LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 10:41 PM
Frequenter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Good video froggy!

Had mine give up @ 192k (drivers side)

Replaced it today in about an hour and a half.

09 MSM ISF

RR | HP |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 10:41 AM
Frequenter

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Glad to help!

2015 Merc 350GLK, 2007 BMW 328i coupe, 2004 Corvette Z06, 2004 IS300, 1995 BMW M3, 2013 Z06, some SUV's, some gone.

SCCA Regional SOLO champion 06,09,10,11, & more

My Car Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/1947froggy?feature=guide
post #78 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thumbs Down

I know this is an old thread so hopefully someone can answer. So, I tried my best to follow all directions carefully. Just like everyone else I had the hardest time with the two rods. I got frustrated and just quit. Does anyone know where I can buy the two replacement clips for the rods? I want to go ahead and order it because I will more than likely break it. Thanks in advance.

post #79 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 05:26 PM
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISGirl0119 View Post
I know this is an old thread so hopefully someone can answer. So, I tried my best to follow all directions carefully. Just like everyone else I had the hardest time with the two rods. I got frustrated and just quit. Does anyone know where I can buy the two replacement clips for the rods? I want to go ahead and order it because I will more than likely break it. Thanks in advance.
Used to be Sewell but it appears their online parts are closed.

Someone will probably chime in, sorry I can't. The clips will not break "IF" you press in the right direction (video) to unlatch them. If you just jack around with them, yeah they'll break. Use a small inspection mirror & small bright light to SEE first which way they go.

2015 Merc 350GLK, 2007 BMW 328i coupe, 2004 Corvette Z06, 2004 IS300, 1995 BMW M3, 2013 Z06, some SUV's, some gone.

post #80 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 10:19 PM
Frequenter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

So I just recently replaced my driver side lock actuator and used this thread to complete the job. One hazy area where it wasn't pictured or documented much (except for Foggys video) was the handle and lock rods and the little clips that need to be removed prior to sliding off the rods. I've taken the liberty to take those photos and will attempt to explain how to remove them as easy as possible.

1) In this first picture below, you'll see the outlined clips on both the gold rod (handle) and the silver rod (lock). Once you understand which direction they'll need to go, it's a simple nudging them with your flat head screwdriver. The arrows will explain it, however I recommend you take a look inside and get familiar with the area first. On the gold rod (top white clip), the clip itself needs to be moved towards the inside of the door panel (like towards your seat if the door was closed). On the silver rod (bottom white and red clips), it's easiest to pull the rod up as far as it can, and then remove the red clip first followed with the white clip... These will go upwards (or pretty much towards the front of the door/car, but the clip itself moves up).

2) Unfortunately, this only shows the direction of the clip that attaches to the gold rod (door handle rod). However you'll see the clip detached from the rod... Just to give you an idea. Also, if you look carefully, you'll see the white and red clips that attach to the silver rod (lock rod) below detached.

3) Once you remove the clip from the gold rod, the rod itself will be hard to remove by hand. I found it easiest to use pliers to sandwich the end of the rod and the piece that it's connected through (explained in Foggy's video and also illustrated below).

I hope this helps clear up some of the rod issues that everyone may have while getting into this project. It took me about 20-30 minutes on figuring out where and how the clips worked since there weren't any clear pictures or documentation over it. Hopefully this helps get you through it quicker than I did. Good luck all!

PS: Great write up btw OP!

Last edited by toneekay; 05-27-2018 at 05:46 PM.
post #81 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 11:48 PM
Frequenter

Excellent additional info.

post #82 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy47 View Post
Excellent additional info.

Between OP, Froggy and Toneekay this is an excellent DIY. My driver door lock stopped working with the FOB but I could hear it trying to do something, so I ordered a motor from Amazon using the info in this thread. I took my door apart and was stumped when looking at the rods - until I found Tonee's photos with drawings. If you can't figure it out after looking at your own door and looking at the drawings then take it to a shop.

One additional point of information if you are replacing the motor: Take pics as you disassemble. There is a small tab on the actuator motor that fits into one of two holes that are right next to each other on the frame that holds the actuator. I made the mistake of placing the tab in the wrong one and could not get the door to lock at all (even with the key). The next day I took it apart again and moved the tab to the correct hole and it's now working flawlessly.

Thank you to all who added to this DIY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > DIY/tutorial forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page