User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Brent's Sportcross Build

Hello Everyone. This build may take a short while to complete in full but step by step Ill try to post as much as I can. ENJOY!

Ive been a Classic Toyota guy the last Several years. Always been drawn to rarer cars. Ive owned 4 1st generation Celicas. Gone through restorations and the last I even imported from Japan. Being in my mid 30s and having kids has changed my state of mind a bit. Having a toy I could truly enjoy more with my family more became increasingly important. That is where my Sportcross journey began. I searched the US the last few years for a nice red or white Sportcross, as I only drive red or white cars. Finally last month one popped up and I jumped on it. Here she is after I got her home and cleaned up:

Im not one to leave a car stock and I definitely like making it my own so I immediately began ordering parts for her.

Here is the list of some of parts I have ordered these last 2 weeks:

Enkei TS-10 Wheels
BC Racing Coilovers
Adj Rear Toe Arms
Centric Rotors
StopTech Pads
Greddy RS Revolution Exhaust (Still Pending Delivery as of 8-6-16)
JoeZ Intake
HKS Hybrid Filter
New 3M Ceramic Tint
and a ton of new OEM parts from Toyota fixing little things.

As the parts started rolling in I got busy doing work

I also had a few rarer parts I wanted for the car. After a little bit of hunting I picked up the following:

JoeZ Intake
BNIB JDM Altezza Grill
Area51 Strut Bar
JDM Altezza Steering Wheel
BNIB JDM Gita Dark Metallic Tail Lamps

Here is a peek with it all installed:

Once everything was installed I still felt like I was missing something. Realized, hey Im driving an automatic car! That was just not acceptable in a good toy car. So I began the hunt for a good 5 speed donor car and picked this one up.

I won't be doing just a basic swap. The entire Engine Harness, Dash Harness, ECU, Cluster, Switches, Pedals, Clutch hardlines, raised transmission tunnel, etc will all be transferred making the Sportcross a proper factory look plug-n-play 5 speed.
(This will not start for a few months)

Also to add to the fun I decided to make things interesting and ditch the rear open differential. Began the task of swapping over a Brand New Subaru BRZ rear end which of course has 4.10 gearing and a Torsen LSD.

Gathered all the required new hardware, bushings, etc. then got it installed.

Well thats it for now. Still waiting on a few parts I hope to have any day and I will update with more. Here are a few more pics. Ill need to get some better pics soon after I get the car cleaned up again. She got dirty while she was under the knife the last few weeks.

Cheers for now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 05:48 AM
Lurker

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Garage
Looks good so far. Keep up the good work.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 02:36 PM
Frequenter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

Congrats!

Hey man congrats on the car! I picked up my MSM Sportcross a few months ago...wouldve loved to find a white or red one. Could you tell me where you sourced the tail lights? Also could you post a better pic of the tail lights? I found BNIB USDM Dark Metallic tails and I think they are too dark for my car. Im not sure if the USDM Metallic is too light. Ive heard the JDM Dark Metallic are lighter than the USDM...so please a pic?

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXElover View Post
Hey man congrats on the car! I picked up my MSM Sportcross a few months ago...wouldve loved to find a white or red one. Could you tell me where you sourced the tail lights? Also could you post a better pic of the tail lights? I found BNIB USDM Dark Metallic tails and I think they are too dark for my car. Im not sure if the USDM Metallic is too light. Ive heard the JDM Dark Metallic are lighter than the USDM...so please a pic?
I ordered them straight through Toyota from the Gita. Id say they may be close to the same as the US model but seem a little darker to me.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 04:36 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

whats wrong with the silver donor car? will you be converting it into auto?
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbowblk View Post
whats wrong with the silver donor car? will you be converting it into auto?
The silver car has some body damage on the rear bumper, rear passenger door, and front drivers side fender. Has near mint full black leather and runs great. I would prefer to sell it with everything i need removed but im willing to include all the parts from the Sportcross to make it a perfect auto. Just trying to avoid the reassembly labor honestly. Will end up putting it back together myself if it doesnt sell before i pull everything however.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 05:19 PM
Aficionado

Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Garage
looking good, glad to see another sportX

2002 MSM Sportcross
TEIN//Gita//Blitz//Pioneer//FIGS//Work

instagram - ellis300
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 07:35 PM
Cherisher

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)

Looks great so far. You're on the right path! Keep the updates coming. Love a good sportcross

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpolston View Post
The silver car has some body damage on the rear bumper, rear passenger door, and front drivers side fender. Has near mint full black leather and runs great. I would prefer to sell it with everything i need removed but im willing to include all the parts from the Sportcross to make it a perfect auto. Just trying to avoid the reassembly labor honestly. Will end up putting it back together myself if it doesnt sell before i pull everything however.
Yeah. That thing looks beat. Can definitely tell even the right rear door looks crumpled.

'03 Wagon - Stock
'02 Sedan - Not Stock

"There's nothing like waiting and getting exactly what you want."
-Hiral
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 12:31 AM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)

i like how i saw 5 rims purchased
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEHEMENCE View Post
i like how i saw 5 rims purchased
Always smart to keep a full size spare!
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 06:24 AM
Frequenter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpolston View Post
I ordered them straight through Toyota from the Gita. Id say they may be close to the same as the US model but seem a little darker to me.

Two more questions:
1. what are the part numbers you used to order them?

2. When you say "close to the same as the US model but seem a little darker to me." Do you mean to the USDM stock lights, or dark metallic lights? Ive seen pictures of the USDM dark metallic lights and they are pretty much black.

ps, I also like your choice in wheels. I am thinking of picking up a set of RPF1's. What size(s) did you go with?
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXElover View Post
Two more questions:
1. what are the part numbers you used to order them?

2. When you say "close to the same as the US model but seem a little darker to me." Do you mean to the USDM stock lights, or dark metallic lights? Ive seen pictures of the USDM dark metallic lights and they are pretty much black.

ps, I also like your choice in wheels. I am thinking of picking up a set of RPF1's. What size(s) did you go with?
1. 81551-53060 and 81561-53060 be sure you order through a Toyota dealer with Japan access otherwise they will tell you they are not available.

2. I had what seemed to be straight chrome tails in my Sportcross. These tails were a nice dark silver as seen in the pic. Not sure the difference with the US Dark Metallic tails.

3. These are a brand new release from Enkei. 5 sample sets were released by Enkei for sale and I was fortunate enough to get one of those through my contacts. These wheels are currently not available in the US yet otherwise.
They are:
18x8 +40 fronts with 225-40-18
18x8.5 +35 rears with 245-40-18
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 01:16 PM
Mr. Roo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It's my dream to build a sportscross, but this inspires me and sends me in the right direction for beginning my sedan!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 06:43 PM
Lurker

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Garage
this is going to be interesting

-proud owner of an 03' is300 5 speed with LSD-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Member Rides and Builds > Member Build Threads - Lexus IS only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page