150Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #211 of 350 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)

So this happened today

It doesn't show in the picture, but my front bumper doesn't line up with the fenders. It's too sunken in so I should have added some material to make it flush. I should have checked it without all the tape on the car before I painted it but it's too late now. I'll probably fix it the next time it needs a respray since I know I'll get rock chips from driving it daily.

Other than that I'm pretty satisfied with the results, not bad for my first time painting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 350 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 09:33 PM
Addict

Quoted: 228 Post(s)

Garage
Nice job man... you work fast!

I Fail at keeping my car clean
post #213 of 350 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 11:42 PM
SEAHAWKS!!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)

Damn, that paint is glossy

Phil
2001 IS300
Engine 2jz-ge w/SRT intake; HP header; Toyomoto ypipe
ICE/Interior Kenwood Excelon w/Nav; Fsport shift knob
Exterior JDM headlights; foglights; taillights; SportDesign grille; RX shorty antenna
Suspension Tanabe coilovers; SuperPro bushings; FIGs toe links
Wheels Volk Racing wheels; Staggered 17x8/9; Conti DWS

post #214 of 350 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Went to Houston Cars & Coffee this morning and Auto Essence snapped a few pics of my car next to dinhsumdaily's HKS IS300.

Also here's a frontal shot my friend took

Last edited by blkaltezza; 08-13-2015 at 06:57 PM. Reason: more pictures :)
post #215 of 350 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

My rear lip finally came in so I fitted it and sprayed it with primer yesterday

Today I painted it after I came home from my summer class

I let it dry in the sun for about 3-4 hours and it was dry to the touch. Then it started to rain so I took it inside and applied a rubber gasket to the lip.

Filament is decent but it doesn't have the bottom tabs like the original carson or trd rear. I'm going to make some out of some aluminum bars tomorrow so it doesn't sag in the Texas heat.

Now for the finished pictures, look I'm rvalero now

post #216 of 350 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Looks great! I have an 01 that will be my project car. It needs a lot of work but I'm not in a rush. I'm in the Houston area as well.
post #217 of 350 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

As you guys know I always post what's going on with my car, whether its good or bad. Well this update is one of those bad ones...

First of all my CEL came on again, so I guess it's not my gas cap. I read up about it and from all the symptoms it's showing its leading me to think that the overfill check valve needs to be replaced. Mike (mm71522) said he had to replace his, and my car is showing the same symptoms as his car. I looked up the DIY and people are cutting the body to get to it. I'm not comfortable with that, so whenever I have some time I'll just drop my fuel tank and replace it instead of spending $700 to let the dealership do it.

The other bad news is that I finally got done painting my rear lip which was the last part of the kit. I thought I was done with bodywork for a while and all I had left was just to cut and buff the paint. However, literally 4 days after I just got done painting my rear lip, my uncle decides to hit my car

The sad part is that my friend wanted to do a photoshoot that day too, so I told him not to take any shots of the rear...

When I got home later that night, I removed my bumper to get ready to fix it. I told my other uncle about what happened, and he was in the middle of fixing the rear bumper on his neighbor's Escalade so he said he would help me fix and repaint my bumper at the same time.

Some close ups of the damage, it doesn't look bad in the pictures but the crash bar almost cut through the bumper.

Today while my uncle was fixing the bumper on the escalade, I used a heat gun to level out the damage. I got it close to how it was before and sanded it down until all the cracks were gone. Then my uncle spread some flexible SEM filler on it and we sanded it down smooth and hit it with some primer.

Tomorrow we plan to spray it with paint if the weather cooperates
post #218 of 350 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaltezza View Post
As you guys know I always post what's going on with my car, whether its good or bad. Well this update is one of those bad ones...

First of all my CEL came on again, so I guess it's not my gas cap. I read up about it and from all the symptoms it's showing its leading me to think that the overfill check valve needs to be replaced. Mike (mm71522) said he had to replace his, and my car is showing the same symptoms as his car. I looked up the DIY and people are cutting the body to get to it. I'm not comfortable with that, so whenever I have some time I'll just drop my fuel tank and replace it instead of spending $700 to let the dealership do it.

The other bad news is that I finally got done painting my rear lip which was the last part of the kit. I thought I was done with bodywork for a while and all I had left was just to cut and buff the paint. However, literally 4 days after I just got done painting my rear lip, my uncle decides to hit my car

The sad part is that my friend wanted to do a photoshoot that day too, so I told him not to take any shots of the rear...

When I got home later that night, I removed my bumper to get ready to fix it. I told my other uncle about what happened, and he was in the middle of fixing the rear bumper on his neighbor's Escalade so he said he would help me fix and repaint my bumper at the same time.

Some close ups of the damage, it doesn't look bad in the pictures but the crash bar almost cut through the bumper.

Today while my uncle was fixing the bumper on the escalade, I used a heat gun to level out the damage. I got it close to how it was before and sanded it down until all the cracks were gone. Then my uncle spread some flexible SEM filler on it and we sanded it down smooth and hit it with some primer.

Tomorrow we plan to spray it with paint if the weather cooperates

I had to replace the overfill check valve last year. I didn't know how to do it so I took it to Westside Lexus on I-10 in Houston. Let me know if you need some help as I would be more than willing to help you so that I can learn.
post #219 of 350 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexhoang3 View Post
I had to replace the overfill check valve last year. I didn't know how to do it so I took it to Westside Lexus on I-10 in Houston. Let me know if you need some help as I would be more than willing to help you so that I can learn.
My buddy works at Westside Lexus and he gets me the hook up on parts

I'll probably do it myself when I got some time, I installed my turbo kit myself a while back so it can't be that hard right?
post #220 of 350 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 11:04 PM
Guru

Quoted: 225 Post(s)

Garage
Your car looks great as usual (other than the bumper ). Have you considered covering the 3rd brake light with a red film? I love the way it looks. Here are a couple pics to give you an idea of what it will look like.

blkdout likes this.

My thread of picture [email protected]: 2003 BO 5MT B01B

5Zigen || Apex-i || ARC Audio || B&M || BC Racing || Carson Tuned || Centerforce || CUSCO || DEI || EXPEL || Fidanza || FIGS || G2 || Greddy || JDMeyes || JIC || Karl Sport || L-Tuned || MONSTER || Optima || Outerwear || PIAA || Pioneer || PLP || SONY || SRT || Swift || TeCK Pro || Token Solutions ||TRD || Tuned Parts || UGO || WORK || VALOR || Valentine1 || VentureShield || Yokohama ||.
post #221 of 350 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvalero View Post
Your car looks great as usual (other than the bumper ). Have you considered covering the 3rd brake light with a red film? I love the way it looks. Here are a couple pics to give you an idea of what it will look like.
It never really bothered me, but it looks good! If I ever get some red film I'll probably do it

Finished repainting my bumper just a couple of hours ago. We're still waiting for it to dry, but it still has some overspray since my uncle sprayed some reducer to blend it with the old paint. I'll need to wetsand and polish it in a few days so hopefully it looks just like new after that.

rvalero likes this.
post #222 of 350 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 04:50 PM
SEAHAWKS!!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)

time to polish the car to blend in with the bumpers

Phil
2001 IS300
Engine 2jz-ge w/SRT intake; HP header; Toyomoto ypipe
ICE/Interior Kenwood Excelon w/Nav; Fsport shift knob
Exterior JDM headlights; foglights; taillights; SportDesign grille; RX shorty antenna
Suspension Tanabe coilovers; SuperPro bushings; FIGs toe links
Wheels Volk Racing wheels; Staggered 17x8/9; Conti DWS
post #223 of 350 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 04:55 PM
Addict

Quoted: 228 Post(s)

Garage
You're such a good DIYer, blkaltezza, and I love your posts. Always full of details and pics : ).
Too bad for your bumper but luckily it looks like you have everything you need to fix those things pretty quick and cheap, so you're all set.
Was wondering if you do all that painting with spray paint (cans) or with a paint gun? Your shit looks good man...
blkdout likes this.

I Fail at keeping my car clean
post #224 of 350 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 04:55 PM
Guru

Quoted: 225 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3_FTW View Post
If he polishes even more, I will need sunglasses to look at his thread.

My thread of picture [email protected]: 2003 BO 5MT B01B

5Zigen || Apex-i || ARC Audio || B&M || BC Racing || Carson Tuned || Centerforce || CUSCO || DEI || EXPEL || Fidanza || FIGS || G2 || Greddy || JDMeyes || JIC || Karl Sport || L-Tuned || MONSTER || Optima || Outerwear || PIAA || Pioneer || PLP || SONY || SRT || Swift || TeCK Pro || Token Solutions ||TRD || Tuned Parts || UGO || WORK || VALOR || Valentine1 || VentureShield || Yokohama ||.
post #225 of 350 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANIC!!! View Post
You're such a good DIYer, blkaltezza, and I love your posts. Always full of details and pics : ).
Too bad for your bumper but luckily it looks like you have everything you need to fix those things pretty quick and cheap, so you're all set.
Was wondering if you do all that painting with spray paint (cans) or with a paint gun? Your shit looks good man...
Thanks! I appreciate the kind words, but I'm just a guy who likes to do things to his car just like everyone else on here

I can't afford to pay someone to do the work for me, plus I'm really picky when it comes to my car. I hate taking my car to a shop because most of the time they won't take care of your stuff. I learned alot about cars when I was growing up because of my dad so these days I end up doing everything myself so I know it's done right and its how I want it.

As for the paint, I use rustoleum spray cans from autozone and go to town, jk

Nah seriously though, I'm using a single stage PPG 202 Toyota/Lexus black and I'm spraying it with my uncle's super expensive Snap-On paint gun. I posted a picture of the paint, hardener, and reducer I was using a few posts back when I was painting the body kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3_FTW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvalero View Post
If he polishes even more, I will need sunglasses to look at his thread.
I was actually planning to claybar and polish the entire car sometime this week to get it ready for StanceNation Texas which is coming up later this month

I got in trouble at work once because my car was so shiny it was blinding the customers as they were pulling into the parking lot. It blinded my manager as he was pulling in once, and when he got inside he was yelling for me. I thought I did something wrong, but he was just like "Why the fack is your car so shiny, it looks like a second sun"
White2003Lexus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lexus IS Forum > Member Rides and Builds > Member Build Threads - Lexus IS only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Lexus IS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. If your address is invalid, you will likely lose access to the site.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Current users viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page