSM? lol

Edit: found the diy, plus I've done it this way too. Also wanted to add, make sure you disconnect the battery positive before removing the bolted cable from the alt to avoid a short.
https://my.is/forums/f221/diy-alternator-swap-435652/

E6 torx socket used to remove lower mounting stud(to avoid draining and pulling radiator)

Torx socket used here(pic borrowed from link above)

'02 IS300 MSM LSD

Last edited by jasonm4; 11-28-2012 at 07:51 AM.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 10:33 AM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

i pulled mine on my 01 a few weeks ago to access the crank sensor i puuled the stud with 1 of the above sockets and alternator comes right out unless the studs seized then its a project like you had
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 03:05 PM
Guru

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Bumping this for future reference... I have a Koyo but not on boost and I was able to remove just the fans/shroud to access the alternator easily. Lost a little fluid but not as bad if I would have removed the whole radiator. Took me about an hour to do with a buddy's help

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > DIY/tutorial forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page