1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 120 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Extremist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Garage
Thanks for the all the rep guys and im glad i could help out!

___Go Fast or F*** It___

Im your local smarta$$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 120 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Great write up. Just to add my 2 cents, if you don't have someone to hold the belt in place for you, you can put a clamp on the lip of the cam to hold the belt in place.( make sure to protect the belt from potential damage from the clamp.)

2004 Is300
Professional mobile detailer
Pristine Mobile Detailing LLC
post #33 of 120 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Extremist

Garage
yes you can use a little clamp if you need too. you can get away with using a vise-grip to hold the belt for you. you just dont need to clamp the vise-grip on there, just tight enough to hold the belt in place.

___Go Fast or F*** It___

Im your local smarta$$

post #34 of 120 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Frequenter

I have a question about this install. After you align the cam gears paint to the top of the timing cover, then set the crankshaft's sub timing groove to 0, do you leave the car like this after you put everything back together and crank it up with the crankshaft sub timing groove at zero? If not what needs to be done?
post #35 of 120 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Fiend

Quoted: 50 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard_is300 View Post
I did alot of reading and with our motors -4 yeilds the best results with an intake and exhaust. i have the Brian crower 264 cams and valve train, full exhaust, and intake i have the cam gear set to -4 and im all on the stock tune. slapping this cam gear on and setting it to -4 will be fine on stock tune but if your wanting to get the most out of your NA car and have an SAFC or something like that then a tune would not hurt at all!

A stock IS300 can have a cam gear set to -4 without messing anything up.

when you mean valve train upgrade, what did you change, was it the springs, valves them selves or both

MY IS is Boosted with imagination by Sesame Street Performance (lol)
HKS DLI ignition box, PHR alternator 230amp or 250amp peak idk, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Brain Crower 264 cams, SRT Intake with RaceECU, Fidinza adjustment Cam-gear Exhaust set 0, Mishimoto Engine&Trans radiator+hoses, megan racing y-pipe, OEM FRS 4.10 rear Torsen LSD diff, greddy EVO2 cat-back, SSR type CRS wheels, Tokico Illumina 5-way shocks, Cusco blue swaybars and chassis stiffiners..... Doin that all motor build
post #36 of 120 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 09:01 AM
Frequenter

I have a question about this install. After you align the cam gears paint to the top of the timing cover, then set the crankshaft's sub timing groove to 0, do you leave the car like this after you put everything back together and crank it up with the crankshaft sub timing groove at zero? If not what needs to be done?

So nobody knows the answer to this?
post #37 of 120 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Extremist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtstrider View Post

So nobody knows the answer to this?
Hmm I'll try to answer this as best as I can for you. When your setting the timing to the marks that are already on your car you paint them with anything thats easy to see. The cam gears have 2 timing marks and so does the crank pully. you need to align everything so that is 20 degrees Before Top Dead Center. If i am wrong on that please someone correct me. There will be a line on the crank pully that will line up to 0 degrees and you use that as your timing mark. to make sure things are at the right timing position use the DOT's on the cam gears and then check the crank shaft. there will be a line on the crank shaft that will line up with 0 on the timing belt cover that will be your timing mark that you need to use.

And yes when i say valvetrain upgrand i mean springs, retainers, and valves. if i wanted i could raise my rev limit to 7300 rpm but i dont see feel the need to do that.

___Go Fast or F*** It___

Im your local smarta$$
post #38 of 120 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 09:24 AM
Frequenter

What I'm asking is will I tear up my engine if I crank it up at 20 degrees before tdc?
post #39 of 120 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 09:54 AM
Fiend

Quote:
Hmm I'll try to answer this as best as I can for you. When your setting the timing to the marks that are already on your car you paint them with anything thats easy to see. The cam gears have 2 timing marks and so does the crank pully. you need to align everything so that is 20 degrees Before Top Dead Center. If i am wrong on that please someone correct me. There will be a line on the crank pully that will line up to 0 degrees and you use that as your timing mark. to make sure things are at the right timing position use the DOT's on the cam gears and then check the crank shaft. there will be a line on the crank shaft that will line up with 0 on the timing belt cover that will be your timing mark that you need to use.

And yes when i say valvetrain upgrand i mean springs, retainers, and valves. if i wanted i could raise my rev limit to 7300 rpm but i dont see feel the need to do that.

did you have to do any machine work to the stock head for thoughs BC valves to work im just asking because im getting the BC stage 2 cames and decides if i should get the BC springs and valves

HKS DLI ignition box, PHR alternator 230amp or 250amp peak idk, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Brain Crower 264 cams, SRT Intake with RaceECU, Fidinza adjustment Cam-gear Exhaust set 0, Mishimoto Engine&Trans radiator+hoses, megan racing y-pipe, OEM FRS 4.10 rear Torsen LSD diff, greddy EVO2 cat-back, SSR type CRS wheels, Tokico Illumina 5-way shocks, Cusco blue swaybars and chassis stiffiners..... Doin that all motor build
post #40 of 120 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Extremist

Garage
Quote:
What I'm asking is will I tear up my engine if I crank it up at 20 degrees before tdc?
well your engine is not timed right yes you will wreck stuff, we have interferance engines so yes it will tear stuff up if its not done right.

and as for valves no you do not need any machine work if you get the standard size valves. but when i had my head off i had the valves, springs and retainers installed at a machine shop just incase it needed anything. i didnt need anything but i did that just incase tho.

___Go Fast or F*** It___

Im your local smarta$$
post #41 of 120 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 10:39 AM
Extremist

Quote:
If you engine timing is set right it doesn't matter where you crank it from initially.

BBS LMs. 6spd, Supra Internals. Twin T3 super 60s. Haltech e11 , 720cc injectors, Defi Head Up Display. KW V3. 4 Inch front mount. BC Springs, Retainers, 272s. SRT 3" exhaust. HKS 60mm wastegate. Custom 6 pot Big brake kit

404 @ 13 psi

To be installed.
Water Injection
Win racing kit... maybe..
post #42 of 120 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 03:22 PM
Frequenter

Well I just chickened out and took it to a shop instead.
post #43 of 120 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Extremist

Garage
its not bad if you dont do it, it is something that needs to be done right cause if its not your pistons and valves are going to be friends. as long as its done right is all that matters. i made this DIY for people that may want to know how its done and for people who are able to do this to se how i did it.

___Go Fast or F*** It___

Im your local smarta$$
post #44 of 120 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Fiend

Quote:
well your engine is not timed right yes you will wreck stuff, we have interferance engines so yes it will tear stuff up if its not done right.

and as for valves no you do not need any machine work if you get the standard size valves. but when i had my head off i had the valves, springs and retainers installed at a machine shop just incase it needed anything. i didnt need anything but i did that just incase tho.
i thought we had non-interferance engines, cause when my timing belt snapped in my cressida (last updated 5M-GE engine) nothing happen besides my RPMs droped and i rolled to a stop and i was gunning( at WOT) it in the middle of it ;-) and everybody i asked in the past thats builds these motor on the regulary said the same thing about it being non-interferance. I mean think about it we use belts not chains, wouldnt one consider the use of a timing chain a inferance. Chain dont snap like belts do.

post #45 of 120 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 11:27 PM
Fiend

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

All Honda motors are interference motors and they all use timing belts.

Team Image Dynamics/Zapco/Second Skin/Werewolf
IASCA/MECA SQ judge and competitor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > DIY/tutorial forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page