User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 82 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's funny how it's an Aisin door actuator. Today was a pain the clips are the worst thing. Anyone actually have the part number to the clip in the first step. Also figure out an easier method without breaking those two fragile clips

Live Life With No Regrets!

2003 IS300 | Black On Black |5 Speed| Sports Design| LSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:06 PM

Had trouble with the rods too

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunktwo View Post
For this step.. i was able to find the clips you were talking about. But i was not able to slip the bar out. How much force does it take? Did you take it off from the inside? Or is there a way to do it from the outside...
I couldn't figure out how to remove the rods. I unhooked the plastic clips that lock the rods into place. But the rods wouldn't pop out. I gave in and removed the window, which allows you more room to work the rods from above.

Those same plastic clips swivel out of the way and are mounted where the rod ends poke through. The clips act like a grommet. So you need to go to the back side where the rods poke through and spread the grommet tabs a little. And voila, the rods will finally pop out.

Kinda aggravating not realizing this sooner! Doh!
post #33 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Frequenter

Garage
Wish I had read ptazman post about door handle much easier than trying to get my hand up there to get the rod clip off. Hardest F ing thing to do man that pissed me off, to late now broke the clip on door handle so must replace that part now .This is probably the least explained task & the hardest, really need to know whats up there before start pulling & pushing shit, so go slow here friends this is cursing territory

toy 4R sr5 dorado gold 4x4 01 is300 black on black

post #34 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Follower

Quoted: 34 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff310 View Post
I couldn't figure out how to remove the rods. I unhooked the plastic clips that lock the rods into place. But the rods wouldn't pop out. I gave in and removed the window, which allows you more room to work the rods from above.

Those same plastic clips swivel out of the way and are mounted where the rod ends poke through. The clips act like a grommet. So you need to go to the back side where the rods poke through and spread the grommet tabs a little. And voila, the rods will finally pop out.

Kinda aggravating not realizing this sooner! Doh!
yeah i finally figured it out.. i ended up posting a DIY on how to just replace the motor in the actuator..
post #35 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Lurker

did this on sunday. great info!

Both front doors. Got trouble only with clips. Passengers door i removed the outside handle to get to the clip part. then you can undo the clip with fingers from outside. on drivers door it was a little different because of the lock system being in the way and could not take all handle out but still easier than trying to pull the plastics out when you cant see it. i just used a screwdriver to push the rod out.

i got 2 questions thou. i got a 04 IS300 and my doors lock once i put it in gear, but the doors dont unlock after i shut the engine? is it supposed to be that way?
and other thing is that i got a little resistance opening drivers door from inside. i think that has something to do with the car locking itself also.
post #36 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Deity

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Did this today. By far the hardest part was getting the door handle rod off. As others has said, flip the clip upwards first, then push toward rear of car. For the pink one, flip pink clip upwards first, then flip white clip upward, then unhook rod from clip (away from the outside of the door. Also, the passenger side only has one rod. Lastly, for me I find taking apart the handle did nothing for me. In fact, it was easier to leave the torx screws and the handle in when I need to push the rod toward the rear of the car to undo the door handle rod. Also, to be clear, you have to loosen the lower cover as well, as the actuator comes out from the lower opening.

Edited:

Ok, I just realise Jason posted a diagram with parts, and from that it does look like there are two parts that are near the handle (and I recall I only put one of the part back in). They're the outside handle retainer and outside handle protector.

03 CW | Tokico White| EiBach Prokit | Tom's RSTB | L-tune Red Sway | Works VS-XX gold 18x8.5 +45/18x9.5 +45 | Hankook V12 215/40/18 + 225/40/18 | JoeZ | Dezod green header | RMM Front/Side/trunk spoiler + Carson rear lip | 03 SD Grill | Ebay oem style Headlights | JDM Dark Chrome Tails | Kenwood DNX7100 | Kenwood GTM-10 | JBL MS-8 | JDM Double Din | Focal 165VR | Infinity 6932 | ID IDQ10V3-4 IB Rear Deck | Alpine PDX-5 | Dynamat Extreme | CompuStar
My pix whoring thread

Last edited by Johnnysks; 09-12-2011 at 03:05 PM.
post #37 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 06:35 PM

Old thread, buti just fixed the actuator on my girlfriends is300.

I didn't buy a new motor. There is a way to fix it at no cost, just your own time to do it.

I took everything apart. Once I got to the motor, there is two tab holding the motor together. Pry it off. Once inside the motor, on the other side of the white plastic piece, you'll see a square looking metal piece. Take it out and clean it off.Wrap aluminum foil and install back on. Plug in just the motor to the harness. Press the button by the door latch on the door jamb, and then use your fob to lock/unlock. This should work.
post #38 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Lurker

Just fixed my driver door actuator using this thread, great write-up. Took about 2-3 hrs and cost about $10 in parts and tools.

2003 Onyx Black IS300 5-Speed
post #39 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 09:11 PM
Frequenter

thank you!!!
post #40 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Frequenter

post #41 of 82 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Frequenter

post #42 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 09:45 AM

wow best forum!

03' GEN 1 IS300
post #43 of 82 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 03:37 AM

Is300_tinez2...thanks for the excellent tutorial. I was able to get a couple motors from Ebay for $5/pc and fixed the actuator...saving myself hundreds of bucks in parts and labor. The project took me more than 3 hours...spent most of the time dealing with the lock rods, modifying the motor to fit correctly, and figuring out the internal parts to link everything back up. Here are some tips I've learned in the process...

1. Remove the lock rods (drivers side) - First, remove the front rod (lift the white clip up so that you can get to the red retainer...then swing this off the rod; after that push the rod out horizontally towards the left side). The rear rod is harder to remove because the tip has a notch in order for the clip to lock on tightly and also because you have less room to work with. To remove the rear rod, you'll need to swing the white clip up to loosen its grip, then you might have to use ALOT of force to push the rod towards the rear. This step alone took me almost an hour. I ended up taking a long screw drive/hammer and punched the rod off the clip (though re-inserting it was much easier).

2. The replacement motor - most replacement motors are Mabuchi motors made for different applications, so it may not be a plug & play thing. My motor has a slightly longer drive that needed to be shortened w/ a dremel or drill (using a medium grinding bit). Also, the drive is completely round, so I had to grind it flat on one side to fit and secure the worm gear. Before putting the cover back on, test the worm gear with your fingers to make sure it's turning freely. If it's too snug, you may have more grinding to do. Note: if your replacement motor has a drive that protrudes on the back, you'll need to grind it flush.

Good luck!
post #44 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Lurker

I think that's how they spell Asian.

None the less, it took me less than 2 hours to do this much in part to everyone else's struggles, including cleaning everything before re-assembly. Now I have to clean the rest of the interior so it matches

Yup, that little white clip under the pink one was indeed a PIA, but using a flat blade screw driver helped get that loose after three tries. During re-assembly, that rod actually went in it's hole all by itself. As for the big rod, once in it's hole, I stuffed a rolled up towel in the outside door handle so I wouldn't have to hold down the rod to snap the white clip back on. Should have done that during diss-assembly. I also suggest carefully removing the rubber from the lower window track and totally removing it. Have no fear, it goes back together just fine, just make sure you get the tab in it's proper location before installing the lower screw. The rubber just slips back in with no trouble.

Thank you all so much that contributed to this thread.
JimmyJ

1967 Chevy Malibu, 350 FI, fact. A/C and MUCH more.
2005 Pontiac GTO, Yellow M6, need I say more.
2002 WRX (great winter rig)
2006 RX330
2003 Lexus IS300, just plain CRASHED with SD Wheels.
post #45 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Glad to help you boys while i could. no more IS here.. lol

Priscilla
Lady Lexotic Concepts
'01 BO | '03 TCM | '07 ISX50 OB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Lexus IS > DIY/tutorial forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page