21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Follower

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)

Sportcross - Turbo,GTE,E-Manage, and MORE

Iv had many is300's and have been on here a while. Both my previous is300's were turbo one on a stock motor the other on a gte bottom end. Three years ago I got out of the game to buy a suv (Needed one for the house and towing) Since my exit things have changed and in October I pulled the trigger on a ISF. The car is near mint with 33k on the dash. Being my drive is so crappy to work I didnt want to drive it every day, so my IS300 daily search began. Upon looking I came across the unicorn which is the Sportcross. I have only seen one on the road ever and fell inlove. I went to look at the car and using the lexus app found the car was very well maintained. The exterior and interior was new perfect so I picked it up. I drove from chicago to detroit for it and it was worth it in my opinion.

Here is the car the day I bought it. Dont mind the ugly wheels,floor mats and nasty red calipers.

Finally home

I have a lot headed this cars way and will post as I go

02 Sportcross, 08 ISF

My Sportcross Build : https://my.is/forums/f219/sportcross-...e-more-567122/

Last edited by lexusboy718; 01-10-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 07:24 PM
Aficionado

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Welcome to the site, didn't know there was a Lexus app. What plans do you have for this car as a daily?

13 J8A FR-S Series 10
02 CW Sportcross rebuild in progress
02 BO Sportcross 2jzgte build in progress
11 SW Tundra DC TRD supercharged

02 MSM L-tuned Sportcross 5 Speed Sold
01 DWP IS300 Sold

Sportcross owners group on facebook

My Story: https://my.is/forums/f219/sportcross-...8/#post7991882

My For Sale: https://my.is/forums/f99/sportcross-s...hifter-438917/
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Follower

Thanks curran been here since 2007 love the site and everyone willing to help on here

I plan on building the block I have sitting in my garage. I have brand new gte pistons and rods up in my attic from my old days i never used.

Heres my old cars
01 stock internals on a Turbonetics kit with kaminari full lip kit

01 gte internals,head gasket and custom kit everything i made with the exception of the turbo manifold ran on a f10x and did close to 450whp

02 Sportcross, 08 ISF

Last edited by lexusboy718; 01-07-2016 at 07:05 AM.

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Follower

Today after work I did some cosmetic items along with some maintenance items.

I got emusa coilovers but they failed in 2 weeks!! See page 3 for the suspension update. When I took apart the front you can clearly see that the lower ball joints, front sway bar bushings, sway bar links and even the strut mounts were replaced and brand new. The seller told me this was done but you never know if its smoke or not. I replaced the rear sway bar bushings and links as well.

Also did a paint correction. I wet sanded the some problem areas used a microfiber cutting pad finished with a nice finishing waz and i gotta say im thrilled with the results. It looks new and the paint has amazing depth.

After all that I did a brake flush, oil change, spark plugs and a air filter which was nasty. Plasti diped the wheels and got rid of those ugly red calipers.

Pretty happy with the results. Ill post some day time photos as well

02 Sportcross, 08 ISF

Last edited by lexusboy718; 02-15-2016 at 07:46 AM.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Follower

On my test drive of the suspension I stopped at my storage unit to grab the block from my old IS. Little more rusted since the last time i say it but once my machine shop gets it she will be as good as new.

I have some gte pistons and some brand new gte rods in my garage attic. So hopefully on Saturday i will be dropping the motor off to get going. Im gonna use the Apex Engineering who is the same guy who does all of the machine work for Sound Performance not to mention a insane amount of 2j's all over.

Ill be doing the following:
GTE Pistons with new rings
GTE Rods
Clevite Bearings and Thrust Washers
GTE or GE head gasket haven't decided yet
OEM Water Pump/Timing Belt Kit
New OEM Oil Pump
All OEM o-rings and gaskets along with sealant
Head will be checked and new valves,springs,the whole nine will be all replaced and new

Im gonna go for a safe every day 7-8 psi of boost on a Emanage Ultimate as well

02 Sportcross, 08 ISF

Last edited by lexusboy718; 01-07-2016 at 07:07 AM.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Follower

Just spoke with XS Power, Ill be doing their full turbo kit for this build along with a emanage ultimate and injectors (Not sure on the cc yet)

Ill be updating this build as I go and will put plenty of the photos up of the turbo kit for others who are on the fence. The goal here is a nice reliable boosted is300 that i can drive every day anywhere
c1L likes this.

02 Sportcross, 08 ISF

Last edited by lexusboy718; 02-13-2016 at 10:38 AM.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 12:47 PM
Aficionado

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Garage
Nice. Always liked the wagon in GGP. Excited to see where your boost endeavors go!

2002 MSM Sportcross
TEIN//Gita//Blitz//Pioneer//FIGS//Work

instagram - ellis300
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusboy718 View Post
Just spoke with XS Power, Ill be doing their full turbo kit for this build along with a manage ultimate and injectors (Not sure on the cc yet)

Ill be updating this build as I go and will put plenty of the photos up of the turbo kit for others who are on the fence. The goal here is a nice reliable boosted is300 that i can drive every day anywhere

Amazon.com: XS-Power T3 GT35 Turbo Charger Anti-Surge 500+ HP + Oil Fitting Complete Accessories Kit: Automotive

Subscribed. cant wait!
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Follower

Update: Dropped off my block and head at Apex Engineering in Bensenville IL yesterday. This guy is the 2J King around here everyone whos doing a build used him. He had 4 2J blocks a couple gte blocks and one 1J even. Should hear from him in a week of so to see hot to block and crank checks out.

Here's whats going in the block
GTE Pistons ( Newish they were out of a brand new assembled short block)
GTE Rods (New)
New Rings
Clevite Racing 77 bearings and thrust washers

As for the head
New springs
New Valves
New Valve Seals

Everything is going to be gone through and checked to make sure things such as engine deck,head deck,cam lobes, etc is in proper specs if something is off it will be replaced with new.

Once the engine is built it will be checked for squish and quench from that point ill decide to use the ge or the gte head gasket.

02 Sportcross, 08 ISF

post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Update: Dropped off my block and head at Apex Engineering in Bensenville IL yesterday. This guy is the 2J King around here everyone whos doing a build used him. He had 4 2J blocks a couple gte blocks and one 1J even. Should hear from him in a week of so to see hot to block and crank checks out.

Here's whats going in the block
GTE Pistons ( Newish they were out of a brand new assembled short block)
GTE Rods (New)
New Rings
Clevite Racing 77 bearings and thrust washers

As for the head
New springs
New Valves
New Valve Seals

Everything is going to be gone through and checked to make sure things such as engine deck,head deck,cam lobes, etc is in proper specs if something is off it will be replaced with new.

Once the engine is built it will be checked for squish and quench from that point ill decide to use the ge or the gte head gasket.

Apex Engineering huh? I never heard of them. I was planning to go to Sound Performance but since they have him do the work as well I might contact him.

Last edited by jdmAzn11; 01-10-2016 at 07:21 PM.
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Follower

Sound performance uses apex to do the machining on their blocks. If you can't put the motor together years elf then yeah use sp but apex puts the bottom end to make it a short block

Call apex as talk to bill tell him nick referred you and he will help you out. I have done a lot of blocks with him.

02 Sportcross, 08 ISF

post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Sound performance uses apex to do the machining on their blocks. If you can't put the motor together years elf then yeah use sp but apex puts the bottom end to make it a short block

Call apex as talk to bill tell him nick referred you and he will help you out. I have done a lot of blocks with him.

Gotcha. Im planning to go gte internals as well. Thank you, I'll definitely keep him in mind. What made you go xspower and not piecing together a kit anymore? I've read so many reviews saying the quality is basically the same as a generic off ebay stuff
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Follower

Iv built my own kit before and I just don't feel its worth the savings.The amount of time spent on intercooler piping and fabrication isn't worth it. Id rather but a "ebay kit" keep the manifold which is a copy of the Turboeast original, keep intercooler piping and upgrade the turbo, wastegate and bov. Still save over srt and other.

02 Sportcross, 08 ISF

Last edited by lexusboy718; 01-18-2016 at 11:37 AM.
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 08:46 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Do you have to deal with state emissions test?
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Actually I'm not 100% on xs power yet. Iv built my own kit before and I just don't feel its worth the savings.The amount of time spent on intercooler piping and fabrication isn't worth it. Id rather but a "ebay kit" keep the manifold which is a copy of the Turboeast original, keep intercooler piping and upgrade the turbo, wastegate and bov. Still save over srt and other.
I see. I know a few had issues with the welds cracking but I think they have a newer version manifold out now. I wouldn't mind the srt kit but the fact that MO doesn't responds or sends out anything is horrific.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Member Rides and Builds > Member Build Threads - Lexus IS only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page