User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1114 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

EPIC DIY chassis buildup

Ok AAR is doing it the professional way with a body in white and all the tools and engineering in the world. I am doing it in my garage with a a regular body and most of the tools.

Edit: I just noticed there is no stage 1.

Stage 1: But a 99 JDM spec Altezza with a blown diff, and Strip it to the balls. EVERYTHING must go. Shame really as the interior was in decent shape.

Stage 2: Clean clean clean clean. Have to take off all the crap that the factory puts on to keep out water and cut down on road noise. Ive been using a combination of a Sharpened paint scraper and a 4" bench grinder wire wheel mounted to my angle grinder for final cleaning down to the metal.

Stage 2.5: I got ahead of myself and did some welding on the front shock towers. I ve been doing the drill and fill method where you drill through the first piece of metal only and fill the hole with weld to join the 2 pieces.

This method has some advantages as it seems to add the least amount of weight and you can get some of the underneath pieces from the top by following the spot welds. However my A-hole engineer friend came over and informed me that where as it does add alot more strength the the joint a seam is stronger. Think a button shirt and a stitched seam. You are trying to stop the sheets from buckling and flexing between the welds. So alot harder to flex between the 1" long weld. The question is how much stronger? He didn't know. So i think in the key areas i will do a combination.

So im back to clean clean for a while, so i can start the cabin area and jump around the whole thing so as not to add too much heat into any one area.

Im sure this is more academic for you "Lexus" drivers out there. I drive a Toyota.

99 rs200 race/street car now driving (never really finished, More parts than sense, more ambition than cents.

My Chassis Build The "Other" Build

Last edited by gcmbob; 08-02-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1114 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 07:24 PM
Aficionado

here is something thats going to get me rep!!

On the sound material that is in a flat position, ie inside the car, where the passengers feet go there is a patch on all sides. Get some dry ice, I used 36 lbs for the entire car. You crush this up and lay it on the tar which is like dynamat and spread it all over but try to hit the whole surface. Let this do it's magic and be sure to leave a window down so preasure doesn't build up and turn the car into a bomb. Anyways you will hear some noises and that is actully the sound material freezing and turning hard. At this point take a flat head and tap it, it will come off like nothing.

I have done a whole is300 with this method and it worked wonders.

Let me know if you need more information.

Power is useless if you can't control it.
Customized.
post #3 of 1114 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

im way past that point. I used the freeze method and it does work the best. The scraping and cleaning im doing is to take off the seam sealant prior to welding.

99 rs200 race/street car now driving (never really finished, More parts than sense, more ambition than cents.

post #4 of 1114 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Follower

Or if you live up north here, just put it outside for 1/2 hour. =)
post #5 of 1114 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 11:58 PM
Guru of Supercharged ISs

post #6 of 1114 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 07:27 AM
\/ Awesome \/

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddrob View Post
Or if you live up north here, just put it outside for 1/2 hour. =)
I'm gonna have to guess that dry ice is quite a bit colder regardless of where you live

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPoop View Post
This is the future of engine technology. There is a replacement for displacement, and it's called efficiency.
post #7 of 1114 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 01:25 PM
WORLDWIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcmbob View Post
im way past that point. I used the freeze method and it does work the best. The scraping and cleaning im doing is to take off the seam sealant prior to welding.

What I found works best on the seam sealer is to hit with a tourch for a bit and then it just scraps out with little to no effort.

'04 BSM 5-speed
post #8 of 1114 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

accually i have been using a sharp wood chisel to get the bulk off and then hitting it with a wire wheel. it comes very clean and doesent add heat to the metal, not that i expect you were talking about heating it that much.

post #9 of 1114 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

K got some more done. Finished the firewall the rails underneath and the rear seat reinforcment area. started drilling the doors up. Took about an hour to do the left side. Im doing it from the inside so i can do all 4 doors at the same time and jump around between them. In the doors most of it are 3 pieces sandwiched in there. Im doing one and alot of times 2 welds between the existing spots. These are appearantly some of the most important areas. Once i finishe the doors il do the fornt and rear wimdow openings them move on to the rear bulkhead area then tunnel then put it on a rotisserie to get the underside clean and finish anywhere else i missed as well as in the wheel wells.

Last edited by gcmbob; 12-13-2009 at 08:30 AM.
post #10 of 1114 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

More progress, finished driling the door openings and wleded up all the little holes. Only took about 2hours to fill the holes.

Next day was Ash wedensday so we had a holiday, in the middle of the week, gotta love Cayman. So i cleaned all the crap of the welds and primed it to gaurd against rust. Ive been using an automotive primer in a can from a Caribbean company called Automotive Art. It is a hardener based primer that doesent harden in the car because of the pressure or something. Whatever, it works really well and is tough, also can be topcoated in 15 minutes.

Moved on to the rear trunk partition and got that seamed up. the metal is so thin there that i had to do a series of spot welds to make the seam as not to burn through. My welder is running flux core wire, if i used the gas the it would run a little cooler but im lazy and this is working so far.

I got bored of welding and went back to cleaning the rear wheel wells.

Last edited by gcmbob; 05-16-2009 at 10:51 AM.
post #11 of 1114 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 08:38 AM
Test Mule/Parts Breaker

Location: I'm just trying to see how many letters you can fit in this field and still have it display, NV

Looks good.

Team Bukkake: In your face racing...Autocross, Drift, Time Attack and Road Race.
I drive a Toyota/Lexus Parts bin: Sequoia 4x4 driveshaft, Supra TT trans, LS400 throttle body, etc., ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anfro View Post
60% of the time it worked everytime.
post #12 of 1114 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 12:25 PM
Aficionado

Looks awesome. Are you the one from The Cayman Islands interested in the front Brace?
post #13 of 1114 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

yes i am and i still am interested. Youll get my deposit on monday. It looks like i will have to go to the thinner wire with gas now, im not really happy how the weld come out when doing the very thin stuff. Like in the wheel wellwhere the 2 parts of the arch come together. Even ther rear partition when i cleaned it upo came out crappy in some areas. Oh well.

Last edited by gcmbob; 02-23-2007 at 02:04 PM.
post #14 of 1114 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Got a fair bit done this weekend. After i went and got some thinner wire to use with the gas, I 1. Realize this is very different to what im used to. And 2. its not eany easier or forgiving and 3. Im out of gas. Oh well screw it, ill go back to flux core. I got the rear speaker trak done with reasonable cleanlines. One thing i did find though, is that the flux core spark tends to scatter alot less than the gas. This is probably in part due to my crappy welder.

One day ill get a nice miller or something. That being said this thing has paid for itself more times than i can count. Has been flooded in saltwater 2 years ago in a hurricane ,been dropped etc etc and still works pretty well.

So after giving up on that i decided to tackle the windshield and rear winwdow openings. This accually went pretty quick and i got them both done.

I also finished under the front fender brace in prep to put them back on. Hower came up with the bright idea that maybe ill make a stiffer and bigger one. Something like this out of 3/4' u channel steel. something like this.

Any comments?

Last edited by gcmbob; 05-16-2009 at 10:52 AM.
post #15 of 1114 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 07:56 AM
Loyalist

forgive my noobness to this... but why exactly are you drilling and welding? what does it do? it seems very interesting, i just dont understand what it does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Member Rides and Builds > Member Build Threads - Lexus IS only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page